Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2012 11:00pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Arnis/Kali in Minnesota area

I looked up something along the lines of my title in the search engine and came up inconclusive...

Anyway fellas iv'e been doing Jujitsu and have been loving the ground fighting but would very much enjoy getting into my filipino roots and doing Kali/Arnis. All the ones i have found in the area are expensive as crap, and i always know there are the possibilities of hidden schools that go under the 'google' radar so i just thought i would ask if there were any i haven't found or if there any you all would recommend. I would prefer one that does a good amount of hand to hand and knife work.

Thanks guys

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 3:14am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck in your search. I'm surprised top learn of expensive FMA groups. I know a lot of FMA can be based out of garages and other martial arts clubs where they are just glad to have someone interested. I don't know how anyone would learn of my FMA group aside from posting here. We train at each others homes and a local gymnastics school that one of the members coaches at. I'm sure there are groups in your area, you may just have to do some digging. Check out FMA specific forums like fmatalk.com (can I post that link?) if nothing turns up here or on the web you can always call up individual schools, athletic clubs, or gymnastics studios and see if they have any FMA groups that rent/borrow space there, just be wary of the inevitable sales pitch.

If your interested in FMA for reasons of cultural heritage I wouldn't worry about specific knife and empty hand work. Your liable to run into american styles descended from filipino systems that focus on what you seek but they may not specifically be filipino in origin. I don't know how big the Minnesota FMA community is but you may be lucky to find any FMA at all. Keep in mind FMA is often a stick based art with blades and empty hand as a secondary aspect.

If you're truly interested in blade work or empty hand consider systems that respectively specialize in each method. Which may or may not be available from FMA clubs in your area. You have to determine what you want in a martial art first; weapons and empty hand training, or a link to your cultural roots. You may be able to get both from the same place... but you may have to choose.

I train FMA because I lucked into it, my original instructor was a big fitness nut which appealed to me and got me interested. I continue to train because I find the art interesting and fun. As far as practicality, I'm sure there's some carry over but I feel my BJJ is more applicable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2012 5:07pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.mnkali.com/

I'm guessing you found these guys already but I thought I would throw it out there. A bit pricy but I have heard very good things about them. If you are near any of their locations you might see if you can attend a class or two for free. You may decide it's worth the money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 1:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel free to check us out www.philippinecombatarts.com We train Bahad Zubu, under Dakila Yuli Romo one of the 5 pillars of Kalis Ilustrisimo. We are the only group that has trained in the Philippines, and we are the only group in MN that actively competes nationally. You can even see the instructors doing no armor (e.g. no helmet no body protector no gloves or cup) sparring in the Philippines with live rattan in the upcoming eskrima documentary "The Bladed Hand".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 7:38pm

Style: kendo, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, Kuya. How's the sparring situation at your club? Is it something you do regularly? I tried to find some information or videos on the site but I had a hard time coming up with anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 2:31pm

Style: Bahad Zubu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
    Hey, Kuya. How's the sparring situation at your club? Is it something you do regularly? I tried to find some information or videos on the site but I had a hard time coming up with anything.
    Hey Twobits. We spar every class at Bahad Zubu Midwest. We are currently getting ready for tournament season as well. Best way to get all your questions answered is to stop by and talk to one of us in person. Cheers.
    Last edited by 1evilgenius; 3/20/2012 2:35pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some guys from Minnesota came to train with us and some other FMA groups in San Diego a few months ago. Apparently they train in arnis and kempo. I just sent their head guy a message on Facebook asking if he had any suggestions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2012 6:19pm

Style: kendo, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks folks. I'll check it out in person once I get a...job. I'm a poor grad student.

I'm a former kendo guy and I wanted to move on to a weapon art that's a bit more alive. I'm hoping FMA will fulfill that.

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 5:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone already put Rick Fays Kali Group?