Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/07/2012 6:35am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Cheers.

Yeh sure, go ahead, didn't realise the site had a technique wiki.

Looking back there's a couple of typos that could do with fixing. If you PM me an e-mail address I can send you the word file I wrote it in so you've got all the picture and video links easily and don't have to dig them out of the post in this thread.
    http://www.bullshido.org/Judo_ukemi

Just need to embed the video links when I can remember what the wiki code for that is, lol.

Please check it over and let me know what if anything you want changing.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/07/2012 8:17am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The article is also now featured on the front page

http://www.bullshido.org/Main_Page
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/07/2012 8:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    even totalluy drenched in whiskey i can tell j_uk's post is great. good job

+1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 4:18am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, another excellent post by Judoka_Uk. Thanks for taking the time to write these. As an orange belt... soon to be testing for green... ukemi is tough for me. I take consolation from my instructor's story that he did not get good at ukemi until he was a brown belt when he had to learn kata.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 8:24am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for this article, +1 of course and varrots as many as I can give.

On a sidenote: I did judo when I was 12 (only made it to Orange in that time) but if I had had someone explain it to me like this, I would've been so much better. Kids understand this stuff as well but in my school it was like this: No, you won't throw me, my ego forbids it. I never got told to be active when being thrown.

This makes me want to re-visit Judo and see how I would do nowadays (combined with knowledge like yours).

Thank you again,
    Phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 8:27pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could really say this for beginner randori as well as uchikomi. Being too resistant is just a way to encourage people to try to throw you harder. Which in turn, makes the fall harder, and the chance for injury to you or your partner higher. In addition, you'll just learn less by trying to be a log.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:46am

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very well done. A good practice is worth at least twice their weight, and this is the start of being a good practice partner.

Aaron Fields

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I find more annoying than an "UKE" who won't help is the UKE who helps so much the practice becomes the hammed up version of a death scene in a perfomance art piece.

I mean, come on! At least let me move my foot before you go flying from a sweep. It's not like the mob is going to torch your house because you won't take a dive.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 2:55pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the problems identified tend to fix themselves if uke can do two simple (albeit difficult) things: relax and be unafraid. But that kind of mental state comes in large part from confidence in your ukemi which, in turn, comes from both technical skill and from having been thrown a lot.

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 3:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a couple of nights ago, my Japanese wife and I were watching NHK news. Apparently, the Monbusho (Japanese Education Ministry) has decided to make Judo mandatory for chu-gakusei (middle-school students and up from there).

Sounds good? I thought so, until I watched further.

Japan's school PE teachers mostly come from a track-and-field background. A few are Kendo-qualified; far fewer have had anything to do with Judo.

So Monbusho hired some police and security personnel with Kodokan ranking to try and teach non-Judoka PE teachers how to instruct Judo to public-school pupils.

One scene had a former high-ranking police-officer with Kodokan Shihan status facepalming as he watched these PE teachers trying to do both nagewaza and ukemi. He was especially concerned that one of the very first nage to be taught in the school curriculum is to be osotogari. He's been trying to get the ministry to make that a throw taught only after much ukemi practice has been done due to the potential for damage.

This is but one of the many issues facing the whole Judo-in-the-schools programme Monbusho is trying to initiate.

All I can say is after watching the report is...yikes.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 1/12/2012 3:44pm at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast