Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 7:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Crimminal charges or lawsuits in civil court? There's a different set of criteria for each, and for the latter those are "Can legibly fill out the paperwork" and "Can afford the attorney in the thousand dollar jacket" (Why is the suit a thousand dollars? Because it is not cheap to tailor a jacket around a dorsal fin)
    Yeah ciminally is the 99% rule and civi is the 51% rule called something in leagal speak

Trying to find one. Problem is I half remember a break in where the home owner either got sued or charged. I think it again comes back to reasonable force and when it turnes into assult.

Although I did find one where a home owner stabbed a guy and got off.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/no-c...-1226242200976

Otherwise I will keep looking

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 10:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may be thinking of Katko v. Briney.
    The Brineys had rigged up a shotgun based booby trap in their guest home, which was set off by an intruder who then successfully sued them in civil court. This led to a great hue and cry by various politicians and other thinkers of good thoughts, and the passage of so called "Briney bills" in several state legislatures, expanding the right of a home owners re: self defense, as many people think if you decide to go into the house breaking business you should be willing to deal with the occasional shotgun blast.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 10:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Yeah ciminally is the 99% rule and civi is the 51% rule called something in leagal speak
    Criminal court, here in the states is beyond a reasonable doubt. Civil court is proponderance of the evidence. Same that you said, but there is your legal mumbo jumbo.

On a side note, I had my son use one of his nerf swords against me in the hallway while I had one too, and it was frustrating as hell. All I could do was virticle swings and thrusts, which I used ok. I used it to make my was to the living room where it opened up to allow for better striking angles.

Definately would want the bat, because range is the deciding factor in the hallway.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexe View Post
    Actually on Bat material, Wooden over aluminium?
    Here's an article about how aluminum bats outperform wooden ones in baseball:
    http://www.kettering.edu/physics/dru.../alumwood.html
    I'll parrot his bullet points, speculated towards fighting instead of hitting a ball:
    1. Aluminum bats swing faster- this has to do with the center of mass being closer to the handle. This also seems like it would be better for overall handling for fighting, as well. Anyone with experience with swords has probably noted that when the COM is closer to the handle, it's easier to handle the weapon.

2. Trampoline effect- there's less energy lost in the compression of the bat on impact, so I guess more is being imparted to the ball. Sounds like more power for hitting a guy.

3. Wider sweet spots- the ideal place to hit a ball has a wider margin of error than a wooden one. To me, a wider margin of error sounds like a good thing when you're swinging at a person, since they're apt to move in any direction to stifle your beating attempts.

4. Aluminum bats don't break- wooden bats often crack when they hit a ball. Are they likely to break when hitting a person? I'm not sure- a person's bones can offer a hardier target than a baseball, but its probably not flying at baseball speed into a perfect baseball bat swing. Nonetheless, more durable = better weapon, in my book.

So, I guess aluminum's a better choice, if you have either option.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aluminum bats are illegal in MLB and the NCAA is considering a ban on them as well, due to the reasons above.
    Many composite bats are similarly illegal in Little League.
    I'd definitely go for aluminum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 12:10am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the bat, not only less deadly to the robber (or me) but also the intimidation factor
    the sight of a bat can scare of any violent thoughs where a knife can be overlooked and you'l still be attacked

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 1:47pm

Style: karate, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little league baseball bats. want to buy couple more. prefer hickory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 2:10pm

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post

Trying to find one. Problem is I half remember a break in where the home owner either got sued or charged. I think it again comes back to reasonable force and when it turnes into assult.

Although I did find one where a home owner stabbed a guy and got off.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/no-c...-1226242200976

Otherwise I will keep looking
    I think the key to getting off is having the public ,or more importantly media support. Worked for donald brooke.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/22/2012 11:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the bat.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2012 8:54am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: ALIVE!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The knife, as seen here:
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast