Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:03am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    For the record, I highly disagree with the inclusion of the child support charge discussion in this discussion...at least in public discussion. It should have been kept off the record until any relevance was determined. This discussion, at least the portion I cared about was in relation to Coach Wil's skill, credentials, and history with regard to teaching sambo. This is the primary issue for me. Until all the facts are know about his felony charge, this should have not been noted here in public. For me it is not relevant to the initial question. It is not like there is any charge regarding anything that might endanger the children he teaches. What will endager them is his apparent lack of skill. The decision to include is very disappointing to me.
    For the record, I agree to an extent. Anybody who has to deal with a child, is a father, has lived enough to know hard times should realize this. I personally think it's a bullshit charge if it's true. You don't have to give somebody a felony for failing to pay child support. Aside from that I just want to know if there's something else there. That is all. If not I say bury it. How about we communicate via PM from this point forward on this issue?

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:04am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In previous formal investigations we have always noted when we have found a prior felony conviction of someone whom were were investigating. A felony conviction is admissible in state and federal courts to impeach a witness because such convictions are viewed as affecting the credibility of a witness.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suit yourselves guys, but I think this is unnecessary. You've got a case where some very talented people see real problems with the technical instruction in numerous videos, as well as a fairly impressive resume that seems, perhaps, at odds with the level of technical expertise shown. IMO there's plenty of real substance to talk about right there. I'm trying to understand why going on a giant derail about the guy's financial responsibilities to his children is important when we already have numerous talented senior grapplers ready to make the case base solely on his ability to teach Sambo. I think that's where the compelling case would be made if it turns out there is a problem. It would be nice if we could leave dirty laundry and family suffering out of the discussion unless it was really necessary to resolve the issue.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I'm trying to understand why going on a giant derail about the guy's financial responsibilities to his children is important when we already have numerous talented senior grapplers ready to make the case base solely on his ability to teach Sambo.
    Because you guys keep talking about it.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    In previous formal investigations we have always noted when we have found a prior felony conviction of someone whom were were investigating. A felony conviction is admissible in state and federal courts to impeach a witness because such convictions are viewed as affecting the credibility of a witness.
    That doesn't make it a wise policy. or even useful. Obviously Bullshido is not a court of Law, and does not have to follow this policy if it chooses not to.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:28am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO it would damage some of our investigations if we had a rule that before a felony conviction could be mentioned in a MABS thread it would have to first pass some sort of review as far as relevancy or whether it indicated conduct so bad, that it should be mentioned. This would be "A moral turpitude" argument and leads to questions of where one would draw the line. Drugs? assault? manslaughter? Larceny? Lawyers have been arguing over the definitions of moral turpitude for years with no end in sight. (see immigration law) The felony rule has been used in the judicial system because it covers all crimes with a possible sentence of incarceration for more then one year, and therefore can be covered using a brightline rule.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because you guys keep talking about it.
    Suggesting that others not follow a line of inquiry is hardly the same as following it yourself.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:34am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True we are not a court, but courts exclude far more evidence then appears on Bullshido. As a matter of fact in criminal trials all kinds of information is excluded because of heresay rules and to prevent prejudicing the finder of fact. (usually a jury) that a universal rule allowing such information, is a strong indication that it is useful under rules far more stringent then here.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought the lack of regulation in martial arts was one of the reasons this site exists.
    I don't care why he got a felony.
    It's just that if martial arts schools/teachers were held up to a similar scrutiny as Ohio public or charter schools, Wil would not be allowed to teach because of the conviction.
    That the victim may be the minor could put him in a group that would not even be eligible for "rehabilitation", ie he could not ever regain his full rights.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning
    IMO it would damage some of our investigations if we had a rule that before a felony conviction could be mentioned in a MABS thread it would have to first pass some sort of review as far as relevancy or whether it indicated conduct so bad, that it should be mentioned. This would be "A moral turpitude" argument and leads to questions of where one would draw the line. Drugs? assault? manslaughter? Larceny? Lawyers have been arguing over the definitions of moral turpitude for years with no end in sight. (see immigration law) The felony rule has been used in the judicial system because it covers all crimes with a possible sentence of incarceration for more then one year, and therefore can be covered using a brightline rule.
    I absolutely do not advocate a rule of this sort; I'm giving my personal opinion on what an investigators ethical responsibilities to himself and the person he's looking at are.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast