pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    On the other hand: you're a celebrity, you're getting so much attention and I guess you think that a number of people are looking up to you or feel that you're some kind of role model. You feel strongly about something. Wouldn't you think... with all the media attention I get, if I don't try to do something, who else would?
    In fact, I approve of what he did. He stood up as a man, and said no, **** this, and that's also a quickly vanishing sentiment today, and at least he took a punch over it. On the other hand I also stand by what I said before. Given the info so far, I can't say which side I'm really falling on. Why was he doing this for CNN? He's not a reporter. Was it a publicity stunt? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by evilstan View Post
    How dare Christian Bale try and do something positive with his influence!
    Well what the **** is Christian Bale's influence supposed to mean to some Chinese guards? If some actor from the other side of the world that I've never seen or heard of came up and started demanding things of me I'd tell him to **** off. There's plenty of ways to use his influence positively without going "I'M MOTHERFUCKING CHRISTIAN BALE, DISOBEY YOUR SUPERIORS FOR ME! CHRISTIAN BALE COMPELS YOU!"

Considering all the ways he might use his influence, what he actually did seems more like a guy who wanted to have an article about him that starts with "Batman Punched".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:03pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I

Well what the **** is Christian Bale's influence supposed to mean to some Chinese guards? If some actor from the other side of the world that I've never seen or heard of came up and started demanding things of me I'd tell him to **** off. There's plenty of ways to use his influence positively without going "I'M MOTHERFUCKING CHRISTIAN BALE, DISOBEY YOUR SUPERIORS FOR ME! CHRISTIAN BALE COMPELS YOU!"

Considering all the ways he might use his influence, what he actually did seems more like a guy who wanted to have an article about him that starts with "Batman Punched".
    I don't think that is what he meant by influence. I read it as people look up to him, he is in the limelight, his name will draw attention, why not draw attention to something worthwhile. If so I can agree with that. The drama draws greater attention to what he believes is an important issue.

And the PRC aren't going to conveniently dispose of Christian Bale who was in China by invitation with an international news crew.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's consciousness-raising. People are more likely to read a "Batman punched..." article than "Another Chinese dissident treated poorly" article. We're all talking about it now. Also, Bale invited CNN to accompany him, not the other way around. Clearly, given prior incidents of reporters and others being beaten up by guards (Chen Guangcheng is under house arrest; he's not in prison) Bale didn't think the guards would either surrender or just ask for autographs. He was looking to create an incident, and did, and he's not in a Chinese prison now partially thanks to the CNN crew and partially thanks to his fame. So what?

Having said that, it is odd that CNN said "Yes" and decided to come along on an exclusive basis. There's a line between news-reporting and news-making and they were toeing it here, if not crossing. But that's hardly Bale's problem.
    Last edited by Rivington; 12/16/2011 7:13pm at .

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:08pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who else remembers this? How exactly does he compare to this? Is he some Bob Geldhof? No he's not, he was shooting a film in China, and without really getting where he was he tried to do an interview, **** that, he hasn't stood up for anything. Change is not caused by people like him, its the poor bastards no one ever heard of, in their numbers, suffering for change to happen. So no, **** him, he's a douche.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Who else remembers this? How exactly does he compare to this? Is he some Bob Geldhof? No he's not, he was shooting a film in China, and without really getting where he was he tried to do an interview, **** that, he hasn't stood up for anything. Change is not caused by people like him, its the poor bastards no one ever heard of, in their numbers, suffering for change to happen. So no, **** him, he's a douche.

So do you think it is better to have a mass effect or none at all?

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, Tank Man didn't actually stop a massacre in Tainanmen Square, right? Of course "poor bastards no one ever heard of" make change, and history. Everyone does, on some level, when they try something. People just work with the tools they have, whether it's access to media, or a reputation in the workplace, or organizational skill, or sheer courage.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:20pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is he some Bob Geldhof
    Apart from this, what has he done? Nothing.

He was in the area, and with CNN, and made a minor scene, he is hardly championing any cause. It's a worthy cause, I just dont agree that he is worthy of being a defender of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apart from this, what has he done? Nothing.

He was in the area, and with CNN, and made a minor scene, he is hardly championing any cause. It's a worthy cause, I just dont agree that he is worthy of being a defender of it.
    In this case, better than doing nothing.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123