Sponsored Links Spacer Image

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point I was trying to make with the shotgun was not about being conspicuous or not. I was trying to make a point about accidental firing from blunt impact to the weapon, something I was taught in basic gun safety class (I have a badge somewhere to prove it...if you want) and which I'm being told never happens anymore.

It seems common sense that a loaded weapon or even ammunition in a car collision or car fire would be a risk to the occupants. I don't think that is talking out my ass, if it is...I'm willing to take heat for being overly safe around guns, and I have my reasons.

Please continue contributing I am enjoying the thread and you're making me want to watch "A Christmas Story".
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/21/2011 4:15pm at .

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Hole View Post
    I don't think the extra second it would take to load the magazine would make a huge difference.

I was thinking more about the pin accidentally firing during a (relatively forceful) car collision. It happens. Modern holsters aren't going to prevent that from happening.
    An unloaded gun is a hammer. And that extra second means the difference between life and death. You should try to pick up a gun and load it while someone is running at you, or even yelling at you. It is very different.

And what kind of gun are you talking about that would go off in a wreck?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point I was trying to make with the shotgun was not about being conspicuous or not. I was trying to make a point about accidental firing from blunt impact to the weapon, something I was taught in basic gun safety class and which I'm being told never happens anymore.

It seems common sense that a loaded weapon or even ammunition in a car collision or car fire would be a risk to the occupants. I don't think that is talking out my ass, if it is...I'm willing to take heat for being overly safe around guns, and I have my reasons.
    I wouldn't carry an old ass shotgun loaded in a gun rack in my truck either. Modern combat pistols don't discharge from being banged around though and it's damn sure not going to happen in a Serpa holster or something similar.

If your car catches on fire, I'd suggest opening the door and getting out. If you're not able to do that, ammo cooking off is going to be the least of your worries.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point I was trying to make with the shotgun was not about being conspicuous or not. I was trying to make a point about accidental firing from blunt impact to the weapon, something I was taught in basic gun safety class (I have a badge somewhere to prove it...if you want) and which I'm being told never happens anymore.

Please continue contributing I am enjoying the thread and you're making me want to watch "A Christmas Story".
    Right and you posted a video showing how quick it is to load a gun....you know standing, ready with the gun already aimed, with no car and no steering wheel.

Gee, if you are going to make a point do it with the proper subject matter. Accidental discharge? There are numerous videos around which would have made your "real" point understood.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My perspective is that I not only was trained to unload weapons before traveling (for personal safety reasons, nothing to do with crime), and that I did once drop a rifle that accidentally discharged and almost killed myself.

That said, I agree with all points made. Thanks, and please continue your discussion.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My perspective is that I not only was trained to unload weapons before traveling (for personal safety reasons, nothing to do with crime), and that I did once drop a rifle that accidentally discharged and almost killed myself.

That said, I agree with all points made. Thanks, and please continue your discussion.
    That's fine for general firearm safety but those instructions aren't appropriate for self defense use.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:36pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a question: If I don't have a concealed carry permit and a cop pulls me over... if I did place my gun in view wouldn't that violate the "3 moves away" rule? How is the officer to know my gun was the legal 3 moves away vs. me riding around with it in my passenger seat?

I'm asking out of ignorance on this one. I seem to remember mention of the rule in my gun safety course when I was attempting to get my permit. However, that was a few years ago so things could have changed or I could be remembering it wrong.

I would assume my best bet would be that upon getting pulled over:
    1)turn off the car
    2)place keys on the dash
    3)roll down the window
    4)wait with hands at 10 and 2 until the officer approaches
    5)comply with the officers requests and inform him I have a weapon without a permit and the weapon is located in xxxx.

I'll add that looking like a nice clean cut young man has probably helped me out in many situations. If I can I always pull my sleeves down over my tattoos. I've been pulled over many times, the fact that I used to drive a lime green nissan pimpmobile probably didn't help either. In the past when driving around with a gun I just didn't mention it, did what was asked and either calmly accepted my ticket or not and drove off thanking the officer.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Sleaze View Post
    Here's a question: If I don't have a concealed carry permit and a cop pulls me over... if I did place my gun in view wouldn't that violate the "3 moves away" rule? How is the officer to know my gun was the legal 3 moves away vs. me riding around with it in my passenger seat?

I'm asking out of ignorance on this one. I seem to remember mention of the rule in my gun safety course when I was attempting to get my permit. However, that was a few years ago so things could have changed or I could be remembering it wrong.

I would assume my best bet would be that upon getting pulled over:
    1)turn off the car
    2)place keys on the dash
    3)roll down the window
    4)wait with hands at 10 and 2 until the officer approaches
    5)comply with the officers requests and inform him I have a weapon without a permit and the weapon is located in xxxx.

I'll add that looking like a nice clean cut young man has probably helped me out in many situations. If I can I always pull my sleeves down over my tattoos. I've been pulled over many times, the fact that I used to drive a lime green nissan pimpmobile probably didn't help either. In the past when driving around with a gun I just didn't mention it, did what was asked and either calmly accepted my ticket or not and drove off thanking the officer.
    The details of how you can carry depend on state law. I don't live in Florida but I'm pretty sure (without going to Google) Florida is a gun friendly state and the laws are probably similar to my state (NC).

There's no requirement in NC for your gun to be a certain distance from you. You can open carry here. It's legal to have the gun loaded on your hip if you want, without a permit if it isn't concealed.

I believe the 3 move rule you're referring to may pertain to a concealed weapon with no concealed carry permit. So you can have the pistol concealed in your trunk or something like that. Maybe one of the Coppers can clarify.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone remember that video where that cop seriously freaks out about that guy he pulls over has a gun and doesn't immediately tell the cop, because the cop's not giving him a chance to speak? I can't find the right group of words to search, but it seems relevant in this discussion.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    And you're not dead yet?

My procedure:

• Wave so the officer knows you see him.
    • Brake gently: the cop is right behind you. Don't piss him off by making him stand his cruiser on its front bumper.
    • Pull off the road and onto the shoulder as far as possible. Don't pull into the median unless the cop tells you to via loudspeaker.
    • If you can, angle your car so the back end sits towards the road a tiny bit.
    • Turn your hazzard lights on.
    • Kill the engine.
    • Set the parking brake.
    • Turn on your car's interior lights.
    • Roll driver's side window all the way down. If you have powered windows, roll all your windows down.
    • Tell all passengers to put their hands in their laps and sit quietly without unecessary movement. Also tell them not to speak unless the officer directly asks them a question.
    • Put your wrists in contact with the top of the steering wheel, hands open.
    • If you have a weapon anywhere in the passenger compartment, when the cop tells you to move, the first words should be very politely informing the officer where the weapon is and you need more instructions.
    • When you need to move, inform the officer why. eg: "My registration is in /location/. I'll get it now." If you need to get out of the car to get to something, tell the officer why and ask for explicit permission to open the door.
    • move smoothly and deliberately.

There's stuff I do to increase the chances the officer might let me slide on a ticket, but the above is what I do to decrease the chances I'll suddenly develop an allergic reaction and break out in bullet wounds.
    This should be shown as PSA's, read aloud during home room in High schools, and be required as part of the DMV's written and driving test
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast