Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reactionary gap for knife

This is for all my LEO brothers, security guards, and bouncers out there.

So I have a bunch of family and friends in Law Enforcement. When ever I try to talk empty hand techniques with them I always get the same stupid cop-out(no pun intended). Specifically the scenario of what would you do if you someone pulls a knife on you? I always get the answer, "I would shoot them." And then I ask what if you don't have time. They avoid the question. So the guy I train stick with sent me this video after we had this same discussion.

The video pretty much tells the story. Most of the time on the street you don't see cops using a 21 foot reactionary gap. Pretty hard to question someone at that distance. The thing I wanted to point out is at 0:43 in the video they say that at close distance against a knife, the only option is empty hand tactics. This alone should be enough to get you to at least train some knife stuff occasionally.

Whether it is the pat, wrap, and attack; two on one; x block or what ever. Just do some situational training with this every once in a while.

I personally have not been attacked with a knife. I have been attacked with a cane though. Luckily I have trained defense for that before.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep talking about Reactionary Gaps and you're gonna get Tripp over hear going on about Ann Coulter again
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 8:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! My bad! Well, Tripp is welcome, but he hasn't been around for a while.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 8:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it that the policeman is only capable of stepping, to the side, when he has his weapon drawn at 10 feet and not when he has his weapon undrawn at 10 feet?

I agree with the overall thrust of the video, but when it starts discussing the 10 feet + scenario it seems to ignore that fact that the policeman can step out of the direct line of attack.

Naturally this is difficult to impossible at less than 10 feet and in an enclosed space such as in the first examples basically impossible.

However, in the latter examples at 10 feet + the policeman seems to only be able to move out of the direct line if he has his hand on his weapon, otherwise he's apparently unable to step to the side.

Of course shock and surprise play a factor and regardless of the distance a policeman may freeze and not draw, but it seems silly to make a deal out of the distance and then show two scenarios at the same distance where in one the policeman is stationary and in the second he is able to move.

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 8:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I think they were just trying to illustrate the point. Plus they were pressed on time, as this was a training video. But I'm more looking at the 5-6 foot range. This is where cops spend the majority of their time interviewing people.

To me if you are in the 10 foot range, you may as well have your gun out because you have some suspicion that something is going on. But there are a lot of issues that come in to play there like using your vehicle or their vehicle for cover. Or maintaining control of the person by making them face away from you and ordering them into certain stances.

At the 5-6 foot range, the "oh ****" factor is a lot higher, so going for a side arm should be drilled out of the reaction. Empty hand techniques should be automatic.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 6:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main thing I got from that video is Inosanto's preferred cop-stabbing technique of concealing the knife draw by presenting his ID.

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 7:23am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Surviving Edged Weapons Attack" - a classic video.

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 7:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    The main thing I got from that video is Inosanto's preferred cop-stabbing technique of concealing the knife draw by presenting his ID.
    Yeah, that's a good eye opener. That is why a lot of people won't let people pull out their own wallets when they are being questioned. Cops get a lot of **** sometimes for making people put their hands on the car, or cuffing people for "safety" reasons. But when you figure that all these possibilities are going through your head, it makes a lot more since.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 7:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont really like the reactionary gap so much. It puts the gun users at the idea that they will always have attackers at 21 odd feet.

It was designed to put perspective into the debate but seems to have a habit of making people draw a bit faster beat the 21 feet and feel safe.

Stabbing should happen at stabbing range which is pretty bloody close.

That video also mentions using a physical barrier which I like.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 12/20/2011 7:59am at .

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 11:27am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Why is it that the policeman is only capable of stepping, to the side, when he has his weapon drawn at 10 feet and not when he has his weapon undrawn at 10 feet?

I agree with the overall thrust of the video, but when it starts discussing the 10 feet + scenario it seems to ignore that fact that the policeman can step out of the direct line of attack.

Naturally this is difficult to impossible at less than 10 feet and in an enclosed space such as in the first examples basically impossible.

However, in the latter examples at 10 feet + the policeman seems to only be able to move out of the direct line if he has his hand on his weapon, otherwise he's apparently unable to step to the side.

Of course shock and surprise play a factor and regardless of the distance a policeman may freeze and not draw, but it seems silly to make a deal out of the distance and then show two scenarios at the same distance where in one the policeman is stationary and in the second he is able to move.
    I've seen this done with policemen several times. They NEVER have the goddamn presence of mind to use evasive footwork unless you've specifically given instruction to do so beforehand. Everyone pipes up and backs straight up like a goddamn dear in headlights until you start drilling retreating at a 45 degree angle.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast