Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 7:12pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

healthy breakfast cereals

Many people often neglect breakfast and would rather sleep until the last minute. I'm guilty of this although I try to never skip breakfast. Although there are many quick easy breakfast choices, cereal is one of the easiest options that requires no thinking ahead the night before or prep time in the morning.

I believe the topic of healthy breakfast suggestions has been discussed here before but I'd like to focus specifically on cereals. I realize a lot of cereals are marketed as "healthy" but still contain loads of sugar and other crap. What are acceptable ranges of carbs, sugars, fats, ect for a breakfast cereal? What should I look for when choosing a cereal?

What can I eat with my cereal that will help make the meal more balanced? I try to add fruit and yogurt as well as a protein shake, any other suggestions? I'm trying to consider things that require little to no prep.

Lastly can anyone suggest some specific healthy brands of cereal?

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choose a cereal that is high in fiber, has lots of vitamins, and is low in sugar.

I like Raisin Bran.

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 7:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat real basic granola type cereals with non-fat Greek yogurt, really filling and high in protein.
    It's about double the protein but half the sugars and around the same calories as regular yogurt.
    The Ezekiel brand health food store stuff is awesome, but it's really pricey for a damn cereal, seriously.
    Steel cut oats etc. are much more economical, but of course take more time.

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 9:46pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take a big cereal container and fill it with a box of Uncle Sam Toasted Whole Wheatberry Flakes and Flaxseed Cereal, one box of All Bran Bran Buds and one box of one of the higher sugar but immensely delicious tasting Kellogg's Fiber Plus Cereal. Its a good balance between high fiber and wanting to kill myself after tasting what is in my bowl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 10:10pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate missing breakfast, always have but I cant drink milk, so I just have raw rolled oats and cold water. It came out of necessity when I was travelling and wanted something in my bag that didn't weigh a lot but was nutritious and wouldn't spoil. It's tough going if your not used to it but you can mix another cereal or sultana's through it to give it a bit more sweetness or some honey on top.

These days I enjoy it, there are natural flavours present when you remove all the added sugars that are present in a lot of cereals. It is cheap, good for you and you never have to worry about being out of milk.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 10:12pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate missing breakfast, always have but I cant drink milk, so I just have raw rolled oats and cold water. It came out of necessity when I was travelling and wanted something in my bag that didn't weigh a lot but was nutritious and wouldn't spoil. It's tough going if your not used to it but you can mix another cereal or sultana's through it to give it a bit more sweetness or some honey on top.

These days I enjoy it, there are natural flavours present when you remove all the added sugars that are in a lot of cereals. It is cheap, good for you, available just about anywhere in the world and you never have to worry about being out of milk.

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 10:56pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Can anyone recommend a decent granola cereal? Is raisin really that good for you? I've always liked it i'll have to take a closer look at the nutrition label. I've always wondered what the difference was between greek and regular yogurt but i've never really looked into it so i'll have to pick some up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 1:27am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually like noodle dishes for breakfast...maybe some pho or just whatever leftover protein I have mixed with some fresh peppers, olive oil, and rice vinegar. Kiwi is super legit, a great side with a ton of vitamin C.

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 9:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Porridge, with a little bit of jam.

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 10:01am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ded Morose View Post

These days I enjoy it, there are natural flavours present when you remove all the added sugars that are present in a lot of cereals. It is cheap, good for you and you never have to worry about being out of milk.
    Try soaking musli overnight in water, all the sugar from the dried fruit leaches out and sweetens the whole lot
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast