Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 10:42am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, so not worth $160, unless there is something you're not letting me know.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7heTexanRebel View Post
    I want to learn how to fight. Eventually I'd like to compete in some form or another. The Hapkido I'm getting here appears to be quite a bit above par. (Hands up, chin tucked, don't try to land 540 spin kicks in sparring, people resist techniques instead of being compliant, we work takedowns-> BJJ style submissions, no _i blast nonsense, etc)

Yes, from what I've heard that particular gym is the best one in Denton BJJ wise.

The school is Powerkicks Training Academy and owner is Mst. Mike Nestor. They don't teach TKD anymore for whatever reason.

I'm fairly certain I'm not being fed BS, however, until I spar some people outside my school I won't really know.
    that website throws up a million red flags. i can find no record of Mike Nestor in the ISKA, although it doesnt say that he won anything. will do more researchings.

can't find a taekwondo club of north texas uni, may be defunct now or something.
    Last edited by alex; 1/09/2012 2:38pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pay $65 a month, but that's to train in a garage twice a week. $160 might be okay, depending on what you're actually getting, your goals and your funds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 4:23pm

Style: Muay-Thai, Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD club at UNT doesn't exist anymore, from what I was told he stopped doing it when UNT wanted him to pay the costs associated with the club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I pay $65 a month, but that's to train in a garage twice a week. $160 might be okay, depending on what you're actually getting, your goals and your funds.
    The dojang is pretty nice from what I've seen to compare it to. However, there is a disproportionate amount of kids to adults (though there are very few BBs, and none of them are kids)

The kid thing is my biggest gripe with the school since when we spar I'm usually stuck with someone much less athletic than me, or I'm stuck with someone who greatly outsizes me.
    I asked about why there weren't more adults in the class, and it seems the adults stopped coming when they increased their prices. Apparently they used to charge around $80/month and decided that since they were better than the nearby ATA school they should charge more. :itsnotokay:

One other thing... They pay on a contract basis, while you can pay on a class-by-class basis it's $25 a class, so I'm in a 2 yr contract. (That's the longest one they have)

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to learn how to fight. Eventually I'd like to compete in some form or another. The Hapkido I'm getting here appears to be quite a bit above par. (Hands up, chin tucked, don't try to land 540 spin kicks in sparring, people resist techniques instead of being compliant, we work takedowns-> BJJ style submissions, no _i blast nonsense, etc)
    I'm fairly certain I'm not being fed BS, however, until I spar some people outside my school I won't really know.
    I implore you to go to a boxing or muay thai or that mma/bjj place and have a look at what they are doing, join in if possible, and contrast that to the drills/sparring you are doing now. ive met so many people who have said what you are saying- the old "no my school isnt like those other schools" line- and honestly its never the case.

wanting to learn how to fight is actually an odd word choice. you want to learn how to fight udner a ruleset? in mma? kickboxing? or just for self defense? throws up a bunch of things. me personally i train solely for the sport and fitness aspect, im smart enough not to get into situations where im gonna need to throw down (barring one incident)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I implore you to go to a boxing or muay thai or that mma/bjj place and have a look at what they are doing, join in if possible, and contrast that to the drills/sparring you are doing now.
    I'll do that, thanks.

I use fight in a general sense, just in case I have to defend myself but I also want to eventually compete in MMA.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 11:46pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pay 100 a month for TKD but my BJJ is 150 so on that note we're in the same boat.

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 9:11am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll do that, thanks.

I use fight in a general sense, just in case I have to defend myself but I also want to eventually compete in MMA.

Then go to a reputable MMA place.

By the way can you just roll up to a fighters gym and say "i want ot be a fighter." And get looked after.?
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 1/13/2012 9:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 10:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Then go to a reputable MMA place.

By the way can you just roll up to a fighters gym and say "i want ot be a fighter." And get looked after.?
    Is that a rhetorical question? The answer doesn't seem obvious. If I had to guess I'd say "no", fighters are chosen by the head of the gym and they essentially represent the gym, right?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 10:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can. They will generally treat you with amused tolerance and suggest you train for a bit and see how it goes before trying to jump straight in the cage.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast