Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know I forgot about an old thread...

I have to look up where we discussed it but one big misconception with the 3-sectional and how it is used for fighting is in how it's trained. Lot's people who train with this don't know what the **** they are doing unless they actually learned their form from one of the old fighting lineages. There are two different ways you see people using this weapon: as a spinning whip type thing, or the way it was intended which is easy to see the effectiveness of: it's three Escrima sticks connected, basically.

Many people use it like nunchaku because they think it's basically a 3-section nunchaku. It's not.

I believe the idea was you have two sticks and a "shield" middle stick that you can use for blocking incoming blows. The weapon doesn't ever have to be whipped around the body at all...it's two fucking sticks that happen to be connected (which also helps you avoid having either stick taken from your hand or dropping/losing one.).

And just because I found this...

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/21/2011 5:27pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really not that difficult to avoid hitting yourself if you hold it in a spear style grip, which beats all of its other grips in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Hole View Post
    You know I forgot about an old thread...

I have to look up where we discussed it but one big misconception with the 3-sectional and how it is used for fighting is in how it's trained. Lot's people who train with this don't know what the **** they are doing unless they actually learned their form from one of the old fighting lineages. There are two different ways you see people using this weapon: as a spinning whip type thing, or the way it was intended which is easy to see the effectiveness of: it's three Escrima sticks connected, basically.

Many people use it like nunchaku because they think it's basically a 3-section nunchaku. It's not.

I believe the idea was you have two sticks and a "shield" middle stick that you can use for blocking incoming blows. The weapon doesn't ever have to be whipped around the body at all...it's two fucking sticks that happen to be connected (which also helps you avoid having either stick taken from your hand or dropping/losing one.).

And just because I found this...

That kind of grip makes sense, but in my opinion it's actually less effective than using two sticks. The center stick throws off the weight distribution of the stick when you swing it, and sometimes you want to have your hands closer together when fighting with 2 sticks (watch a sinawali drill, then imagine jamming 2 foot of stick between both wrists). I'm also rather sceptical that the middle one could be used to stop a shot of any great power, being on chains and attached at the butt end of your weapons. You can use the center one as a blocking device, but not with that sort of grip. You're also taking away your ability to do good kinetic power shots like you can do from a spear grip. Those should be the backbone of a weapon like that IMHO. Also, there is no need to whip them around the body to get a good amount of power (although if you really want to, you can do the long circle one handed strikes from the same grip though- similar circumstances as using the spinning back kick).

Have you been training the 3SS?
    Last edited by Permalost; 12/21/2011 5:46pm at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 1:16am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Have you been training the 3SS?
    I missed your last question, no I'm not really that interested in the 3SS (at this stage) for training...I do like digging into the history of all the weapons though and this one has some great stuff associated with it, not the least of which is a definitely fabricated Shaw Brothers story about its origin (smashing bamboo shoots? Because San Te is raging over not being able to get promoted? what? a new weapon!? win.).

I have one training bro who owns this weapon and is training with it.

My chief interests right now are dao, gwan, and (I think very soon) the monk's spade.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/29/2011 1:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2012 12:11am

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gene Ching was a student of Wing Lam, who practices both Hung Gar and Northern Shaolin. Both Systems would have versions of the three section staff in their curriculum. You could look on YOUTUBE and find Wing Lam likely presenting the Northern Shaolin version. Northern Shaolin is a more specific version of the more generic shaolin. Gives you something to look at and two styles which I have seen include it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123