Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 6:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What do you guys know about spirulina?

Just read about it here http://jitsmagazine.com/articles/ent..._green_protein

Seems like some very handy stuff. Anyone take this? What form?

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi/BJJ&Boxing n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've taken it and Blue-Green Algae in the past, usually in tablet form. Some of the cheaper brands can be absolutely horrible, taste, texture and size wise, so I now go up-market when buying my dried pond-slime tablets.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 6:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taste is not as much of an issue if it's effective as a source of protein. Has it really been a help to you?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't able to read the whole article as it contained too much sensationalism and highly suspect claims without citing any references. I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is another bullshit wonder-food.

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 6:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi/BJJ&Boxing n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hard to say. I began taking it to compensate for specific health problems. I started a few other supplements for the same purpose at the same time, but over the years I've stuck with the BGA. I couldn't comment on its efficacy as a replacement for protein supplements like whey, which is what the article suggests.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 6:25pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Took some for awhile this year. Found whey protein worked better for my body type as well as meat. I hypothesized that it was just my genetics. I found some studies that concurred with my theory. I don't think some of the rhetoric in that article should be taken as fact as much as vegetarian propaganda.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently it's thirty times as expensive as regular sources of protein! Also, while technically a complete protein, it has reduced levels of a few essential amino acids.

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 7:35pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried it and didn't see much benefit. Once I made the mistake of opening one... Yuck.
    Best option IMO is to raise tilapia. Let them eat the pond scum and then eat them for protein.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 12:19am

Style: French Smallsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So many of these "latest and greatest" supplements contain more bullshido than the newest McDojo. It astounds me how so many otherwise educated and intelligent people who are so careful about training methodology, no matter what the sport, are so quick to grab this "newest discovery" that is not controlled by the FDA at all and often is mostly "filler material".

The fact that the original poster is asking is fantastic because so many just say "hey I should try this!"

That magazines write articles about these things but never cite much in the way of the actual scientific research, preferring to just quote the seller instead at face value does not help matters. Its like saying "Well this guy totally says in the article that he's a ninja that can teach me to throw fireballs so I'm signing up!"

This author links a wiki article as his citation. A wiki article? Did he read those 38 references the wiki article written by heavens knows who (maybe even a seller of Spirulina) cite? Something you'll find is wiki, while a great resource to the public, is not always accurate, particularly with ill studied science. You have to read the original literature to see if the conclusions authors claim are actually supported by their data.

Spirulina has been around for a very long time. Why is it being pushed now all of a sudden magically? Hmmmm......

Yes spirulina is a great supplement on paper, but ultimately it all comes down to numbers. How many usable grams of what are you getting. Emphasis on "usable". Just overloading your body with random protein and vitamins won't do much for you compared to eating the correct amount, depending on what you're trying to do. Spirulina just isn't that good compared to other things that are far less expensive. Nutrition is a science and its not easy. As I'm sure many people on this forum know, just flooding your body with "more" isn't the best answer always.

The fact that its rather expensive, not really regulated, and I don't really know what I'm truly getting along with whatever contaminants are in it?

Pass.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 12:44am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
    So many of these "latest and greatest" supplements contain more bullshido than the newest McDojo. It astounds me how so many otherwise educated and intelligent people who are so careful about training methodology, no matter what the sport, are so quick to grab this "newest discovery" that is not controlled by the FDA at all and often is mostly "filler material".

The fact that the original poster is asking is fantastic because so many just say "hey I should try this!"

That magazines write articles about these things but never cite much in the way of the actual scientific research, preferring to just quote the seller instead at face value does not help matters. Its like saying "Well this guy totally says in the article that he's a ninja that can teach me to throw fireballs so I'm signing up!"

This author links a wiki article as his citation. A wiki article? Did he read those 38 references the wiki article written by heavens knows who (maybe even a seller of Spirulina) cite? Something you'll find is wiki, while a great resource to the public, is not always accurate, particularly with ill studied science. You have to read the original literature to see if the conclusions authors claim are actually supported by their data.

Spirulina has been around for a very long time. Why is it being pushed now all of a sudden magically? Hmmmm......

Yes spirulina is a great supplement on paper, but ultimately it all comes down to numbers. How many usable grams of what are you getting. Emphasis on "usable". Just overloading your body with random protein and vitamins won't do much for you compared to eating the correct amount, depending on what you're trying to do. Spirulina just isn't that good compared to other things that are far less expensive. Nutrition is a science and its not easy. As I'm sure many people on this forum know, just flooding your body with "more" isn't the best answer always.

The fact that its rather expensive, not really regulated, and I don't really know what I'm truly getting along with whatever contaminants are in it?

Pass.
    Nothing personal dude but **** the FDA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast