Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 6:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: knife throwing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Utility of Martial Arts

Besides the sport-aspect, and a way to stay fit doing something fun, what is the justifiable utility of martial arts in today's world?

Suppose someone asked you why they should study judo, MMA, whatever, instead of just buying a taser, stun gun, pepper spray . . ., what would you tell them?

The best response I can think of is you always have martial arts. Little technological devices can be taken away from you, aren't legal to carry in some localities, and can fail. They augment capability, not replace.

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 6:32pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got in it one. You're always 'armed' if you keep you're training up. Avoiding trouble spots or being protected by other means is always a good idea but you never know, fights can crop up in weird places and its good to be prepared.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 6:57pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically what you said but I would add that should the worst happen you would have a skill set to fall back on that hopefully you will feel confident in and be able to come out on top, even if on top just means you were able to disengage and run like hell.

^Really just a rewording of what has already been said.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing MA for "practical reasons" is the most limiting way to study... not to mention it's fucking boring.

There is no practical aspect to martial arts... except to those who are paranoid and play "what if?" games just dying for an excuse to go bezerk on someone.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 8:24pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom is correct. Statistically speaking, it's pretty much useless. Gotten me in more trouble than anything else.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah really the chances of getting into a situation where you are gonna use MA is almost nil unless you go looking for trouble. people who do it solely for self defense are fucking weirdos.

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 10:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess I'm a fucking weirdo.

My hobby is wilderness hiking.

Being a complete failure on the professional level, I have--for far too many decades--had to fall back on the philosophically-rarified domain of nightclub security in order to finance my hobby (and do other irrelevant things like pay the bills).

In order to be effective at that, to prepare for those times when other measures didn't work and physical intervention was necessary--and since weapons aren't generally allowed to doormen--I've trained in MA.

The fact that such training has allowed me to get home to my wife, after dealing with a full spectrum of combative idiots, with only minor scars over the years is, of course, utterly irrelevant: when training for self-defense is pointless, it's pointless.

I've obviously wasted much of my time, and am very much ashamed to be wasting anyone else's. Do not read this post.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/31/2011 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    The fact that such training has allowed me to get home to my wife, after dealing with a full spectrum of combative idiots, with only minor scars over the years is, of course, utterly irrelevant: when training for self-defense is pointless, it's pointless.

I've obviously wasted much of my time, and am very much ashamed to be wasting anyone else's. Do not read this post.
    Yes, it is a waste of time to think your luck has a point.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Guess I'm a fucking weirdo.

My hobby is wilderness hiking.

Being a complete failure on the professional level, I have--for far too many decades--had to fall back on the philosophically-rarified domain of nightclub security in order to finance my hobby (and do other irrelevant things like pay the bills).

In order to be effective at that, to prepare for those times when other measures didn't work and physical intervention was necessary--and since weapons aren't generally allowed to doormen--I've trained in MA.

dont be fucking pedantic, you do it for your job. that isnt the same thing.

also, hiking is for weirdos

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most practical reason for doing Judo is that some people on the mat are trying to throw me.
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast