Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, since I'm apparently not going to get an answer tonight, let me put up what I'm looking at for others to digest:

Here is the official AAU results for the 1988 Junior Olympics Wrestling competition (all 3 styles, Sombo is the 3rd style).

http://www.aauresults.org/jogames/pd...1321402958.pdf

As you will see, there are results for each place from 1st through 5th (fewer in less populated divisions). In 1988, the only 16 year old recorded to have won a silver medal was Scott Sylvester at 112lbs; all other divisions were uncontested. For the 1989 games, in the 17-18 year old division, John Coyle is the only player recorded to have won silver in Sombo (he won at 165).

http://www.aauresults.org/jogames/pd...1206988331.pdf

Now I do not conclude from this that Mr Everidge did not win his silver medal as he claims, but there is certainly no basis for that claim in the official records of the Amateur Athletic Union. If this is an oversight, there will likely be photos, videos, hardcopy certificates, news clippings, etc. I would encourage coach Everidge to post the evidence supporting his claim, as it would definitely be needed to verify.

Again, it's not that it's been proven he didn't win his silver, it's simply that the AAU has no record that it ever happened, despite keeping sufficiently good records to note the silver medal victories of Mr Sylvester and Mr Coyle.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 1/08/2012 1:24am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 1:11am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Wil View Post
    Sure thing,

I have been teaching for several years. The student that has been with me the longest would be a 17 year old. I joined the Police Academy in September and will graduate in June. I have had to put coaching on hold until graduation so I have not coached in some time. Most of my students last approximately 3 months to 2 years. We do the best we can to accommodate those with transportation and other issues and challenges. Often times we are fighting an up hill battle to just get the kids to practice but I can't think of a more noble fight.

With regards to treading in unfriendly territory, I was elected for a reason. I believe in what we do. I believe in growing the sport as State Director and I believe in serving those who can benefit from what I bring to the table. We have made a difference and we stand on principal and I don't have a problem with aggressive dialogue with those who would use disparaging remarks to dishonor a program they know nothing about to make themselves look good in the eyes of their peers.
    And you're an idiot. You want to promote SAMBO in your state and spear head the popularity of SAMBO, go knock yourself out. That may be your forte. Have I dishonored your program or have I attacked your skill and integrity. I think the latter. Only an arrogant person would believe one in the same.

Since you're seeing yourself as some sort of intellect let's break it down for you:

1. Your video is atrocious. Which one? All of them.
    2. By the evidence given to us your skill is minimum at best. You'd be lucky to have a mid white belt underneath me.
    3. You are trying to inform us about the politics of SAMBO, governing bodies and such. Your information is erroneous.

As it has been stated many times in the past; anybody trying to perpetuate the sport (whatever it may be) and all the good it can do should be complimented. If you want to do it my hats off to you. None of this excuses your ignorance, your lack of skill, nor the apparent lack of skills of your students.

Now if this isn't clear to you let me expand a bit more:
    1. Your ignorance -
    a. USA Wrestling is the governing body of SAMBO in the US.
    b. The use of bjj terms on positions that look nothing like BJJ
    c. The poor structure of holding those positions when it was being demonstrated under your instruction.
    2. Your lack of skill- that video in which you demonstrated a poorly executed armbar.
    3. Lack of skills of your students: if you were at least a decent coach it would show in your students.

My advice is to actually recruit a decent coach and you can go do the political thing. Aside from that I think you're full of ****. I don't trust you. Too many red flags.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 1:36am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is Fake,

It is nearly 0100. I am not hear to make enemies or tick anyone off. Please, before making unfounded and unsubstantiated accusations, please, next time, go to the source and just ask. That is all I ask. Good night.
    Show me any accusations I made towards you and I will.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 1:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thank you for your time and attention

Guys,

Oddly enough, I have actually enjoyed our spirited debate. It is unfortunate that we could not find some common ground. There is a substantial amount of anger and animosity driving this board. There is no room in my life for such a thing. I am not holding a grudge against anyone and if anyone is ever in town, feel free to look me up. I wish everyone well and good fortune on your future endeavors. My contact information is listed below if anyone would like to contact me for future reference.

Best regards,

Coach Wil Everidge
    (513) 306-7808

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 1:27pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys,

Oddly enough, I have actually enjoyed our spirited debate. It is unfortunate that we could not find some common ground. There is a substantial amount of anger and animosity driving this board. There is no room in my life for such a thing. I am not holding a grudge against anyone and if anyone is ever in town, feel free to look me up. I wish everyone well and good fortune on your future endeavors. My contact information is listed below if anyone would like to contact me for future reference.

Best regards,

Coach Wil Everidge
    (513) 306-7808
    I think I just hit the nail on the head. You didn't want me to go there did you coach? I know you're not going to be back. I hope I'm wrong about my theory about you.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 6:08pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HereBeADragon,

This is my Coach in the video. They are going over another breakfall drill we teach. Yes he was in WV and yes we often compete in many of the AKJU tournaments. We have limited funds and most of our students can't afford much so we bring those we can afford to bring. We will also be at the KY State Tournament on the 1/28/2012.
    Trying to figure out what AKJU "America's #1 Fighting System" is...

Main site: http://akjuteamamerica.com/
    Rules: http://akjuteamamerica.com/rules.html
    Founder: http://akjuteamamerica.com/donmadden.htm

Flyer previously posted:
    http://www.akjuteamamerica.com/event...rtialFlyer.pdf

I still can't figure out what it means. All Karate JuJitsu Union? Anyone?
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 7:38pm

Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Trying to figure out what AKJU "America's #1 Fighting System" is...

I still can't figure out what it means. All Karate JuJitsu Union? Anyone?
    From the "Join" page:

AMERICAN KARATE & JUJITSU UNION MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION

The American Karate & Jujitsu Union (AKJU) is a non-discriminating Certified Federation, which is open to all styles, ages and belt ranks.
    The AKJU Team America is an International traveling team, which provides the opportunity to compete internationally and still remain within your own Dojo system or Federation
    Looks like a competition organization which tries to get unaffiliated schools together to run competitions/tournaments.

It doesn't look like any sort of ranking organization, nor does it look like it is an affiliation network itself in the sense of paying dues for name recognition.
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 1/08/2012 7:42pm at .

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 7:44pm

NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a basic drill to teach students who are new to martial arts or who have learning or other mental or physical disabilities basic ground fighting positions. Everyone on here seems to think that we are training national level competitors. You are trying to point out errors in a transition or a hold down when we are trying to get these kids to just remember the basics over 1.5 hours per week when we have them in class.

Do you realize how difficult it is to work under these conditions? You have no idea what kind of hurdles these kids face. If we can keep these kids on the right track, you know what, never mind. You would not understand and probably would not care if you did. I think I am wasting my time here. Post what you wish where you wish. All that I ask is that you don't undermine our efforts to do right! Technique, really!!!! You have no idea what we are trying to do. Now I am just getting ticked off! Find a kid with Aspergers, and try and teach him a Rolling Knee Bar without pulling your hair out and then you can start to judge me and our program.
    Yes, I realize. I have worked with youth for most of my career (outside of martial arts). Taught martial arts to kids with Cancer for many years as well.

So, one, I find it sad that you deflect critique of your technique to the kids. This is about you, not them.

Secondly, if these kids are mentally and physically disabled as you say, why are you teaching them submissions? It is not common practice is sambo, judo, or many martial arts to teach young kids subs. Most programs focus mainly on positions, pins, etc. as do youth tournaments. But you are teaching them submissions. This is made worse if they truly have the difficulties you state they do.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oy, that is some strange instruction. I would be curious to see Coach Will actually grappling and seeing how he or one of his students actually moves.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Took Wil up on his offer to speak by phone and had a frank conversation about some of the issues raised here. I was able to get him to acknowledge that FIAS is the WGB for Sambo, and that USA Wrestling is affiliated with FILA not FIAS, and hence not any kind of NGB (for Sambo). I was able to ask him some clarifying questions about the Junior Olympic thing, and it was clear that the 1988 games could not be the ones he referenced as he recalled them being in the North East (the '88 games were in Lawrence, KS). The only games taking place in Coach Everidge's teen years in the Northeastern US were the '87 games in Syracuse, NY, and, again, there is no record of his participation. He agreed to provide documentary evidence of his medalling at silver, and I look forward to seeing what he provides.

Given coach Everidge's position as state wide director of USA Wrestling's Sombo activities for the entire state of Ohio, I think it is important that he have all his ducks in a row as regards his resume, as well as his statements about Sombo governance, safe practice for junior players, etc.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast