Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 4:10pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand why few pursue "practical" CMA weapon combat. The Chinese had a large number of tools that were absolutely great for killing people. The LARP saddens me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 12:17am

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    The monk's spade is fun. Traded a machinist a month of classes for him to make me one, and I think I could take on a tank with it.
    That's just too awesome. I have to keep that in mind, since I'll be approved to give lessons pretty soon, and I know a good blacksmith lol.

I don't know much about these more exotic weapons. Now, I study Hung Ga, but my favorite CMA is actually Baguazhang because I just love the beauty of the form/circle walk, tied into the deadliness of any well practiced martial art, and from what I've learned, the deer horn knives (deer antler crescents or whatever they were called in the video) are actually a pretty popular Baguazhang weapon. This thread has definitely sparked my interest, but sadly the steel fan form in my schools curriculum is one of the last forms you learn, and even though I'm close to the half way point, I'm still pretty far away from it. :P

All that being said, the philosophy of my school, as I'm sure is the philosophy of many other schools is basically that: nobody is really allowed to carry swords/spears anymore, or we have no need for it, because we don't have tigers and bears attacking us, nor do we have people from rival schools constantly attacking us on the street, meaning we simply don't need to carry weapons with us all the time. However, the way to wield a weapon still holds much value, for example, swinging any weapon around with proper form is going to be a great physical workout to make you stronger, and also the footwork of wielding a spear or kwan do can be very useful in a fight when you're empty handed.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    I don't understand why few pursue "practical" CMA weapon combat. The Chinese had a large number of tools that were absolutely great for killing people. The LARP saddens me.
    The dao is a good old standby, prob my third favorite after spade and long staff. This guy has done this a few years now in Chinatown. I just finished learning this same form.

If you guys want a video of me you'll have to wait until next year thought lol...need to practice.

2009:

2011:

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/24/2011 12:51am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you a yee's hung ga student, Ice Hole?

EDIT: I ask because I am, and in the 2011 vid, my sifu is the black man playing the small cymbals on the left. XD And the performer is my big training cousin Erwin.

(off topic, but did you get your name from an episode of Whose Line is it Anyway?)

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    Are you a yee's hung ga student, Ice Hole?

EDIT: I ask because I am, and in the 2011 vid, my sifu is the black man playing the small cymbals on the left. XD And the performer is my big training cousin Erwin.

(off topic, but did you get your name from an episode of Whose Line is it Anyway?)
    I was when this was taken, in fact I was with a different Lion team a street over when this was taken.

I am no longer officially with Yee's but still train under a longtime student of your sigung so we do in fact share lineage. It's right in my style field, can't you read all the Chinese yet??? :)

In fact I'm not the only one here, there are a few others.

This is my Christmas name, btw.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/24/2011 1:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 1:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting indeed. I just realized that after 0:09 in the 2011 video, I'm in the left corner taking still shots. I have my hood up and I have black sleeves over my hands. Wow, I've watched this video like 10 times and never realized that.

If you enjoy Whose Line is it Anyway? you should look up that episode with "ice hole" it is easily one of the best.

This will be my last post here until another post concerning this threads topic is made.

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 10:19am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Hole View Post
    The dao is a good old standby, prob my third favorite after spade and long staff. This guy has done this a few years now in Chinatown. I just finished learning this same form.
    Is it my imagination or are there fewer CMA'ers using those godawful tinfoil wushu weapons? Having been around real swords my entire life, it always made something inside me die a little whenever I saw those in action.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 10:27am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No now they have a "better" quality. They are still spring steel, but they have made a line that has less movement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2011 1:18pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, I thought I was the only ex Yee here that still trains under longtime students of Yee's. Sorry, I never read Chinese EVR. Welcome, brother. I don't know the reasons for your split, but we can PM about it, if you're ever curious. lol.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/27/2011 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    Well, if someone was really interested in practical weaponry use they'd probably look into the NRA before how to swing a Chinese broadsword around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Is it my imagination or are there fewer CMA'ers using those godawful tinfoil wushu weapons? Having been around real swords my entire life, it always made something inside me die a little whenever I saw those in action.
    Well, they're still the standard for wushu, at least. I remember at one of my school's Moon Festival demos, somehow another kung fu group's dao ended up with our stuff. It was one of the thickest swords I've ever seen (thicker than an actual fighting sword would be).

I went to an open tournament where they were selling all kinds of performance weapons. Flimsy wushu blades, hollow sparkly nunchaku, staves I could easily snap over my back etc.

I think this could be remedied by making a tameshigiri cut with their weapon as part of the performance (it would also put an end to "extreme" demos where katanas etc are tossed and spun in the air before catching it).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast