Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 5:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    I thought I answered it pretty succinctly all things being considered - it will be either Shaolin or Wu Shu

Can't see what else to add.......
    Shaolin=Wushu Wushu=Shaolin. That's why I said "isn't fully." It isn't succinct at all.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 12:22am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bad ^^

Shaolin Showpony :

I have to admit I've always thought this weapon is kind of neat.
    But I'll still take a spear any old day of the week.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 1:29am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why, why, why does he throw his weapon up in the air (second video)? Is it really in the actual form? Or was this something akin to chinese xma with a more traditional flavor?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 5:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hokuto Shin Ken

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny. The first Vid was more practical and the moves are clear but there's no spark.

Second vid is really impressive but it's mostly show.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Sleaze View Post
    Why, why, why does he throw his weapon up in the air (second video)? Is it really in the actual form? Or was this something akin to chinese xma with a more traditional flavor?
    It's flair. Why the **** you'd ever throw your weapon away in any direction (as a technique) is beyond me, unless you wanted to wow a crowd (drill majors, etc do this all the time). Shaolin performers are all about wowing the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Geese View Post
    It's funny. The first Vid was more practical and the moves are clear but there's no spark.
    If you read that first video's YT description he says it's being done at slow speed on purpose.

A big part of training with this weapon is simply learning how not to hit yourself with it, as one of my training brothers is currently learning. Whether it's an effective/useful weapon or not, it's still good for training awareness and agility because unlike many other weapons, if you're careless with this thing for even a moment, you'll get a nice whack. It's really hard to whack yourself with the standard single or two section staves.

Then there is the n-th version of this, the chain whip. That weapon is for very advanced students because you can seriously hurt yourself with it.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/19/2011 9:26am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 10:11am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3-section staff is like the Nunchaku cool to look at, but true applicability is questionable.

No, the chain whip is not advanced. It is like any weapon if you learn it today you'll be fine.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned the 3SS form in choy li fut. Although, I haven't gone on to fight/compete with one, because even though I was good at the form, fighting with it is another matter entirely.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3-section staff is like the Nunchaku cool to look at, but true applicability is questionable

Indeed, I remember when I was young everyone, including myself, wanted to learn to use nunchaku because back then Bruce Lee was all the rage.
    I never nailed myself in the head, but whacked my elbow pretty damn hard once when I was learning.
    I have a set and can spin them around pretty good, but I bought them before I actually began training in weapons and once I learned a bit of staff and spear - they didn't come out of the closet much.
    They still don't.

If you read that first video's YT description he says it's being done at slow speed on purpose.
    My response to that is : fine, but for demo purposes do it once slowly and once at a decent speed so the viewers know you can actually use the damn thing.
    Last edited by OZZ; 12/19/2011 12:22pm at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 3:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to fight with a three-sectioned staff is to give one to your opponent and then, after he bonks himself in the head with it, stab him.

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 4:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern Praying Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seven Star Praying Mantis uses the 3-section staff. But, I'll agree with previous posters that you're more likely to knock yourself out than the other guy.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast