Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 3:06am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Butterfly Kick

As part of a thorough syllabus (general douchebaggery past purple belt) I've been considering learning and teaching a butterfly kick. Does anyone have any clever starting advice on the technique, and/or personal experience in using the technique.
    Aside from looking cool, it's also a cool one to say you 'can do'.
    'Yeah, I can do a butterfly kick.'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 3:31am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 4:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Wind nois* -.-
    This is very cool, is this you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 7:47am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by V3num View Post
    *Wind nois* -.-
    This is very cool, is this you?
    Nope.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 9:05am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may have better luck in the TKD/Korean martial arts forum.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Monster View Post
    You may have better luck in the TKD/Korean martial arts forum.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102
    Oh, thankyou. I wasn't entirely sure where to put it. My knowledge of the origins of the kick is limited.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 8:27pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to teach this and other completely worthless kicks for use in "open" forms back in the day(before I woke up). I had my students start by placing their hands on a table and get the footwork down first. This first step takes the longest to get down and the table will give them confidence to try it. Once the have the leg movement/footwork down, then have them start trying it in a heavily matted floor. Finally, once they get the movement down on the mats, have them try it in the middle of the room.

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 7:02pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my best advice is to start from a standing position. What you want to get down is the dip. It's crucial to get the dip down. With a good dip, it allows the momentum to carry you over instead of powering through the kick.

In order to get a good dip, stand relaxed, feet shoulder width apart. You'll then swing your arms and head side to side, sort of like a pendulum. Get a feel for it. Make sure to look behind your shoulder each time. Finding a point behind you to look at also helps. After which, start dipping your shoulders down in between each turn. You want to dip at a comfortable low level. For me, it's right at the waist. I dip to where my shoulders are at about waist level.

Combine the movements together. Get a feel for it once again. Once you become comfortable start thinking about how your feet are doing. Start to slightly pivot your feet along with your shoulders. Once you've got all of that down, decide on which is your dominant leg for jumping. For me personally, it's my right leg. So, what I tend to do is get the flow of the dip down before I go into a "superman" pose towards my right shoulder. Superman pose being shoulders dipped down, arms out, left leg up in the air, right leg firm on the ground while looking at the point behind you. You pretty much pivoted your body and dipped your shoulders into a 180. The toes of your right foot (if the right leg is dominant) should also be pointing towards the point behind you.

Again, get a feel for it. When you're comfortable with the movement the move will work wonderfully. After which you just go with the flow. Once you get into that superman position, jump with your right leg and keep your shoulders dipped. You should be able to land it, landing with the left leg first. It may take some practice but once you get it down, you'll realize just how easy all of it is.

As for running into it, I learned from a friend who told me to think of it as a step behind side kick. I ran, stepped behind my right foot as if I were going to do a step behind side kick, dipped towards my right shoulder, followed all the procedures and flowed right into it. The move is supposed to look graceful since it is just a move for aesthetic appeal.

I hope this helps. I usually teach my friends and demonstrate all the movements if they have no experience what so ever in anything like MA or dance. So, I'm not sure if I was able to articulate it appropriately.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 9:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved out of the advanced striking section. If we were discussing how to hit with it instead of how to do it I would've kept it in there.

For the record I have hit people with this kick.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 9:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Compliant Demos don't count.

*runs away*
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast