Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 4:57am

Style: JKD, MT, G.H Bagpipes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting! Love the throw, I need to start drilling that.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 2:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    !! I was taught that kick catch move by one of the local kung fu instructors in gainesville (actually, hes one of the best kung fu guys I've seen) in a different way. I didn't know others did it too. I never got any good at it because my club didn't really spar with catch rules.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 3:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing/muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3:01 thats some tricky creative **** right there. Can't say I'd remember to pull it off, but I like that. Thumbs up for a fresh insight to some foundational ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 9:54pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The second= in my tool box from now on.

I never though of throwing someone like that... I generally go for the ankle pick from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 2:15am

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Wanted to start opening up the advanced striking section so I threw up an impromptu video of some of my favorite leg kick strategies.

The first technique is a fave of mine. Do you alw2ays go hamstring there? I've had some success taking it low like a cut kick and getting the back/side of the calf. Still seems to be effective at getting the knockdown, but if you know of any drawbacks I'd appreciate the expertise of an elder.

My peppermint twist is actually set up in a vary similar way, but instead of stepping out and kincking their planted leg, you go hip to hip, and kick the piss out of the back of the leg while throwing an albow or tricep into the chest. Drops'em like a sack of spuds.

I'm going to try out the second technique next time my and my folks do some full MMA sparring. Never thought to catch the roundhouse with the leg, that's pretty nifty.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 9:18am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    The first technique is a fave of mine. Do you alw2ays go hamstring there? I've had some success taking it low like a cut kick and getting the back/side of the calf. Still seems to be effective at getting the knockdown, but if you know of any drawbacks I'd appreciate the expertise of an elder.

My peppermint twist is actually set up in a vary similar way, but instead of stepping out and kincking their planted leg, you go hip to hip, and kick the piss out of the back of the leg while throwing an albow or tricep into the chest. Drops'em like a sack of spuds.

I'm going to try out the second technique next time my and my folks do some full MMA sparring. Never thought to catch the roundhouse with the leg, that's pretty nifty.
    Your peppermint twist sounds like our "Phoenix throw". Do you start high and rotate downward? Maybe I should do a video on that. It was going to be an inside leg variation. But yes, I've done high calf before, works just as good if not better; this way is safer.

As to the roundhouse kick catch, watch Tito Ortiz and Machida fight.

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 11:24am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vote for the "Phoenix Throw" video!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:07pm

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Your peppermint twist sounds like our "Phoenix throw". Do you start high and rotate downward? Maybe I should do a video on that. It was going to be an inside leg variation. But yes, I've done high calf before, works just as good if not better; this way is safer.

As to the roundhouse kick catch, watch Tito Ortiz and Machida fight.

Hmm... not exactly, the idea is to end up on the ground next to your opponent, parallel to eachother, with your arm stretching across their body to control their far leg. Essentially, reaching across them and cupping their ass, preventsd them intitiating a scramble. From there we either step over to mount, or use our far leg to reap THEIR near leg and perform a hands-free knee lock.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I went to my first kickboxing class at the mma gym I decided to attend, and that set up was one of the first things I learned. When we sparred later, though, the leg kicks never worked for me. A lot of the time I went for them I got my opponents hands in my face. I'm guessing this is way more useful for a late round tactic when your opponent is worn out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 6:25pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    So, I went to my first kickboxing class at the mma gym I decided to attend, and that set up was one of the first things I learned. When we sparred later, though, the leg kicks never worked for me. A lot of the time I went for them I got my opponents hands in my face. I'm guessing this is way more useful for a late round tactic when your opponent is worn out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Yes, you have to get your opponent into a rhythm before you attempt.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast