Posted On:
    3/17/2011 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Record number of LEOs Killed in line of duty in 2011

http://www.odmp.org/year.php?year=2011

For the 1st 3 months of 2011 there has been a record number of line of duty deaths for LEO in the US. I just wanted to say to all those guys out there, especially those who are probably riding alone with backup probably 10 minutes out, be safe and thanks.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That reminds me I should sign up for a ride along.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 8:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have lost two in the last four weeks. A horrible year already for the Marshals.

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 10:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read the OP and it's a Shocker.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 10:54am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap. Obviously gunfire is the highest, but I never knew how high auto accidents were in the stats. I knew how dangerous it wass to pull someone over, but not that when combined with gunfire it is over a hundred deaths between the two stats.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, there is even a park ranger.

Park Ranger Chris Nickel passed away while patrolling the Square Tower Ruin Trail at Hovenweep National Monument in San Juan County, Utah.

A hiker discovered Ranger Nickel collapsed on the trail and immediately rushed to the visitor center to request assistance. Paramedics from Colorado, Utah and a medical helicopter from New Mexico responded but Ranger Nickel was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ranger Nickel had served with the National Park Service for 16 years. He is survived by his wife and parents.

It says duty related illness. Did he contract an illness such as bubonic plague from wildlife? (It is known to happen.)
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Florida representing with the highest...10!!!!

But another side of this is the alcoholism, mental illness, and family problems that Law Enforcement officers go through. I've known 3 officers who have ended their own lives.

And as far as the auto accidents. My unkle and brother have been in car wrecks while on duty. Both of them were T-boned. It ended my unkle's career.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 1:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best friend is a Sheriff's Deputy in a rural county where every swinging dick owns guns. He rides alone. The county doesn't do any traffic, so all of his time is spent patrolling, responding to calls, etc. Backup could be 20 minutes away at any given time. He survives by being the meanest, most aggressive ************ in the county.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 1:46pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I worked with Andy from Ohio...he was a great guy. R.I.P.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's certainly sad, I agree. Auto vehicle accidents/being struck by traffic, firearms, and other job-related accidents certainly do claim their fair share of cops. Also as mentioned....stress can lead of mental instability which can later lead to suicides. A lot of these deaths are preventable accidents other than outright homicides...and even with the homicides, many of those are preventable. It's very retarded to sit here and Monday-morning quarterback fallen officers...so I won't be the douchebag to do it.

I've been a cop for almost 20 years. I'm a trainer for the police, military, as well as the private sector. You wanna know what kills cops? Complacency. Getting into routines and bad habits which encourage taking shortcuts and working on the assumption that this guy they are pulling over 10 minutes before shift change is over with is just going to smile, take his ticket, and drive off.

In their basic academy, we stress the importance of (and beat the **** out of the dead horse that is) situational awareness, using common sense (not initiating contact with or pulling over a van full of gang members, approaching the vehicle from the passenger side while on the freeway, etc.), defensive tactics, and firearms retention. However...like your favorite martial arts class that you took 4 years ago...if you don't practice the **** and you don't employ the ****, and you automatically assume that everyone you meet is your friend, you risk becoming a victim.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast