Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 1:46pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Story to tell, kind of relates to the sport and what is considered good prep for the sport...

So, I have a fighter been training most of his life. Knyokushin national champ, 2 time NY Open kyokushin champ, North eastern judo champ (below black), Naga worlds medallist (blue), Good fight medallist(blue), etc...you get the idea. good background.

He recently came to our camp, just under a year ago. He has a misleading ammy MMA record in NJ (restricted rules) 0-4. I have not been his main coach until recently (after his losses).

But, his record is misleading for various reasons. One loss to cut (he was winning before that). Inability to use his bread and butter stuff (head kicks, elbows, head strikes on ground not legal in NJ ammy rules). He routinely owns some of the pro guys who cross train with us. His other losses come from subs, which we have tightened up a lot. His most recent fight, he dominated the guy against the cage with knees to body, took him down and G&P the body. He owned the kid, but no head strikes on the ground, fight went on. He lost next round to a sub. You get the idea. He is a good fighter with bad luck and restrictions due to the rules. I also think prior coaching was not great.

So, we decide, let's put him in pro where he can use all his winning stuff. It suits him better, he wants to do it.

So, promoter tells me that without an ammy win he won't get a license, that I need to pettition the commission. Confused, I note several pros that have fought...never having had a ammy fight or any kickboxing or anything. For example, my fighter Brad Desir's last opponent was a div 2 all american wrestler from AMA combat club. Went right to pro after college without any ammy bouts. Brad beat him in 36 seconds with an armbar. Brad's next opponent is Luciano Christovam, Roger Gracie's cousin and BJJ Black belt (fight is super bowl weekend). Never had a fight ammy or pro prior. Has very little no-gi experience in competition...mainly gi events.

So, the commission in NJ denies my guy a pro license saying he has to win an ammy bout even though he has paid his dues. But these guys get pro licenses right out of the gate. The commission says that they accept a great college wrestling career as good enough background. Christovam is an excellent BJJ player no doubt, but, let's be honest he is a gracie family member, so he got his license.

Moral of the story, in NJ at least, if you are a decorated wrestler or BJJ guy, you will get favors...even though being a good wrestler or BJJ guy alone does not necessarily translate directly to the MMA game.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Story to tell, kind of relates to the sport and what is considered good prep for the sport...

So, I have a fighter been training most of his life. Knyokushin national champ, 2 time NY Open kyokushin champ, North eastern judo champ (below black), Naga worlds medallist (blue), Good fight medallist(blue), etc...you get the idea. good background.

He recently came to our camp, just under a year ago. He has a misleading ammy MMA record in NJ (restricted rules) 0-4. I have not been his main coach until recently (after his losses).

But, his record is misleading for various reasons. One loss to cut (he was winning before that). Inability to use his bread and butter stuff (head kicks, elbows, head strikes on ground not legal in NJ ammy rules). He routinely owns some of the pro guys who cross train with us. His other losses come from subs, which we have tightened up a lot. His most recent fight, he dominated the guy against the cage with knees to body, took him down and G&P the body. He owned the kid, but no head strikes on the ground, fight went on. He lost next round to a sub. You get the idea. He is a good fighter with bad luck and restrictions due to the rules. I also think prior coaching was not great.

So, we decide, let's put him in pro where he can use all his winning stuff. It suits him better, he wants to do it.

So, promoter tells me that without an ammy win he won't get a license, that I need to pettition the commission. Confused, I note several pros that have fought...never having had a ammy fight or any kickboxing or anything. For example, my fighter Brad Desir's last opponent was a div 2 all american wrestler from AMA combat club. Went right to pro after college without any ammy bouts. Brad beat him in 36 seconds with an armbar. Brad's next opponent is Luciano Christovam, Roger Gracie's cousin and BJJ Black belt (fight is super bowl weekend). Never had a fight ammy or pro prior. Has very little no-gi experience in competition...mainly gi events.

So, the commission in NJ denies my guy a pro license saying he has to win an ammy bout even though he has paid his dues. But these guys get pro licenses right out of the gate. The commission says that they accept a great college wrestling career as good enough background. Christovam is an excellent BJJ player no doubt, but, let's be honest he is a gracie family member, so he got his license.

Moral of the story, in NJ at least, if you are a decorated wrestler or BJJ guy, you will get favors...even though being a good wrestler or BJJ guy alone does not necessarily translate directly to the MMA game.
    This sport still has a lot of growing up to do :P
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 5:51pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    LOL, I was trying to come up with the right words when I saw that. You said it perfectly. I'm thinking to myself "Is he creating some kind of LARPing RPG game or what?"
    Didn't even cross my mind, probably because I have never played an RPG and can count on all 21 of my digits the amount of times I have played video games since the first playstation came out.

I am not talking individuals here, I am talking the stages of evolution.

I have to say though, there would definitely be a market for it so I have patented the idea, so any of you non creative fucks out there looking to steal it will have to fight me... and I got a Junior Dos Santos with Increased Strength card so bring it.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

:)

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw some kids in McDonalds playing magic, and I wanted to go up and brag on my old red deck, that was fairly fire. Then I realized I hadn't played since circa 1996, and felt very old, and just got my coffee instead. Dammit.

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 9:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: gjj . mma hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    true to that

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 9:19pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyboy View Post
    true to that

This has to be one of the most insightful and inspirational comments left on a thread in bullshido ever. Seriously, I am subscribing to further comments from mickeyboy, as he obviously understands completely the culture of this site and its inhabitants. I mean, "true to that" is just so GODDAMN perfect, encapsulates exactly what this thread required to enlighten its audience. In fact, it is so perfect I have zero idea as to what he is referring to, assuming that mickeyboy is a "he" of course.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 9:20pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    This has to be one of the most insightful and inspirational comments left on a thread in bullshido ever. Seriously, I am subscribing to further comments from mickeyboy, as he obviously understands completely the culture of this site and its inhabitants. I mean, "true to that" is just so GODDAMN perfect, encapsulates exactly what this thread required to enlighten its audience. In fact, it is so perfect I have zero idea as to what he is referring to, assuming that mickeyboy is a "he" of course.
    Dude, you just broke my fucking sarcasm meter.

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 10:39pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Dude, you just broke my fucking sarcasm meter.
    Sarcasm?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 10:53pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sarcasm
    Facetiousness
    Dry Humor