Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 12:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally i'd say the child support should be left out, except he had a felony conviction.
    This changes things imo, because in my understanding the courts use everything else at their disposal before going for a felony charge.
    Garnishing wages, intercepting tax refunds, driver's license suspensions, contempt of court etc are typically tried first; the felony is evidence that he "knowingly or intentionally failed to provide support to a dependent' and is telling of his character.
    I think i would like to know this if i were sending my special needs child to him for instruction.
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 1/11/2012 12:40pm at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO it's not relevant unless it bears specifically on the martial arts question. Even in the worst case, non-payment indicates that the person is an asshole, not a bad coach.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 2:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asshole doesn't bother me, convicted felon does; and that status is often enough to preclude one from working with children(among a host of other professions) and many state and federal statutes reflect that.

edit:
    In Ohio, there are no standards prohibiting employment discrimination based on criminal history unless the conviction is sealed.
    If the conviction is sealed, employers and licensing
    agencies may not inquire about a sealed conviction unless it is directly related to the job.
    However, there is an exception for certain educational occupations.
    http://www.nyls.edu/user_files/1/3/4...tone060704.pdf
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 1/11/2012 2:23pm at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And again, in my opinion and for the purposes of doing an investigation for Bullshido, I wouldn't advise putting up information on (say) a felony draft-dodging conviction when looking into a dude who teaches BJJ to 8 year olds. Now, if the person is claiming to be spec ops and selling combatitves dvds it is very, very relevant.

The context determines whether it's right or wrong to inject something like a felony into an investigation. Again, IMO.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 3:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohio is particularly "not keen" on felons it seems, in particular those in or pursuing teaching professions.
    As one judge put it in a recent and highly publicized case,
    ''Because of the felony conviction,'' Cosgrove said, addressing Williams-Bolar directly inside the packed courtroom, ''you will not be allowed to get your teaching degree under Ohio law as it stands today.''
    http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories...-case-1.203737

As a teacher of special needs kids this seems highly relevant.

Furthermore the law also states:
    Criminal Background Checks and OAC Rule 3301-20-01
    Ohio Revised Code 3319.39 requires public and chartered non-public schools to conduct criminal
    background checks on individuals applying for any position that maintains care, custody or control of a
    child. Likewise, the State Board of Education (State Board) is mandated by Ohio Revised Code 3319.31
    to conduct criminal background checks of applicants for teacher certification or licensure.
    http://ehe.osu.edu/outreach/schools-...-licensure.pdf

As the consumer watchdog for martial arts schools, Bullshido seems a perfect fit for this information, likewise, imo.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    convicted felon does
    Stop being so fucking melodramatic, the difference between a felony and misdemeanour has become extremely arbitrary in a lot of cases. The guy skipped maintenance, he wasn't holding up post offices or soliciting minors.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Stop being so fucking melodramatic, the difference between a felony and misdemeanour has become extremely arbitrary in a lot of cases. The guy skipped maintenance, he wasn't holding up post offices or soliciting minors.
    Are you also a deadbeat dad?

A U.S. state classifying non payment of child support as a felony is not arbitrary.

Matt speaks of context with regard to his deadbeat dad status. Well, here is the context:

In his own words, Wil Everidge volunteers to teach special needs kids via his "faith based outreach martial arts program". He believes MA teaches "the virtue of respect and the more important role of martial arts in our society" and believes MA "is much more then technique." He is also concerned we might be undermining his effort to "do right". And, by stating either Omega or Matt "has showed such a disregard for a Chief Instructor". It was further made clear he was offended by such remarks by pontificating that a person behaving in such a manner has "missed out" and is an "undisciplined immature individual".

If Wil Everidge were just teaching MA, the context would dictate his deadbeat dad status would not be of concern. However, just from his own brief words in this thread, he obviously has made MA - at least his MA and the MA he teaches children who do not have the social skills to understand context - is, indeed, about character. Therefore, the context is quite relevant to the discussion and is of concern.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 1/11/2012 5:35pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 5:38pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a father of two girls I have to say that this felony is important. I don't want my kids to be trained by someone who does not care for his own kid(s). It shows a certain lack of character.

On the other hand I have no idea how fast something turns into a felony in the US.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 5:39pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may want to put that in the other thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 6:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!