Posted On:
    3/07/2011 1:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Keysi Fighting Method

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Keysi Fighting Method (KFM)

Hello All,
    From viewing a couple of the threads on this forum in regards to the Keysi Fighting Method (KFM), it seems there is a lot of misconception and confusion on what KFM is and what KFM is not.

We have a new beginners group starting on Monday May 2, 2011 at 7:30pm.

If someone on this board would like to attend the group as my guest and write an honest review after the 4 month training program is over, we would be delighted to have you.

Post who you are on this thread and Email me at KFMNewYork@yahoo.com

Our Academy Address is:
    453 Sunrise Highway, Lynbrook NY 11563

Respectfully,
    John Leabo
    Chief Instructor
    KFM Lynbrook New York

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 1:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is this in the school review sub-forum?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:03pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can the OP link the threads he's referring to. Sounds like the OP is offering a free 4 month training session in exchange for a review, sounds like a good deal for anyone in the area.

For those of us not in the area to come train and to impatient to wait four months can you explain what misconceptions you perceive this site has about KFM?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:09pm

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Can the OP link the threads he's referring to. Sounds like the OP is offering a free 4 month training session in exchange for a review, sounds like a good deal for anyone in the area.

For those of us not in the area to come train and to impatient to wait four months can you explain what misconceptions you perceive this site has about KFM?
    I don't know the system to well but one of the main "misconceptions" might be that you can get your black belt online, some people might find that a little suspect.

https://www.keysikfm.com/en/university/intro

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had a documentary on it in the UK, in which a UK MMA fighter preparing for a fight goes around the world sampling different fighting styles and one of them was the Keysi Fighting method or Spanish Gypsy Fighting.

It is the standard RBSD Fayre (camo pants a must), with added spinning around in circles to confuse you're opponents. The guy was spouting that with this training you would be able to take on 8 guys simultaneously, which after a weeks worth of training they had this MMA guy larping a simulated fight with 8 keysi guys who all looked like mens health cover models.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:47pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to MABS. This doesn't belong in school reviews.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize for posting this in the wrong place. It's my first time on here and this forum is huge. Thank you administrator for putting this in the right place.

I was reading one of the old threads about KFM on here in reference to why we fight with our hands on top of our head and our involvement with the Batman movies, etc, etc. and I thought I would clear things up and invite someone on this board to see first hand why we fight the way we do and how are training "method" works.

Like a boss,
    As a far as getting your "Blackbelt online", that is false.
    We do use the technology of today to proprogate the Art and make money just like the Gracies and everyone else who offers on-line training. Not everyone lives near a KFM Academy especially here in the USA where there are only a handfull of Schools in the whole country. So, we are not handing out rank, rank can only come from an Instructor, but we are offering video's of what we teach and they are sold in a progressive fashion. They are also designed for students to use as a reference tool in conjunction with their class training.

I must say that I don't agree with everything that KFM headquarters (Vallencia, Spain) does but I do understand where they are coming from. They want to propagate and spread the Art and make money.

I will say that the KFM Material and the Art are solid or I would'nt be involved with it.

But rather then sit on this computer and talk **** I would rather show some unbiased forum members first hand. So if you live in the Long Island or Manhattan New York and would like to take our beginners 4 month course free and then write an honest review, feel free to contact me. Due to space limitations I will only take three people (must be at least 17 years old, we do not teach children at our Academy).

There is a reason why we continue to be sold out for every beginners class we offer and why everyone who "actually" train's with us has nothing but great things to say about us.

Come see for yourself.

Respectfully,
    John Leabo
    Chief Instructor
    KFM Lynbrook New York

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Leabo, is there a student or someone who is knowledgeable in your system that could come on here and talk about it. As Speedy stated, some of us don't live in New York, and could not take you up on your offer. I live in Florida. But that doesn't mean I am not interested.

A student who has been doing your system for a while would probably be a pretty good person to give a review. It doesn't have to be non-biased. For example I have trained in a few martial arts and some of them looked good when I first went there, but it took a while of training before I realized some of the problems.

But since you only have time to type up the offer to train, maybe you have a student who could come on here to talk about the misconceptions that you were referring too.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diesel,
    I had a BJJ Blackbelt (under Relson Gracie) who was also a body guard to the pope and a hand to hand combat Instructor for the Marines fly in from Hawaaii to recently train with me. His name is Kai Lai. His testimonial (and other Law Enforcement Officers) are on my website under testimonials (www.KFMNewYork.com).

Personally, I really don't like this internet type stuff but
    I'll see if I can get him on here to answer any questions about his experience with KFM and what he thought.

Respectfully,
    John Leabo
    Chief Instructor
    KFM Lynbrook New York
    Last edited by KFMNewYork; 3/07/2011 5:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 8:00pm

Style: Shaolin, Goshin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Mr Leabo,

Welcome to Bullshido! I'm glad to see you here sir, as I was active on the UK mainland martial arts scene when KFM was making big news over there. I never ran into a Keysi fellow myself, nor did I have the spare money to travel South and meet anyone from KFM face to face (I was a student at the time) but I was interested by the hype. Back then, the people I knew who had experience of KFM fell into two distinct groups; those who thought it was the next great evolution in MA, and those who thought it was re-packaged 'grab my wrist' self defence with added anger and cardio.

I'll just point put now that I live on a little island south of Britain, so I regretfully can't take you up on your kind offer (although I hope someone else does).

I saw the documentary mentioned earlier, where Alex Reid decided to train in a comedically non realistic fashion for his fight against Tom Watson by travelling around the globe and spending about a week each at numerous gyms / dojos instead of with his trainers back home. KFM Spain, with Andy and Justo, was one of those gyms.

I will say that, from the outset, the KFM focus on aggression and fitness was clear. However, from my perspective, the emphasis that should have been placed on pressure testing live techniques was re-routed into what I can only describe as 'combat oriented self affirmation rituals' where Alex fought large groups of fast moving, totally non committed, KFM students.

Now, I have no way of knowing if this is the norm. Perhaps Andy trained Alex in such a manner because he knew Alex could already fight. Or perhaps he was highlighting certain areas of training he wanted to make public (fitness and rbsd are both big business MA wise in the UK). I do realise that the KFM aristocracy probably weren't expecting to be judged by that 60 minute exposure, and so I don't intend to judge them thereby.

However, I will base some questions off that program:

How much full contact sparring does the average KFM practitioner engage in?

What, in full detail, is the MA background of Andy and Justo (apart from hints at a JKD background under Dan Inosanto mixed with justos deadly Spanish Gypsy fighting methods, the UK MA scene was never fully decided on what was claimed or how legitimate it was.)

Regarding the techniques showcased in the show (largely the penco-something guard, where you have your elbows up and you're combining offence and defence, I apologise that I cant remember the name of said technique) I am dubious. Could you explain what full contact test of said techniques was made, and if those tests are a part of current training?

I would like to thank you for coming forth sir, because I was curious, what, 8 years ago, I suppose? And KFM seems to have left Britain (as have I) since then.

I know you're hoping for first person perspectives, but until someone turns up who can give them, your answers to my questions, backed up with videos and documentation, would be a great starting point for interested persons.

Thanks again for your time,

Battheo.
Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast