Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow. Tough guy, for self plugging the wounds, but stupid for going with his kids. Also, selling golds via craigslist? 1/10

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemsoldier View Post
    No worries. A firearm generally has a single chamber where the cartridge rests when it is ready to fire. In the case of a semi-automatic pistol, that is the back of the barrel before the rifling begins. When the slide comes forward from the rearward position it grabs the top cartridge from the magazine and pushes it out of the magazine and forward till it is in the chamber with the action closed, or "chambered" as it were.

Most firearms operate with this type of chambering. A notable exception is the revolver that technically has multiple chambers in the cylinder (the round bit), as many chambers as the number of cartridges it holds. Most revolvers hold between 5-8 cartridges with the most common being six. So Dirty Harry's famous S&W Model 29 holds 6 .44 magnum cartridges in 6 chambers that rotate to bring each chamber in line with the barrel.

Not your fault, you dont have many guns in your neck of the woods. I know the UK has been fairly hostile to armed self defense, how are they in dealing with martial artists who defend themselves?
    Thanks for that. :-)

In the UK, the rule of thumb is "reasonable force". Yes, a minefield but a goldmine for lawyers...mixed metaphor aside. MA skills will be looked at in forensic detail and what might take you 5 seconds to execute, say, multiple strikes leading to a Throw and Finish, will likely take 5 days in the witness box in your justifying your response to an Attack.

The Judge and others will ask the obvious questions:
    - why were in that position in the first place
    - was it avoidable
    - when you were assaulted and gave your initial strike, did you have a means of escape.

I tell students that we are not teaching a Vandals Charter and they must be able to stand up in court to explain why they defended themselves as they did. Particularly as the situation might have been avoidable in the first place; if not, did they look for an escape route?

In the UK courts, you can be prosecuted for "excessive use of force" irrespective of your being subject to an unwarranted attack. Hence why avoidance is the best form of self defence.

No de-rail intended.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 1/02/2012 3:15pm at . Reason: why not way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 3:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you typed isn't that different from our laws. Yes, even excessive use of force.

:)

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For realz.

I was attacked in a home invasion, defended myself without throwing a single strike, and yet I still spent almost 5 hours on the stand defending my actions under withering questioning by the perp's attorney. A lot of it was defending printouts of my Bullshido posts, and the fact that I'm a martial arts enthusiast, was used against me to get him off.

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    For realz.

I was attacked in a home invasion, defended myself without throwing a single strike, and yet I still spent almost 5 hours on the stand defending my actions under withering questioning by the perp's attorney. A lot of it was defending printouts of my Bullshido posts, and the fact that I'm a martial arts enthusiast, was used against me to get him off.
    So he broke into your house and you had to defend your actions on the stand?? That's fucked up.

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 3:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    For realz.

Bob

I believe it mate. Wasn't it Shakespeare who said in his Henry II, "first kill all the lawyers"?

But I could be wrong (again) :-)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234