Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:11pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    In place of a bat I have worked out a combination of hockey sticks, throwing knives, arrows, bear spray and hatchets in no particular order.
    Go with the hockey stick.

"Your honour, he kicked down the door and yelled "Habs suck!" I was duty-bound to beat him to death."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Lol, fair enough.
    Sorry for any tedium.
    Here, this got buried but sums up my position re the op:

and i'd also add
    "Use whatever weapon necessary to protect you and yours, but don't assume you have the upper hand with a knife or bat."
    Agreed. Once we start getting into hypothetical scenerios, we have to start talking about the layout of the house, actual people residing in the house, blah blah blah. That's why I hate them. It is a lot easier if you start with the most specific scenerio and then everyone gives their opinion of that scenerio.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    I have worked out some drills scenarios in case my house is targetted. In place of a bat I have worked out a combination of hockey sticks, throwing knives, arrows, bear spray and hatchets in no particular order.
    I had to look over at your location when I saw "bear spray"!! I was thinking, holy ****, where do you live that you would need bear spray!

I do have arrows laying around too, but they are mildly useless without my bow.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:19pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the family first, and lock them in the room with you, the one with the gun safe.
    Get it?
    Well, duh....but you're still overlooking the fact that my family isn't already together. What is the best way to get my kid, with me, and my wife safely together? If I suspect I'm in the midst of a break in do I bolt unarmed to my daughter's room to get her, then back to the room with the gunsafe? This option seems to assume I won't be confronted until i'm safely barricaded in my room with my gun? I could just as easily grab my machete (just in case) and bolt to get my kid then barricade in my room.

You're overlooking the fact that as the break in occurs I'm in one place, my kid is in another place, and my gun is safely locked away in yet another place within my room.

As for the Op given the shitty choice of bat or knife I think i'd go with one of those trench warfare style brass knuckle knife combos. It's ideal for my narrow hallways and I have the option of just using the knuckles if I decide I don't need to kill, and I can still stab away if I do need to dispatch armed assailants. I suppose any stout knife handle could be used as a bludgeon if less than lethal options are deemed fit. I still think my machete proposal is a fair choice but that straddles the line between knife and sword so to play the OPs game i'll go with brass knuckle trench knife.
    Last edited by jspeedy; 1/05/2012 2:23pm at .

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:23pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hatchet - you can bludgeon with one end and hack with the other - best of both worlds!

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Sleaze View Post
    Well, duh....but you're still overlooking the fact that my family isn't already together. What is the best way to get my kid, with me, and my wife safely together? If I suspect I'm in the midst of a break in do I bolt unarmed to my daughter's room to get her, then back to the room with the gunsafe?
    Teach your kids to head for that room when anything happens.
    Learn to do it in the dark too.
    The first thing i do when i hear anything unusual outside is turn off the interior lights and turn on all of the exteriors, this can be huge.
    Try stand outside one night with your wife switching various lights off and on, and you'll see what i mean.
    Of course you can still be armed and take a different approach than charging blind into the unknown.
    It's your castle.

This option seems to assume I won't be confronted until i'm safely barricaded in my room with my gun? I could just as easily grab my machete (just in case) and bolt to get my kid then barricade in my room.

You're overlooking the fact that as the break in occurs I'm in one place, my kid is in another place, and my gun is safely locked away in yet another place within my room.
    It's not a hard and fast plan, but it delineates many concepts that apply to many different scenarios.
    It sets the framework so to speak.
    As Diesel pointed out every scenario is different and requires a different plan, but a plan based on prudence is a good thing.

As for the Op given the shitty choice of bat or knife I think i'd go with one of those trench warfare style brass knuckle knife combos. It's ideal for my narrow hallways and I have the option of just using the knuckles if I decide I don't need to kill, and I can still stab away if I do need to dispatch armed assailants. I suppose any stout knife handle could be used as a bludgeon if less than lethal options are deemed fit. I still think my machete proposal is a fair choice but that straddles the line between knife and sword so to play the OPs game i'll go with brass knuckle trench knife.
    Lol, i always thought my big serrated bread knife was one of the nastier things i own.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Example of doing it right:
    No Charges For Oklahoma Mom Sarah McKinley, Who Shot Intruder To Protect Baby
    01/ 5/12 04:19 AM ET
    React
    BLANCHARD, Okla. -- Authorities don't plan to file charges against an Oklahoma woman who fatally shot a New Year's Eve intruder at her house while she had a 911 dispatcher on the phone, but the intruder's alleged accomplice has been charged in the death.

A 911 tape released to Oklahoma City media outlets Wednesday reveals that 18-year-old Sarah McKinley asked a Grady County dispatcher for permission to shoot the intruder. McKinley's 3-month-old son was with her when she shot Justin Shane Martin, 24, at her Blanchard mobile home.

"I've got two guns in my hand. Is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door?" McKinley asked the dispatcher.

"Well, you have to do whatever you can do to protect yourself," the dispatcher is heard telling McKinley. "I can't tell you that you can do that, but you have to do what you have to do to protect your baby."

Oklahoma law allows the use of deadly force against intruders, and prosecutors said McKinley clearly acted in self-defense. According to court documents, Martin was holding a knife when he died.

"Our initial review of the case doesn't indicate she violated the law in any way," Assistant District Attorney James Walters told The Oklahoman newspaper.

However, prosecutors have charged his alleged accomplice, 29-year-old Dustin Louis Stewart, with first-degree murder. According to authorities, Stewart was with Martin but ran away from McKinley's home after hearing the gunshots.

"When you're engaged in a crime such as first-degree burglary and a death results from the events of that crime, you're subject to prosecution for it," Walters said.

Stewart was arraigned Wednesday and was being held in the Grady County jail. A bond hearing was set for Thursday. His attorney, Stephen Buzin, did not immediately respond to a message left at his office Wednesday night.

According to court documents, Martin and Stewart might have been looking for prescription drugs. McKinley said it took the men about 20 minutes to get through her door, which she had barricaded with a couch.

She said her husband had died about a week earlier – on Christmas Day – after being hospitalized with complications from lung cancer earlier that month.
    (my bold)

..and this bears repeating for the lol factor...

However, prosecutors have charged his alleged accomplice, 29-year-old Dustin Louis Stewart, with first-degree murder. According to authorities, Stewart was with Martin but ran away from McKinley's home after hearing the gunshots.

"When you're engaged in a crime such as first-degree burglary and a death results from the events of that crime, you're subject to prosecution for it," Walters said.

Hahahahahaaaa!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 2:58pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knife. Home invasions have gone on a bit lately in my area, with one old man being beaten to death. Any of those fuckers come to my house and put the lives of my family (or myself) in jeopardy, a hunting knife to the brain is gonna be my go to move.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 3:27pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! Beat me to it - I was just about to post this.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 3:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

(my bold)

..and this bears repeating for the lol factor...

Hahahahahaaaa!!!!!!
    I say badass of the month for her, that was some real John Wayne **** there. Give the baby a bottle and blow away the intruder.
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast