Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    6/16/2012 1:35am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Virginia, the law will be on my side.

My condo has narrow hallways, entry ways.

I don't own a bat- the legally blind don't play baseball-, and while I like my escrima sticks, well, I just have so many perfectly serviceable knives.

Ka-bar kukri under my side of the bed and whatever my EDC knife was that day sitting on the night stand beside me- lately my Fox Karambit. I take both.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 9:32am

Style: Boxing, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tough choice...the bat has range but not a hole lot of versatility..what if you miss your swing and the guy closes? If only we could see some kind of sparring....

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackworth View Post
    Tough choice...the bat has range but not a hole lot of versatility..what if you miss your swing and the guy closes? If only we could see some kind of sparring....
    I'd disagree about the versatility of the bat vs the knife. The bat can be held 1 or 2 handed and swung, or held in a wide 2 handed grip, where it can jab with either end or strike/push with the area between the hands. It can be used for stickgrappling techniques like the fang choke or half nelson stick choke. It can be used to assist some joint locks. The knife can pretty much just be held with one hand in a forward or reverse grip and used to cut, pierce or pommel. There's also a technique called a rake that's designed to wound to a smaller degree, but with a knife I pretty much consider it a lethal weapon at all times.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd disagree about the versatility of the bat vs the knife. The bat can be held 1 or 2 handed and swung, or held in a wide 2 handed grip, where it can jab with either end or strike/push with the area between the hands. It can be used for stickgrappling techniques like the fang choke or half nelson stick choke. It can be used to assist some joint locks. The knife can pretty much just be held with one hand in a forward or reverse grip and used to cut, pierce or pommel. There's also a technique called a rake that's designed to wound to a smaller degree, but with a knife I pretty much consider it a lethal weapon at all times.
    Yeah, I agree. The bat can be very versitile. We use the two handed grip with batons for riots. It works really well.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 3:44pm

Style: Boxing, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^I don't know how to stick fight. lol
  6. JKD1128

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 11:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bat because you can maintain a distance, knife requires close range to attack *unless you throw it*
  7. shanblake

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 5:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing you should do in any fight is make sure the other guy is using a weapon or any else some sort.
    At that time the best thing you can do is run away or if you have any options like knife and baseball bat then baseball bat is the safest way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 8:09am

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shanblake View Post
    The first thing you should do in any fight is make sure the other guy is using a weapon or any else some sort.
    At that time the best thing you can do is run away or if you have any options like knife and baseball bat then baseball bat is the safest way.
    You havent read through this thread have you?

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 9:43am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKD1128 View Post
    Bat because you can maintain a distance, knife requires close range to attack *unless you throw it*

Never throw a knife. On the off chance you actually stick him with it, it's unlikely he'll just drop dead and more likely he'll pull it and have a perfectly good knife to stab you with, repeatedly. Most likely it'll bounce of or simply miss, and then he''ll either pick it up and stab you repeatedly or- well, I suppose no matter how it turns out you more or less find yourself standing there unarmed... Unless you have a brace of throwing knives and work in the circus...

Seriously though, don't throw knives.
  10. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:59pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you were woken up in the middle of the night by a strange noise coming from downstairs, and you had both right next to you(a baseball bat and a knife), which would you grab? I'm just curious, we just had a break-in at my house a couple nights ago before I got back.
    Bat. But nowadays scumbag lawyers are running around rampant trying to get paid. Civil lawsuits can ruin you and your family's future. Me personally I am getting a shotgun with non lethal ammo, pop the un-sub in the gut once and they will wish they are dead.

Then there are no accidental death law suits headed your way, it sometimes seems that the criminals nowadays have more rights than the victims, thanks in part to assholes at the aclu. I mean there are groups out there that think pedophiles have rights, which of course they don't once they impose their sexual will on a child who can't defend themselves.

What you could do is have a knife and bat, then place the knife in the un-sub's hand after you knock him out with the bat. This way a simple burglary will also add an extra assault with a deadly weapon, which is an open and shut case of self defense LOL.
    Last edited by eloneamigo; 7/13/2012 1:10pm at .
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast