Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 2:48pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you talked to him did he say that it was specifically in Sombo/Wrestling? Yes, I am a semantic asshole and he sandwiches the silver medal between his other SOMBO achievements.

After all of the BS we've seen I'm wondering if he is playing a semantics game.

In other words, he specifically names Sombo before and after the claim, but doesn't say he won a silver medal in the Junior Olympics for Sombo.

Six Regional Sombo Championships, a Silver Medal in the Junior Olympics, and a Gold Medal in the National Sombo Championships.
    I understand the implication and positioning of the comment, but it is weird to use Sombo twice and not use it a third time.

This is why I was checking every event in those years to rule out "oh it was basketball" or some other event. In 87 and 88 he doesn't appear in any record that I read.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 2:50pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Let's not forget that he started when he was 16 in 1988. Which means in '89 he may have also competed (Don't ask me I know absolutely **** about Junior Olympics)
    Yes, there seems to be a 17 years old cut off back then, but I have ran across a few 20 years old divisions. So, I am going to go through 92 just to be safe.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 2:56pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    When you talked to him did he say that it was specifically in Sombo/Wrestling? Yes, I am a semantic asshole and he sandwiches the silver medal between his other SOMBO achievements.

In other words, he specifically names Sombo before and after the claim, but doesn't say he won a silver medal in the Junior Olympics for Sombo.

I understand the implication and positioning of the comment, but it is weird to use Sombo twice and not use it a third time.

This is why I was checking every event in those years to rule out "oh it was basketball" or some other event. In 87 and 88 he doesn't appear in any record that I read.
    I've thought about this too: Could it be Judo? Could it be wrestling?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I've thought about this too: Could it be Judo? Could it be wrestling?
    Yep I have looked at Karate and TKD results in those years as well.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well, I specifically asked him which style(s) of wrestling he medalled in and he indicated only Sombo. That doesn't specifically preclude an additional silver in Basketball (etc) but it addresses your point.

BTW I pointed out to Wil that the rough-and-tumble style he was finding offensive on the original thread was just as much a function of the subforum (YMAS) as anything else, and that if it were in MABS certain kinds of cavalier behavior would not be allowed. Hopefully he rejoins now that the venue has changed.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, there seems to be a 17 years old cut off back then, but I have ran across a few 20 years old divisions. So, I am going to go through 92 just to be safe.
    He told me it was before he received his driver's license, which he received sometime in his 16th year. He was born in June of 1972. We're looking for something no later than 1988, and probably no earlier than 1985 (age 13)

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    He told me it was before he received his driver's license, which he received sometime in his 16th year. He was born in June of 1972. We're looking for something no later than 1988, and probably no earlier than 1985 (age 13)
    Cool, that helps. I've gone through 1987-89 completely plus, wrestling, karate, and the occasional TKD through 92.

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, that helps. I've gone through 1987-89 completely plus, wrestling, karate, and the occasional TKD through 92.
    Good deal. If you do come across documented Sambo results, Sambosteve would probably be grateful for a link.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:32pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His bio states he started training in Sombo in Summer 1988, if he started training in '88 but got the medal before he got is drivers license (also '88) it rules Sombo out as the event he got the medal in doesn't it?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good deal. If you do come across documented Sambo results, Sambosteve would probably be grateful for a link.
    They are all in .pdf files under wrestling. Some years Sombo is separate, other years it is just wrestling results. Since it is under wrestling, I'll go back through and post just the ones that have a Sombo Event later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharabus View Post
    His bio states he started training in Sombo in Summer 1988, if he started training in '88 but got the medal before he got is drivers license (also '88) it rules Sombo out as the event he got the medal in doesn't it?
    No because he said sometime before and not all people get their license immediately when they turn sixteen.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 1/09/2012 3:41pm at .
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast