Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 9:59am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Broadening the curriculum?

Hello all, my name is Erez and I have been doing MA a big chunk of my life like most of us here. I am an assisting boxing couch (we also do kickboxing but most of the time we train in classic boxing) I have been training there for the last 9 years. We are located in Jerusalem Israel.

Most of our clientele are either students in the nearby uni or young adults (late 20's and early 30's) and we have no competitors right now. I guess the reason we all train there is for sports and the added self defense skills.

Now to my point, because my trainer (an ex Russian in his fifty's) is broad minded, we thought it would be good to round out our skill set a bit and of course we are lacking in grappling, We have decided to add some grappling curriculum. nothing much off course we are no experts on grappling (though we both did some judo.)

One of the men training with us is a great grappler (he does boxing to get fit and round his own set of skills) and he agreed to partake and teach us some basic concepts like rolls and break falls and such.

We also started to add to the warm-ups some wrestling (we do a round in which you try and lift your partner from the ground and vice versa, or a round of trying to grab a belt, or a round of "sumo" trying to push him off a mat.) All those drills we use as balance enhancers and such, to actually improve our boxing.

My question is, if you had a limited amount of time from each boxing class, let's say 20 minutes, what would you add and in what order to slightly better your skill set?

I guess our goal is to provide somewhat better self defense skills to our students (me included) outside the boxing ring.

Thank you in advance
    Erez.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 10:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 10:22am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My suggestions is to drill throws and control, not submissions. Accidents in real life happen and if your guys can maintain base and stay up or control themselves if they hit the ground would be heavily advantageous.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Penetration steps, sprawls, bridges, shrimping, and sit outs are a good start. Then some positional control drills(can be done on heavy bags) and guard passing. Anything more than that, and you will need some instructors.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 7:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much judo did you do and more importantly how much do you remember?

I would say some basic throws (O goshi, seoi nage, and O soto gari spring to mind), combined with hold downs and drills for getting a feel for transitioning from one hold down to another would be a good addition.

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 9:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    How much judo did you do and more importantly how much do you remember?

I would say some basic throws (O goshi, seoi nage, and O soto gari spring to mind), combined with hold downs and drills for getting a feel for transitioning from one hold down to another would be a good addition.
    I am not the one to teach any grappling, the one that teaches it is a sambo and judo practitioner (also Russian) that competes. I had an orange belt (about a year of intense judo that fucked my body good..the head couch there didn't believe in slow progression.)
    When you say, "hold down" can you elaborate please? maybe add a link to something good? Thank you very much in advance.

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    My suggestions is to drill throws and control, not submissions. Accidents in real life happen and if your guys can maintain base and stay up or control themselves if they hit the ground would be heavily advantageous.
    Hi, thenx for the editing . What's maintaining base? and maybe i can bother you for a link to some good stuff?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 11:28am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean your ability to stay standing, something that most boxers and kickboxers don't practice. If you do randori or add throwing at the end of practice with pinning as the ultimate ending not submission, I think that would go a long way.

What do you think Judojeff? Diesel? As it would incorporate your ideas to accomplish it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 10:10pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, especially since you have a judo/sambo guy there. Even if you are not getting into throwing too much, there is still a lot you can do.

One drill that would be easy and tech good base as well as shooting in is this: two guys face off and one guy will try to shoot in and grab the other guy's ankle. The shot should be done with a proper penetration step. The person getting **** on, will perform sprawls, circling, angling, and using hands to control movement.

You will be surprised how good of a workout this drill is, and how much you will get out of it in a short amount of time!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, especially since you have a judo/sambo guy there. Even if you are not getting into throwing too much, there is still a lot you can do.

One drill that would be easy and tech good base as well as shooting in is this: two guys face off and one guy will try to shoot in and grab the other guy's ankle. The shot should be done with a proper penetration step. The person getting **** on, will perform sprawls, circling, angling, and using hands to control movement.

You will be surprised how good of a workout this drill is, and how much you will get out of it in a short amount of time!
    Thenx allot, we actually started doing that. Instead of grabbing the ankle thou we grab the back of the knee and the guy defending has to keep his left hand on your forehead.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast