I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    If it's whey protein isolate, the lactose should all be removed. I'm lactose intolerant and couldn't have whey, but whey protein is not a problem -- I have it every day in a protein shake (made with coconut milk beverage instead of a dairy base); no sign of the rather distinct symptoms of lactose intolerance.

I have bought lactose free whey protein in the past. It's about $57

The Soy protein I buy is dietary weight loss supplement stuff with multi vitamins that I mix BCAA powder and omega 3 oil in and only costs $15 a canister.

To me it's just cheaper.

I am cheap

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 1:19pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wheat isn't the problem as much as it is the amount you consume and when. I like to have toast with my breakfast, so I can have my carb intake for the day and I don't have to eat anymore later.

Eating carbs later in the day isn't good because your metabolism slows down in the afternoon. You still need carbs, though and I don't see how which form of carbohydrate it is matters as long as it isn't processed sugary foods.

Just my opinion.

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 1:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Wheat isn't the problem as much as it is the amount you consume and when. I like to have toast with my breakfast, so I can have my carb intake for the day and I don't have to eat anymore later.

Eating carbs later in the day isn't good because your metabolism slows down in the afternoon. You still need carbs, though and I don't see how which form of carbohydrate it is matters as long as it isn't processed sugary foods.

Just my opinion.
    I think you have the correct.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 3:00pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    I have bought lactose free whey protein in the past. It's about $57

The Soy protein I buy is dietary weight loss supplement stuff with multi vitamins that I mix BCAA powder and omega 3 oil in and only costs $15 a canister.

To me it's just cheaper.
    Now that is a good argument.

I’m allergic to soy protein, and I’m lactose intolerant, so it’s the expensive whey for me, alas.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 4:26am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For about 7 months last year, I stopped eating bread altogether (ehh, once every couple of weeks an entire pizza or sub, to stay sane, but honestly that was it), and cut out pasta and rice as well.

In the first 2 months I lost about 20lbs that I didn't know I even had to lose. My strength remained the same at 180lbs as it was at 200. My recovery time and conditioning went *through the roof*, and my BJJ coach started calling me Supah-zack (super-zack with a brazillian accent).

It was honestly the best thing for my BJJ game, conditioning wise, ever.

After awhile though, you get to thinking "I am a man. What is the point of being alive if I can't eat a fu**ing cheeseburger" and you go to what Bruiser said, and just learn when and how to limit your wheat products.

The only interesting thing I noticed, specifically in regards to weight loss, is that the wheat-free program only works for so long to lose weight before you balance out. When you balance out of course, you are lean and looking great, but there is a limit ( or seemed to me to be ) to what you can accomplish through this diet alone.

When you first start, your body is used to fueling itself primarily off wheat-based carbohydrates, so the initial change causes you to burn all kinds of fat to accomodate for the loss in that energy source. After awhile though, my body seemed to adjust to my new diet. Considering this, I think alternating back and forth between a healthy diet including wheat and a completely wheat-free diet, many times throughout the year, would be the best option. That way you can keep your metabolism guessing, and stay good and fit in the process, without going crazy having dreams where you are having sex with an italian sub.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 10:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a **** load of gluten free products and such now, at least here. I have a great burger place I can go to that has Gluten free buns, I can make my own gluten free pizza and bread, and gluten free brownies are great.

Basically I found a way to substitute my crappy diet with a crappy Gluten free diet.

Hurray for me

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 1:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My weight tends to fluctuate. I can go for long stretches and stick to a very healthy diet with lots of exercise and I also tend to have stretches of couch chilling and eating plates full of tater tots. Damn, I love me some tater tots!

I'm losing weight at the moment and I'm trying something different. Instead of going all hardcore I'm exercising moderately and eating healthier but not getting ridiculous like I've done in the past (plain chicken breasts, baked fish, no dairy, no bread - basically no taste and no fucking fun). Instead I'm sticking with a diet that isn't disgustingly fatty and gross but that I don't hate. I'm focusing on controlling portion sizes.

I'm a lot happier because I'm not depriving myself to the point where I turn into a raging crackhead if I smell my neighbor grilling a burger.

Probably my favorite thing about eating healthier is reducing the bloat. It amazes me how much unprocessed food we carry around in our guts. A couple years ago I took the kids to Disney World for a week. I had been on a hardcore stretch and I was pretty lean. I ate like hell while I was there and when I got home and stepped on the scales I had gained 10 fucking pounds. In. A. Week. Obviously it wasn't 10 pounds of fat and it wasn't water weight because I was well hydrated to begin with. That's how much extra food I was carrying around. That's gross.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 4:28am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gross, but also kind of impressive at the same time.

You ever weigh yourself, on the same scale, immediately before and after dining at a buffet? It's like a little competition with yourself.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 8:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an update. My experiment into giving up wheat in my diet started well, was feeling more energetic, lost a few lbs. I tore my meniscus and MCL a few weeks ago and just completely derailed off the wheat free diet (no real time, energy or inclination to deal with it). Might take a run at it in the future but I will probably just reduce the wheat/carbs rather than eliminate them. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 6:31am

Style: No

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think a few spoonfuls of brown rice or a corn chip now and then is really going to upset the apple cart. I've seen a lot of back and forth about rice and corn. Anyhow Thanks everyone for sharing...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast