Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 4:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Newbdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help my recovery- Back issues want to get back in the game!

Spare you my life story, Im 24 yrs old and I got pretty into BJJ last year for about 6 months but learned I have spondylolysis (lower back vertebral slippage). So I went from the best shape in my life to fairly out of shape state I am in now.

I want to get back in the game- of some sort atleast, if not BJJ then maybe muay thai where Im not getting my back wrenched on constantly. Being in a competitive environment with other people is supportive and inspiring, and the better shape im in the better my back will be but Ive fallen into a slump without martial arts to motivate me. I know some wrestlers get spondylolysis and due to strengthening core and supporting muscles have successfull carreers.

TLDR- Help me with some tips so I can get back into decent shape and build core and back strength I need to get me to the point where I can get into MA again.

So far I figure- Swim once a day frontstroke
    - Buy a ton of chicken and veggies from costco and eat that almost exclusively to get rid of the fat around my back muscles. Maybe an orange once in a while so I dont get scurvy :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 4:22pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Ryu Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start with something not too agressive like planking for time. The more muscles that are integrated into the exercise the better. (load sharing) After you can maintain postural integrity for two minutes without lumbar sagging then proceed to a more ambitious dynamic movement like hyperextension. Do not fail to work the abdominals agressively during this rehab time. Work them in sagital and transverse planes and with as much range of motion as you can muster. A strong abdominal musculature will help protect your spine through traumatic movements.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catweiser View Post
    TLDR- Help me with some tips so I can get back into decent shape and build core and back strength I need to get me to the point where I can get into MA again.
    Seriously? You fucking broke your back.

Go to a physical therapist who deals with athletes and do what they tell you. Don't ask for rehab advice from random anonymous morons on the internet.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spondylolysis doesn't necessarily mean "you broke your back!" In his case, it sounds like something he has had since very young as he "learned he had it." It can even be congenital.

It is quite common in people like wrestlers and young female gymnasts who have to curl themselves up in funny shapes and is not necessarily all that incapacitating. Many people suffer from spondylolysthesis without having any symptoms at all.

Kagan's advice is sound, though. Speak to a physiotherapist or other person well versed in rehab, preferably one who deals with a lot of wrestlers or high level gymnasts. Unless your spondylolysis is quite severe, you will be able to get back to even quite strenous sports if you're clever about it.

I'd hold up on the swimming, though, before clearing it with someone in the know, especially if you're fond of breast-stroke. That could induce extension in your low back that your vertebral slippage may not appreciate.

Edit: this article provides an easy to read overview of the rehab process for this condition. The references may be out of date, though, and a physiotherapist should be consulted regardless: http://frank.mtsu.edu/~wwhitehi/atep...ts/spondy.html
    Last edited by Shawarma; 1/05/2012 6:57pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spondylos = spine.
    Lysis = break.

Spondylolysis = spine break.

It's a stress fracture. Some people win the genetic lottery and are more suseptible.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 7:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am well aware of the medicalese. Perhaps I was being unclear. I agree with you - my point was that it is not necessarily a "ARGH OMG I BENT DOWN TO PICK UP A BARBELL AND MY SPINE BROKE ARGH!" injury but often something found incidentally without a fracture being apparent.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 8:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Newbdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Keep it on track

Hey thanks for your concern mate- I should have mentioned I am seeing a PT currently and not looking for any real medical advice/treatment plans.

Im asking for general diet, low impact exercises and tips for getting back into shape. Help me out here gents swimming (front crawl) seems to be a good trip but I could use some exercise pointers, meal plan tips that kind of thing.

Ex. Planks- thanks Ronnin I totally forgot about planks

Big thanks to Shawarma for that SUPER educational link, glad I made this thread
    Last edited by Catweiser; 1/05/2012 8:54pm at .

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 5:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best article for core strength.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ore_training_1

tl;dr, skip crunches and anything that makes the lower lumbar curve in an unnatural manner (back extensions).

Planks and Pallofs are my bread and butter for core and abs exercises.