Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 2:02am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL..

Sorry to be a pain mate but doing this stuff over the internet is fraught with difficulties, that and we're looking at trying to decipher older Japanese text is difficult enough.

I need a very clear pictures of the tang, to be in with any sort of chance of providing a translation,

As close as possible, straight - top down images (without the slant seen in the second set of images) would be the most ideal and a photo of everything on the tang in the same way.

Also there's a stamp or additional engraving above the mei, I need to be able to clearly see what that it please.

Sorry to be ball ache.

Either that or, ask your co-worker to do a rubbing of both sides of the tang and scan it to me via my email addy.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 2:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also forgot to mention

NEVER EVER clean the tang, even if it looks rusty.

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 4:43pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries. I understand this isn't the easiest process.

My co-worker tells me the mark you are curious about is an arsenal mark (he even named the arsenal but, stupid me, I didn't write it down today). He seems pretty certain it was stamped into the sword. For that reason, he seems to think it must be a sword made in the 30's or 40's. With the other marking present, I'm not so certain, but I don't know how (or why) an arsenal would stamp an old sword. I could see some kind of engraving or etching being done by an arsenal to approve the sword. Any thoughts?

If you have some suspicions about the meaning of the markings or anything to do with the sword's provenance please PM me your speculation. Don't worry, I won't hold you to it. Otherwise, I think we got what we came for here, which is confirmation that seeking an expert is worth the investment of time and effort.

If anyone here has suggestions for a nihonto expert in the Washington DC metro area, please post or PM me. Likewise, if anyone has any suggestions on other forums on swords that might help track down an expert. I have a couple of ideas already, but it would be good to have recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ho Ho Fcuk You ! View Post
    Sorry to be ball ache.
    Ladies and gentlemen, please mark this day down in the annals of Bullshido history. Not only did Dave say this, he said this to a dirty "ninjer."

I think his heart must've grown three sizes this day -- and it ain't even Christmas anymore!

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 11:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, please mark this day down in the annals of Bullshido history. Not only did Dave say this, he said this to a dirty "ninjer."

I think his heart must've grown three sizes this day -- and it ain't even Christmas anymore!
    Hey, don't let my otherwise gruff exterior fool you - that comes with the territory of dealing with warfare, I'm a ***** LARPer really.

~Ella Wheeler

Flyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    If anyone here has suggestions for a nihonto expert in the Washington DC metro area, please post or PM me. Likewise, if anyone has any suggestions on other forums on swords that might help track down an expert. I have a couple of ideas already, but it would be good to have recommendations.
    The swordforum.com nihon-to sub-forum would probably be a good place to start.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 1:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to say this is an awesome thread.
    Finding a sword like that is something quite special.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    1/29/2012 8:14am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That thing is beautiful. Congrats to your co-worker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12