1. #1
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Drivebye Shaolin-DO poster.

    I don't know how old the man I sparred with was but I was 17 at that time, and still had alot to learn. To everyone else, Tournaments are for fun not to show off and beat the other opponent down. If you want to see the awesomeness of Shaolin you might as well be looking at the Kata's and Tai Chi not Sparring.

  2. #2
    Psycho Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,261
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoShWitt View Post
    To everyone else, Tournaments are for fun not to show off and beat the other opponent down.
    Replace "tournaments" with "regular sparring" and you have the viewpoint of every respected art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

    B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denton, Texas, United States
    Posts
    35
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd consider Tournaments in anything as a way to determine who the best/most skilled person is. Not that that can't be fun... ;)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota
    Posts
    192
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had always thought that the goal of a tournament was to win it, and at least in the tournaments I have been involved in that means that you have to beat some people down.

    Randori (judoese for sparring) is for fun and practice, tournaments are when you use what you practiced in randori to best the other person.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    225
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7heTexanRebel View Post
    I'd consider Tournaments in anything as a way to determine who the best/most skilled person is...
    I don't know about the generalisation of that comment, winning one or more events in a tournament just means that they won that event and/or tournament (and of course gets the title or the medals :) ).

    The "best" and/or the "most skilled" person (they may or may not be the same person) may not have participated in the event/competition or had an off day (this could be due to an injury, asthma, external factors, etc).

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bluegrass
    Posts
    221
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So that we have something to reference, do you have video of this tournament match you reference in your original post?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    62
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkatninja View Post
    I don't know about the generalisation of that comment, winning one or more events in a tournament just means that they won that event and/or tournament (and of course gets the title or the medals :) ).

    The "best" and/or the "most skilled" person (they may or may not be the same person) may not have participated in the event/competition or had an off day (this could be due to an injury, asthma, external factors, etc).
    Well I'm sure he meant tournaments are a way to determine the most skilled person at the tournament. Obviously its not going to determine the most skilled person outside of the tournament...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO