Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 1:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Try not to trip over your Magic Pants

Aikido doesn't suck. Its a matter of knowing what martial art is used for what. No, you're not going to be kicking ass within 3 weeks of classes, but use an irimi entrance with a nice uriken, and you'll be golden.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishIll View Post
    Aikido doesn't suck. Its a matter of knowing what martial art is used for what. No, you're not going to be kicking ass within 3 weeks of classes, but use an irimi entrance with a nice uriken, and you'll be golden.
    Thanks for clearing up that misconception. We've had a lot of people come on here and bash Aikido, it's good to hear the perspective of someone who actually trains the art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 1:43am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is six years old, fyi.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 6:14am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Die you useless whelp.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 7:21am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw the title of this thread, saw it'd been necro'd, and bet on a "no true Scotsman" post.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 10:46am

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido doesn't suck. Its a matter of knowing what martial art is used for what.
    So what is Aikido used for? I sure as hell haven't seen anyone use it for fighting, self-defense, or getting in shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    So what is Aikido used for? I sure as hell haven't seen anyone use it for fighting, self-defense, or getting in shape.
    Aikido is used to make horrible movies just ask Seagal.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 2:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido and Iaijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could respond to the title of the moved thread:

It is actually far less likely for someone to trip over hakama if they are actually fitted correctly. They are supposed to come to just above the ankles, but many people get them just too long and do not adjust them.

I just don't understand why you all hate on Aikido so much. Yeah, there is a lot of metaphysical/spiritual mumbo jumbo that most of you all do not believe in. Also, it is true that Aikido probably could not go up against boxing since a boxer quickly retracts his or her punches, but Aikido could work on a style that does not immediately retract their limbs once a strike is made. Leaving ki out of the equation (even though it is part of the name of the style and a big part of the style), it could potentially work. Funny thing is, my sensei didn't believe in ki, but he did believe in the technical aspects of Aikido.

I have noticed that the most comment on Aikido is basically, "They think they're so d34d1y, but they actually fail." Aikido is NOT deadly, nor was it ever intended to be. It was intended to manipulate the opponent's own applied force and movement and disable them, then escape safely. One could easily break bones using Aikido, but it was not intended for killing like many of the other martial arts were.

Here is one application for Aikido, but you have to know EXACTLY what you're doing: Some punk off the street comes at you, armed or unarmed. Aikido would work on them.

I am not skilled enough by far to put my skills to the test, but I believe in Aikido. I, however, do not believe that it is any better than any other art. In fact, I intend someday to train in another style alongside Aikido so I can get a better balance.

EDIT: Seagal does not use real Aikido in his movies.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 2:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll use your own post to explain why people "hate aikido."

I just don't understand why you all hate on Aikido so much.
    You will when I am done.

Yeah, there is a lot of metaphysical/spiritual mumbo jumbo that most of you all do not believe in. Also, it is true that Aikido probably could not go up against boxing since a boxer quickly retracts his or her punches, but Aikido could work on a style that does not immediately retract their limbs once a strike is made.
    Yes, the arrogance of telling people what it might work against.

Leaving ki out of the equation (even though it is part of the name of the style and a big part of the style), it could potentially work. Funny thing is, my sensei didn't believe in ki, but he did believe in the technical aspects of Aikido.
    Yes, technical aspects and theory. Many imply, like wing chun, that other arts are not as technical as Aikido. Then they spout theory after theory of why IT MIGHT BE EFFECTIVE. See your comment above.

I have noticed that the most comment on Aikido is basically, "They think they're so d34d1y, but they actually fail." Aikido is NOT deadly, nor was it ever intended to be.
    That's a joke that you do not understand. "The deadly" is a comment that is derived from people who say their art is to dangerous to spar. It has no basis in killing or actual death except, when it is reffering to the death touch and pressure points.

It was intended to manipulate the opponent's own applied force and movement and disable them, then escape safely.
    So is Judo, Jujitsu, Bagua, Tai Chi, and many other arts.

One could easily break bones using Aikido, but it was not intended for killing like many of the other martial arts were.
    See above. The deadly is a joke/sarcastic comment meaning to deadly to spar or train alive.

Here is one application for Aikido, but you have to know EXACTLY what you're doing: Some punk off the street comes at you, armed or unarmed. Aikido would work on them.
    Ah yes, the untrained "street thug, punk fighter, drunk etc..." that these arts always work against.

EDIT: Seagal does not use real Aikido in his movies.
    "The real" is a common refrain from akikibunnies, Tai Chi Hippies, and other ranting posters.

When people recognize their arts for what they are, instead of building up all of these caveats, they will no longer be ridiculed.

It is 2012, seven years on this website, and you posted every dead art cliche I have heard about Aikido since day one. So, no, it won't stop and these arts will continued to be ridiculed.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 3:03pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VeritasVS View Post
    I just don't understand why you all hate on Aikido so much.
    Those of us who are informed do not hate Ailkido. Several prominent members on this board used to or still train Aikido as their base art, including a staff member.

What we hate are the deluded practitioners of Aikido.

Using a parallel and personal example, I have zero tolerance for BJJ nutriders. These are people who think BJJ is the best MA, or that it's all you'll ever need to defend yourself.

I don't hate BJJ. I hate the dumbasses who mindlessly repeat the BJJ propaganda they've been fed.

Do you understand the distinction I'm making?
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast