Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2011 11:51pm

Style: Shotokan karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

soooo...finally got to officially spar yesterday...

annndddd kinda didn't do stellar lol. It was light/medium contact thankfully lol.

Anyways i have a few questions, though i think the answers will just be "do it more often and learn more as you do it", but i'll ask anyways.

I noticed i have a really bad habit of misjudging my range. Against some of the less awesome people i wasn't having a problem getting in and hitting them, but against those that were better, i usually ended up hitting air when i'd throw a punch or a kick, and it wasn't always because they moved out of range as i was throwing a technique :(

Outside of trying to range find with my jab (which i was missing with a lot also sigh), are there any other particularly useful ways to figure out the range of your moves without getting clobbered trying to get in and land something?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try giving us some info such as the ruleset you were sparring under...

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 12:25am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotokanbjj View Post
    Outside of trying to range find with my jab (which i was missing with a lot also sigh), are there any other particularly useful ways to figure out the range of your moves without getting clobbered trying to get in and land something?
    I'm going to assume you're from the US for a moment and have typical American sensibilities regarding personal space. Think of it like this: If you're close enough to talk to them in a normal tone of voice, you're probably at the extreme edge of your effective punching range but close enough to effectively kick. If you're close enough to talk in a crowded/noisy area, you're probably close enough to punch. If you're close enough to tell them a secret, then you're close enough to use elbows and knees or move into standing grappling. That's the mindset I took to stop using my jab like a sonar ping for range-finding and it seems to have worked. I still jab a lot but they land a lot more. Hope it helps for you, too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 12:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex: it was just kick boxing sparring basically. Can throw any technique to any part of the body, we weren't going hard enough to really do damage, as long as people were being careful at least. Only thing we couldn't do were elbows. I'm new to this so sorry if that's not enough info :(

Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I'm going to assume you're from the US for a moment and have typical American sensibilities regarding personal space. Think of it like this: If you're close enough to talk to them in a normal tone of voice, you're probably at the extreme edge of your effective punching range but close enough to effectively kick. If you're close enough to talk in a crowded/noisy area, you're probably close enough to punch. If you're close enough to tell them a secret, then you're close enough to use elbows and knees or move into standing grappling. That's the mindset I took to stop using my jab like a sonar ping for range-finding and it seems to have worked. I still jab a lot but they land a lot more. Hope it helps for you, too.
    Lol not a matter of personal space really, from my shotokan training, my goal was always to get in as close as possible and finish the job, but that's self defense, not touching gloves with someone who's fully aware im going to try hitting them lol.

Fair enough though, i felt like every time i threw something, i'd eat a leg kick or a counter punch, having stubby arms doesn't help in that regard either -_- (nothing like trading a jab for a hook to the head lol, definitely not in my favor). One thing i was trying to do was fake the jab into leg kicks, if the kick connected i would try to follow up with a cross or reverse punch (which i found is incredibly hard to do with any sort of intent with boxing gloves on, lesson learned lol, even when it hit, it wasn't significant, even at 10-15% output), if i missed i figured i wasn't in range to follow up.

I did land one pretty solid side kick, and one ax kick that had i actually put anything behind it, would have been game over for the person i landed it on, but i found i could only really hit with those when i made them make a mistake, any time i tried to put on offense i found myself out of range :(

I'll give what you said a shot, can't hurt to try :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 12:43am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When your jabbing range is hooking range for whoever you're sparring, chances are pretty good you're not jabbing correctly (unless you're at a huge height disadvantage).

Have you tried to jab with good shoulder and hip movement and really using the length of your arms? I know when I started sparring I used to throw really half-assed jabs that got me in a really awkward distance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    When your jabbing range is hooking range for whoever you're sparring, chances are pretty good you're not jabbing correctly (unless you're at a huge height disadvantage).

Have you tried to jab with good shoulder and hip movement and really using the length of your arms? I know when I started sparring I used to throw really half-assed jabs that got me in a really awkward distance.
    Well since that was day 1 i'm not sure what all i was and wasn't doing heh. The coach that was sparring with us was explaining to me about how to jab while staying in a lower stance while rotating the hips and extending the jab out a bit more. The stance he was trying to teach last night seemed to help too, i'm sure i'll get it after a while, but ya gotta make sure i don't half-ass it.

I'll tell you man, after years of punching gloveless and bare knuckle, it really is weird to use boxing gloves, gonna take some getting used to for sure, i don't feel half as fast or powerful with them on :( It'll come with time though i'm sure.

Most people there are taller than i am (the good people anyways, the tall crappy ones i was head kicking all night lol, no issue there), but it's more the length of my arms vs. my actual height. I swear for a 5'9'' individual i have arms like a 5'6'' person -_-

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 5:21am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I swear for a 5'9'' individual i have arms like a 5'6'' person -_-
    Well, I can see how that makes things difficult :P

By the way, for clarification: I wasn't trying to say, "You suck, look at me, I haz all da wizdomz", I just remember my very early sparring and some stuff I did wrong and what you described sounded a bit familiar so I thought I'd give some ideas.

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 8:26am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will have a go. Are you trying to enter an not be hit at the same time?

In otherwords are you almost faking your strikes so that you dont have to commit yourself to getting hurt?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Well, I can see how that makes things difficult :P

By the way, for clarification: I wasn't trying to say, "You suck, look at me, I haz all da wizdomz", I just remember my very early sparring and some stuff I did wrong and what you described sounded a bit familiar so I thought I'd give some ideas.
    heh i didn't take it that way at all, no worries :) Definitely taking what you said into account ^_^

gregaquaman:

Pretty much that's what i'm trying to do, trying to get in closer so i can hit and not get clobbered in the process.

Kind of ya, sometimes i'm faking them to try to set something else up, other times i was faking them simply to gauge reaction from the opponent.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed i have a really bad habit of misjudging my range. Against some of the less awesome people i wasn't having a problem getting in and hitting them, but against those that were better, i usually ended up hitting air when i'd throw a punch or a kick, and it wasn't always because they moved out of range as i was throwing a technique :(
    I think you identified the issue right there. Those that were better were able to control the range, while the less awesome ones let you do it or (more likely) you were both fighting to control it. For me, more sparring is what it took to get better at that sort of thing, though I also like to work drills on a bag that moves a lot so that I can work on keeping range and working angles as it swings about.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast