Thread: Intro

Style
    Taekwondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro

Hi All,

I'm a brand-new trainee in Martial Arts (TKD) at age 47.

I've wanted to train in MA for quite a while, and also wanted to get my 16 year old son some exposure to some external discipline and physical activity (he doesn't play sports), so we started training together and practice together.

I'm former military (10 years), and got back into weight training and cardio ~4 years ago.

The school owner/instructor is a former Marine and seems very interested in teaching practical techniques in addition to the ATA curriculum (yes, I've read a lot of the cautions on ATA). I'm not kidding myself that he's running a business and does this to earn a living, but it seems he's going about it by doing something he enjoys and is good at, and so far he seems pretty straightforward.

My goals are to learn as much practical MA as possible from any discipline, stay in shape, and spend time with my son doing something that's fun and also provides benefit (self-defense skills, physical fitness, competitive environment, etc.).

I probably won't post much. I may ask a question or two if I can't find the answer through searching, and will try to only provide input if I truly believe I have something to add, which likely won't be anything in the way of technical advice considering the amount of experience I (don't) have.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

A lot of the complaints about tkd in general is the emphasis on sport as opposed to martial art, and the way it is marketed. It sounds like you have a good handle on what to expect and seem happy with the situation.

I hope you'll find the boards helpful and the lolz numerous.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome dragen428,

hopefully your stay will enrich you - we have several people with high technical degrees in TKD, many of them with exposure and experience in other MAs as well, so you are likely to find answers to many of your TKD related questions, should they arise.

Try to look around in the Korean martial arts section for some reading.

Have fun and you have my respect for doing it (also) for your son! :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must've been in the Air Force. Smartest dumbasses in the military.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You must've been in the Air Force. Smartest dumbasses in the military.
    See, dragen, I told you we have several high ranked TKD people around. :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal