My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) This is why I LOVE my home state.

2) I don't feel any sorrow for Nuno or his family. Sounds harsh but as I often say if you make the consious decision to hurt someone who has done nothing to harm you then you can't really complain with the person fucks you up, period. I look at it this way, which from me means it is the correct way, I am a 6' 250lb person. If I was to assualt and batter someone younger and smaller than me constantly I would expect them eventually retaliate with enough force to shut me down, maybe permenantly. That is what I would do. So the beast that I am if I don't go out looking to harm people then no one else should.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sucks when people have to die in instances like these. But I like the fact that in Florida we don't have to just be the victim. The law allows us to defend ourselves, and so far this is holding up pretty well in court. Some people argue that criminals will think twice when they know that someone can legally kill them for doing certain things. I doubt that, but I heard convicts say things along those lines. Sometimes in joking. But they are thinking about it.

In this instance, I think the kid did everything he was supposed to. And I do commend him to some extent for standing up for himself in the end. No one should have to fear going to school. Or riding the bus just to go home from school. Just because he is different in some way. All he is supposed to do is go to school and get his education. Putting all that extra stress on a kid is just wrong.

It is easy to sit on the outside and look in. It is also hard for a parent to learn that their kid was a bully. Especially when he is dead. Hard for all the families involved.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 3:46pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Some people argue that criminals will think twice when they know that someone can legally kill them for doing certain things. I doubt that, but I heard convicts say things along those lines. Sometimes in joking. But they are thinking about it.
    Related anecdote: My sister and brother-in-law lived in a somewhat bad section of Indianapolis for a while. The neighborhood itself was pretty nice, but it was close to worse sections of the city. There were a lot of break-ins that the police believed were unrelated. Then about six months after they moved into the area a guy about four blocks away from them repainted his kitchen using a burglar and a shotgun. There were no more break-ins in their neighborhood during the next two and a half years they lived there.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something the Nuno family said kinda bothered me.
    “We know this wasn’t the right decision,” said Dylan’s aunt, Adriana Nuno.“(The judge) is showing those kids it’s OK to get away with murder.”
    The converse of this is that if you convict the kid for defending himself, you're showing the kids it's OK to get away with bullying, and that's bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Related anecdote: My sister and brother-in-law lived in a somewhat bad section of Indianapolis for a while. The neighborhood itself was pretty nice, but it was close to worse sections of the city. There were a lot of break-ins that the police believed were unrelated. Then about six months after they moved into the area a guy about four blocks away from them repainted his kitchen using a burglar and a shotgun. There were no more break-ins in their neighborhood during the next two and a half years they lived there.
    It may be a factor, but you can't really give the shotgun blast as the only reason for this with any certainty.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 4:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

It may be a factor, but you can't really give the shotgun blast as the only reason for this with any certainty.
    He is implying that the death of the burglar is anecdotal support of DT's comment.

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 6:00pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He is implying that the death of the burglar is anecdotal support of DT's comment.
    This.

However much I'd like to have real evidence of the death of the burglar reducing the break-in rate in the neighborhood it isn't really possible to establish any kind of causation. But then again it's also extremely difficult to get experiments involving burglars and shotguns past the IRB.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 1:10am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose it's better than having the poor kid spray all his classmates full of bullets. Being bullied for prolonged periods builds an obsessive rage inside a person. And when that rage comes out it's going to be hard to make it stop.

That being said, let's say he had knifed the kid 6 times and he survived and started fighting back. The bully could turn the tables and grab the knife from the kid. At any rate, when someone punches you in the head and your head can bounce on concrete - your life is in danger.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 1:25am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpDawg View Post

That being said, let's say he had knifed the kid 6 times and he survived and started fighting back. The bully could turn the tables and grab the knife from the kid. At any rate, when someone punches you in the head and your head can bounce on concrete - your life is in danger.
    Let's say you make sure they are dead, like the story, instead of a what if game of "if he survived?".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 6:45pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Let's say you make sure they are dead, like the story, instead of a what if game of "if he survived?".
    That's my point, in that scenario I believe he did the right thing - his life was in danger. Also the dead don't testify.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123