Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 11:05pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Headgear

I've worn headgear (Twins Special with Cheek Protectors) and a mouthpiece (Shock Doctor) every time I sparred. Lately though, I have had doubts about its actual effectiveness.

I have been reading much more MA related stuff now that I am having my yearly break. This has led to me stumbling across researches showing that head pieces successfully prevent cuts and abrasions but does not lower the chance of concussions? This came as a surprise to me since I thought they were meant to protect the impact upon hard contact just like motorcycle helmets.

I asked around and several professional boxers who had dropped in told me that the headgears...:

(a) Actually increases chance of knockouts and being hit? They came to this conclusion by saying that headgear increases the size of your head and makes you a more vulnerable target.

(b) The sweat makes the headgear heavier and if not linked to the head tightly enough can knock against your head when a blow connects. This increases the force of the blow as the headgear itself serves as a fulcrum.

This reason may result in a few bullies here responding "well, do it up properly!". However, keep in mind that most headgear is hook-and-look/velcro-styled it isn't always easy to tell between 'just right' and 'tight' (I used to be paranoid about this when I first started sparring and I know pulling it too tight can make my head dizzy). Also, keep in mind that headgears which could be tied together at the back are rarer and nearly always has to have someone to assist you in setting it up.

(c) Restrict vision. Headgears with cheek protectors and especially 'facesavers' seem to have this problem even whilst the boxer is station. Headgears, even mine, seem to move a little even when its on pretty tight upon impact and it is kind of distracting.

My question is, are any of the statements above true? Do you wear a headgear and is it gym policy? What are some pros or further cons of wearing one and is it worth it after all?

Thank you!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 11:09pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, I have noticed that one of the most MMA famous school in Australia (Sinosic and Perosh in Concord) does not make headgear compulsory unless the student is doing more than three rounds.

At my gym headgear isn't compulsory but nearly everyone wears one.

Just a note of interest

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 11:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also stress on the neck. I make it mandatory when we're striking hard to prevent cuts but all it does is prevent proper head motion. Beginners need it because their head movement sucks anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 4:25am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We only wear it in my dojo when someone has a tournament coming up. Or if I leave the house without a hair tie.

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 11:05am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't imagine going to work with a black eye after a few rounds of sparing on a semi regular basis...Don't forget the ears not getting injured too. It's true though that a headgear with cheek protectors will restrict your peripheral vision and you can actually get hit more often, but when you do, it softens the blow and you don't get badly cut or swollen. It certainly does not increase the impact!

I also find it a bit more reassuring and allow myself more experimenting when I have my headgear on me, hopefully making me a better boxer over time.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 11:38am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Can't imagine going to work with a black eye after a few rounds of sparing on a semi regular basis...Don't forget the ears not getting injured too. It's true though that a headgear with cheek protectors will restrict your peripheral vision and you can actually get hit more often, but when you do, it softens the blow and you don't get badly cut or swollen. It certainly does not increase the impact!
    I also find it a bit more reassuring and allow myself more experimenting when I have my headgear on me, hopefully making me a better boxer over time.
    Actually yes it does increase impact. Stop being a douchebag with the fonts btw.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Actually yes it does increase impact.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=1#post2509457
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 12:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry Tom, two thing; one, I misspoke, I meant to say does increase injury. Second, while I agree with the science of that study I believe the study was loaded. In other words static target versus moving target amongst several other factors not addressed in that study.

*edit, now I remember why I used impact. It was because Erezb used it. Serves me right to jump on the forum with minor hangover without drinking my coffee. (did you get my text btw?)

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 2:10pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The argument of the headgear being heavy thus increasing the impact is just falls, and you don't need a degree in physics to see that, it is actually the opposite (if you agree with the head gear being heavy theory. Which i don't).

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 2:15pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    The argument of the headgear being heavy thus increasing the impact is just falls, and you don't need a degree in physics to see that, it is actually the opposite (if you agree with the head gear being heavy theory. Which i don't).
    "Is just falls"? Please elaborate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast