Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 11:44am

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Too good to be true

Houston martial arts academy

I have breathing room as I just moved here and finally settled in.
    This dojo is very convenient in that there is no contract
    The classes are only 10 Dollars. Also it has mma, Kali,jkd concepts,chung do kwon(I used to train cdk). And the thing that sold me was the times were made convenient for work. Until..
    I looked at the instructor bio and the chief instructor only holds rank in shotokan. The chung do kwon instructor is overweight. Not big muscular, overweight. And only holds a 3rd dan. I'm a 1st. I've only seen one instructor that was huge but was also very agile and crushed his division. Is this place worth checking out or does it seem too fishy? I haven't found anything about it in bullshido. My other option is this kyokushin karate place down street. I like how these guys train.

Kyokushin thread about the new kyokushin place.
    The dojo looks like **** but who said fighting was pretty?
    http://www.kyokushin4life.com/forums...ead.php?t=1858

Hmaa
    http://houstonmartialartsacademy.com/HMAA/Welcome.html

Thanks for letting me share:SoMuchWin:

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 12:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please read the rules of all forums. You've been here too long not to have done that already.

For example you just posted a review, in our main forum, which is:
    The official forum for Bullshido. SERIOUS discussion on McDojos, questionable Martial Artists, and Martial Arts History only. Help us fight fraud in the Martial Arts by contributing well-thought-out threads and ideas on the subject.
    You asking if a school is "legit" is not serious discussion about fraud.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 1/15/2012 12:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 12:52pm

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    ...Until..
    I looked at the instructor bio and the chief instructor only holds rank in shotokan.
    Just like to point out that the founder did/done Isshinryu Karate, which is different from Shotokan.

I'm leaning towards Kyokushin myself and would choose it over the arts that the HMAA offer.

One point regarding the Kyokushin place, according to the date it was posted those pictures are about 5 years old, they may have changed since then :)

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 6:09pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a look thru the web site for HMAA. I see some potential red flags;

1. "We have no ranking system in our school since an attacker in the street doesn’t care how many black belts you have or what techniques you know."
    A martial art school that doesn't have a ranking system? That just seems off to me.

2. "At HMAA, we explore techniques and training methods from various martial arts. The curriculum of HMAA comes from various sources, including Western Boxing, Thai Boxing, Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Okinawan Karate, Grappling Arts, Freestyle Wrestling, Judo, Kung fu, Kickboxing, Ground fighting, JKD concepts, and the Filipino Martial Arts."
    Note all these arts. Also note the 9 "systems" studied at HMAA http://houstonmartialartsacademy.com/HMAA/Systems.html I find this interesting because their own bios list no ranking in the majority of these arts and systems. Sounds more like they are borrowing from other arts and teaching techniques that they are not qualified to teach.

3. "At HMAA, we follow the JKD philosophy of exploring all martial arts, accepting what is useful, using the utmost efficiency in application and using what works in combat."
    Is it my imagination or do all the BS schools use the "JKD philosophy" excuse to jumble anything they want together and call it a martial art?

Here are the instructors listed in their instructors page. Note how they are by their own admission not ranked in most of the arts they are using as teaching material? I only posted their names and the parts of their bios that show them being either ranked or affiliates with a group. They all seem to be affiliates of the Bahala Na Martial Arts Association. Anyone framiliar with the Bahala? http://houstonmartialartsacademy.com...structors.html

Johnathan Bolton founder of HMAA, instructor certification in Okinawan Isshinryu Karate from Nick Adler's Centurions Association in the United States and from the Okinawan Isshin-Ryu Karate Kobudo Association (O.I.K.K.A.) under Master Angi Uezu in Okinawa, Japan in 1995.
    Affiliate of Bahala Na Martial Arts Association.

Joseph Galleon Graduate and Affiliate of the Bahala Na/Giron Arnis Escrima System under GM Tony Somera. Manong Joe also holds a 2nd degree Black Belt in Chung Do Kwon with North American Tae Kwon Do based in Rochester, New York.

Rick Stalons, Affiliate of Bahala Na Martial Arts Association.

Jason Evans, Affiliate of Bahala Na Martial Arts Association.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 6:58pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No ranking is off to you? Muay Thai, wrestling, boxing, a few FMAs and quite a few CMAs will disagree.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    after watching their sparring vids on youtube, i wouldn't recommend it. their coach appears to have no real idea what hes doing in his stand up.

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No ranking is off to you? Muay Thai, wrestling, boxing, a few FMAs and quite a few CMAs will disagree.
    When taken in the context of why they say they have no ranking system and the many systems they claim to draw from, many of which do have a ranking system, it does seem off to me. If they were a Muay Thai, wrestling or boxing school it wouldn't matter. It sounds more like an easy way to avoid admitting they are not qualified to teach the material they are selling.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 8:07pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In context it makes sense. Bruce Lee did the same thing when he created JKD which this is trying to emulate. He didn't rank either. He drew from chun and other arts he wasn't ranked in.

That's probably the only thing that make sense on the entire website.

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a fair enough assessment. All things being equal I'd go with the Kyokushin guys.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 8:39pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, there is too much left unknown with the other website. As always though go visit both.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast