Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 8:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at this one for a beginner routine you can do at home:

http://www.diet.com/dietblogs/read_b...out&blid=17821

If you can execute that one successfully, think about doing harder stuff.

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 10:57am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recommend swimming, especially if you are a bit over weight, it will also develop your upper body. Walking with ankle weights around your wrists and ankles is great you can also do chores around the house wearing them (folding clothes is a bitch with the three kilos). If you have access to a heavy bag, well that's just hard core exercise right there. If you don't have hills around you, a tall building will suffice, i suggest buying those ankle weights of 1 kilo for the legs and 1-2 kilo for the arms and start climbing staircases. you can hide those weights under your sleeves if you don't want to look gayish and take the elevator down if your knees hurt.
    all the best bro.

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 1:30pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Sleaze View Post
    Interesting you should mention quinoa as an oatmeal substitute. I personally gag down the last few bites of a bowl of oatmeal, can't stand the texture especially when it starts to get cold, and I eat fast. I recently considered that quinoa could work as an oatmeal substitute, I'm always in a hurry in the morning, I've never done microwave quinoa but it seems like it'd be easy. I figure I can preportion quinoa with some cinnamon and other breakfasty stuff to have a quick morning microwaveable meal. I've recently been pricing quinoa in bulk online and I figure I should at least order 5lbs (20$-30$) or so to get me started and we'll see how long it lasts.

If your looking to eat healthy and you're not trying quinoa you're limiting yourself, especially if you eat rice. It's available at my walmart (in hickville FL, so therefore most likely all walmarts) near the instant rice in a small turquoise box for around $4 if I remember correctly. Buy it fatties....
    Bit of advice about quinoa as a breakfast food. I found a great recipe. Cook it in apple juice with some fruit (raisins or blueberries) and a bit of cinnamon. Now here is where you can avoid the mistake I made. Add nothing else to it! No milk, no sugar, no butter NO NOTHING. It ruins the taste. Quinoa has the wonderful property of absorbing the flavors its cooked in and mixing them with its own mild nutty flavor. This opens a lot of meal options too. Add some beef or chicken bullion and your quinoa will taste of it.

One of my favorite quinoa dinner recipes is quinoa stuffed bellpeppers. You can also go with chicken and quinoa or if you like making homemade soups out of leftovers (real money saver) you can add a cup of quinoa to that in place of noodles too. Also with soup add chard in place of celery and dandelion greens while bitter will mellow and impart a nice flavor to a slow cooked soup. Its all also very nutritious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 1:40pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For breakfast I either cook it in distilled water and with slivered almonds and cinnamon, or I use quinoa flour (rinse quinoa, bake at 200 for about 45 minutes, grind in a coffee grinder) plus egg, dash of olive oil, and a bit of skim milk to make a batter that cooks up like a pancake. Top it with fruit, honey, what-have-you. Obviously the flour you want to have previously ground, but store it in the fridge.

There are so many ways to use it; it has replaced every non-cheat grain/bread/pasta/etc in my diet.

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:00pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nagy have you tried other alternative grains? Buckwheat or chia? Quinoas cousin Amaranth? Also if you are grinding your own grains you should look into a grain mill. There are some very nice affordable models out there. I picked one up for $20. I haven't tried grinding quinoa into flour for cooking yet but you've got it in my head now... Any observations about how it cooks differently than wheat flour?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 3:02pm

Style: Arnis Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go against the general trend here and say, don't focus on the fat loss.

Instead work on improving your lean muscle mass. More muscle means you will be better able to handle insulin (more receptors, better sensitivity means that you will utilize calories more efficiently). I'm a big believer in metabolic set point theory, and trying to get lighter can be a huge shock to your body if you are not replacing fat with new, dense, active tissue.

Force your body to choose to spare muscle and use fat by in-taking healthy fats, limiting insulin spikes from carbs, getting plenty of lean meats and pushing your body's performance and recovery levels.

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 4:35pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRC View Post

Instead work on improving your lean muscle mass. More muscle means you will be better able to handle insulin (more receptors, better sensitivity means that you will utilize calories more efficiently). I'm a big believer in metabolic set point theory, and trying to get lighter can be a huge shock to your body if you are not replacing fat with new, dense, active tissue.

Force your body to choose to spare muscle and use fat by in-taking healthy fats, limiting insulin spikes from carbs, getting plenty of lean meats and pushing your body's performance and recovery levels.
    I'll politely (for now) disagree.

Attemps at building lean muscle mass is in its simplest form is a bulking phase for bodybuilders. Unless someone is an absolute beginner this is going to require eating at a caloric surplus, which is the exact opposite of what someone needs in fat/weight loss.

Sparing muscle is going to come primarily from resistance training and in the case of the obese this is even less of a problem because they're essentially walking around with a weight vest on 24/7.

Further, changing body composition with strictly muscle gain is going to take far far longer than losing fat and maybe impossible in many circumstances. You can safely and consistently lose about 1 pound a week, while realistically you can gain 1 pound of muscle per month with no extra fat attached, which only raises a person's basal metabolic rate a very small amount.

I'm not a fan of the more hormonally based theory of weight loss (largely via Taubes) on the basis that the science is shaky and it tends to make light of (or totally ignore) the fact that no matter what you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose fat. That community seems seems to disregard that there were several decades where people lost weight successfully on high carb low fat diets.

Set point theory is an interesting collection of ideas, but I haven't been convinced it's valid or one should even care. We know that even though BMI is a shitty marker of lean mass, it is highly correlated with lots of different health risks, so why not try for what the large evidence base point toward? Anecdotally I've never heard of anyone say "Oh I've lost so much weight, I feel terrible."

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRC View Post

Instead work on improving your lean muscle mass.
    no offense bro but you're wrong. im not gonna get into the broscience insulin **** cos i just cant be fucked, and its irrelevant. there are a few basic rules though and one of those is that unless you are some form of genetic freak, you are not gonna be losing fat and putting on muscle at the same time, the body doesnt work that way.

to the OP- you're fat cos you eat too much. eat less everytime you eat. dont eat **** thats obviously bad for you (BK etc) and you will lose the weight. people in the western world, in general, eat WAY the **** too much. this is, imo, gonna be your number one concern. everything else when it comes to weight loss, as has been pointed out, is fairly trivial for now if you can't get your portion sizes under control.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2012 1:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GJJ,Judo (former Systema)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some seriously good diet advice here gentlemen, even if it is mixed.
    To further fill in: I'm about 5'10 and 95ish kilos (don't have access to a scale, sadly). My "natural" weight should be in the 80s(I think). So while I'm outta shape, I'm not yet morbidly obese, and I have some amount of muscle left over (it does seem to wither if you don't train though, jebus)
    The wrist/ankle weights idea is a good one, and I just happen to live on a big hill in the middle of the city. Just walking to college and back every day could be something I think might work for me. I don't like jogging to college in the morning with my books on my back though, the weight shifts around gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Point to note: So, I took a session on the treadmill at the gym, one which helpfully monitors heart rate. It comes with two helpful training programs to start with: Fat burn and cardio workout. The cardio workout operates at a slightly higher heart rate than the more sustainable fat burn one. The fat burn workout really never gets past a swift walking pace, it just increases the incline at which you're walking. If I keep doing it, I can definitely work up a sweat, and it makes my calves burn, but I don't really get out of breath at all, which is making me suspect its usefulness as a workout somewhat. I do want to improve my general fitness, even when I was fitter I tended to gas towards the end of training, getting too exhausted to finish off some chokes or holds and basically letting less skilled opponents get away on me because I coudn't hack it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 6:08pm

Style: Bjj & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Sleaze View Post
    ^ Not sure what Brazzzuka is saying exactly, sounds like a lot of buzz words. Kids these days.....(jk i'm only 27). I'm guessing he's getting at carbs from whole wheat sources are better?
    I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Whole wheat sources are better.. I basically said what Alex just posted.

If someone wants to lose fat/Weight they need to be on a Calorie deficit (based on their Daily expenditure), this can be achieved through a combination of exercise and diet or just diet alone.

How you choose your Diet doesn't matter it can be High Carb or Low Carb Diet. As long as you can find something you can adapt too and stick to it for the long run and you are on a calorie Deficit then you will lose weight.

You should google IIFYM (If it fits your macro) lots of good read !!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123