Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:10pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Critique the crap out of my sparring

Now with properly aligned videos! Last time that didn't work out so great. I'm the shorter guy in both, with the bright green shin guards.

Apologies for the lighting conditions in the first one-

Definitely wasn't having a great night. Some things I noticed right off the bat that made me cringe include:

-Total lack of pressure on my opponent. I'm the shortest person in my gym and I can't let the other guy dictate the pace or I end up playing the reaction game too much. At best, I can usually get a few counters in doing this. At worst, I stand there and wait for them to do something.

-Not nearly enough body shots.

-Coming in and going out in straight lines. Not an angle to be found there.

-Maybe I might want to check a kick sometime this year.

Didn't know if this belonged in basic or advanced, but I figured I'd err on the side of safety.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Add what level it was supposed to be and level of contact so people can give you better feedback.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Light-ish contact, someplace between "technique" and "fighting skill" on the KidSpatula scale she gives in her how-to thread. Sorry, should have thought to put that in to begin with.

Also, that's definitely the same round twice. Damn it. Here was the other one I meant to post-

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 6:02pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the angles stuff, as you've already mentioned. You drop your hands a bit when kicking. It also seems to me that your eyes go where you're planning to plant your kick.

Also, maybe it's just my impression, but I feel you're sometimes getting very close to the other guy without doing anything, which leads to him putting pressure on you and leaves you in an awkward position where you just try to cover up. Maybe trying to use more jabs etc. as an entry when you're trying to close in.

I think a couple of times there have been opportunities to parry/ counter that went unused, but I guess I'm nitpicking.

Is there a reason why you hardly ever do teeps/ push kicks?

How long have you been training? It doesn't look too bad.

EDIT: I know that I don't have a lot of experience myself, but I think I see some stuff that I'm doing wrong, too, and constantly get reminded about, so I thought I'd share.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, maybe it's just my impression, but I feel you're sometimes getting very close to the other guy without doing anything, which leads to him putting pressure on you and leaves you in an awkward position where you just try to cover up. Maybe trying to use more jabs etc. as an entry when you're trying to close in.
    This is something I've been told by my coach and been trying to work on. Basically, I get caught moving in or out of range because I'm not really covering my movement. Essentially that if I'm going to go in, then go in, don't just step in and stand there like I'm waiting for a written invitation to start attacking.

Is there a reason why you hardly ever do teeps/ push kicks?
    I only tend to try to use them as a counter, and as the smallest guy there, that means I'm already in range to get slugged.

How long have you been training? It doesn't look too bad.
    With a legit instructor? A little bit longer than a year, and most of that time was spent breaking godawful habits I picked up from the last couple of yahoos I'd worked with.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 6:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First thing I noticed; when your partner throws a jab you do nothing. Use your right hand to catch it and throw one [a jab] straight back. It'll ruin their rhythm and set you up for a combo.

It's a basic move in boxing, but catches a lot of people off guard, particularly kickboxers.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First thing I noticed; when your partner throws a jab you do nothing. Use your right hand to catch it and throw one [a jab] straight back. It'll ruin their rhythm and set you up for a combo.
    Catch it as in turn the palm towards them and open it up a little to take it in the middle of the glove? I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 9:35pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked pretty good to me also, but just seemed a little, uhh, stiff, you know? Probably would have been better if you flowed a little more. Other than that though pretty good.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 4:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Catch it as in turn the palm towards them and open it up a little to take it in the middle of the glove? I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
    Yeah exactly, just catch it in the palm of the glove. Make sure you extend your left shoulder by twisting your body and almost 'pulling' their jab past you; as a shorter guy it's one way I get over the difficulty of having shorter reach..

..In fact I'm pretty sure I'm about the same height as you, so it should work.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 8:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm happy to report a good deal of success with most of these. The catch worked well, when I remembered to do it. The jab-while-slipping didn't go so well to the head, but I landed it to the body all night, and it sets up nicely for a right hand followup. Also upped the pressure and volume, which definitely helped.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast