Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

15 years since he's gone

Education on the value of free speech and the other freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights, about what happens when you don't have them, and about how to exercise and protect them, should be an essential prerequisite for being an American citizen — or indeed a citizen of any nation, the more so to the degree that such rights remain unprotected. If we can't think for ourselves, if we're unwilling to question authority, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.

Carl Sagan (November 9, 1934 – December 20, 1996)

Thanks.
    Last edited by DCS; 12/20/2011 4:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 6:38pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah.. the problem today is that we don't know what the problems are. Everything is so confusing.. Wikileak showed us that the world leaders can censor whatever they want. It also showed us that everybody in the American government can be bought.. and the president is the most expensive of them all.

Next time you vote for a president.. find out who pays his election campaign.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 1:57am

Style: spectator

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carl Sagan is/was one of my heroes and I still miss his brilliance. I've moved Neil de Grasse Tyson into the vacancy and he's doing well, though he hasn't quite reached the heights of Sagan. But I hope.

Nice post. Thanks.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 3:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good Reminder, thanks.

We used to see Carl Sagan on British TV and he was always popular. Sadly, he didn't linger too long in my thinking until recently when for whatever reason I started to watch him again on youtube. Perhaps it was one of their recommendations.

My point? Well, I was awed by his knowledge and reach. I also watched him during his final illness and rued his Passing.

What an Intellect, Communicator, Teacher!

Thanks again for the OP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 3:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched Carl Sagan with my grandmother, as a child. I miss them both.