Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 4:58pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated.

So apparently, Strikeforce is going to finish the Heavyweight Grand Prix, the winner is going to have one more fight against a "top heavyweight contender" and then they are going to close out the division.

Talk about crazy. Crazy awesome. It seems almost certain that the UFC is going to absorb the heavyweights from Strikeforce, which means we may get to see Cormier, Bigfoot Silva, and--if the stars align and Dana isn't being an ass--Josh Barnett. Hell, depending on how the Golden Glory stuff ultimately pans out, we might even see Kharitonov. Exciting times.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/1...ollowing-grand

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not excited at all. Now the careers of a large number of excellent HW fighters are at the mercy of Dana "Hissy Fit" White, the man who cut AN ENTIRE MMA GYM from his promotion in an attempt to strongarm Overeem into sucking his cock.

This will mean good matchups, yes. It will also mean that several fighters will now find themselves out of a job and thrown into the minor leagues fighting for peanuts. The most obvious possible victim is Barnett, who is an extremely legit fighter who has come to blows with UFC management on more than one occasion. He will now go back to fighting the Zuluzinho Du Jour in Japan, wasting his prime.

Sure, you can put your faith in Dana not being an ass. You can also put your faith in water running uphill. Neither are that likely to happen.

Although I guess that with both Barnett and Fedor gone, we may finally see them fight....Japanese promoters, make that fight happen!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 8:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Who knows? I haven't heard of them going back to war with each other since this picture was taken in May.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 8:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like it.

The UFC can only put on so many shows, so by closing out the division they'll still be sending a load of fighters back to the small leagues for no good reason. One promotion with a monopoly simply can't handle that many fighters without creating some kind of national belt system and finding a way to put on a ton more shows.

The advantages of the UFC monopoly is that the best fighters are more likely to meet, but the disadvantages are wider reaching imo.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 12:02am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strikeforce - Business as usu...oh wait.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 12:35am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Dana isn't being an ass...
    Yeah... I don't think so about that one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Fox deal will add 4 big events a year, and they're retooling TUF to make it a reality show tacked onto a live event Friday nights. If that means we get some non-TUF fights (I know, I'm optimistic), that's 26 additional events right there. Plus 6 Fight Nights. I don't know if we've reached the PPV saturation point, but further expansion into television is a way to put on more fights. Zuffa was considering buying a network and turning into the UFC channel; in seven years when the Fox deal is up, they'll probably go through with that.

Absorbing Strikeforce's Heavyweight division adds even more depth to an already deep division. I can't help but be excited by that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 10:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking forward to

Barnett vs Mir.
    Kongo vs Sergei.
    Cormier vs Carwin

I don't see how this is a bad thing. The HWT division could use more talent and I don't know how much Nog and Carwin have left. Back surgery is no joke and the amount of punishment Nog has taken during his career has to catch up to him sooner or later.

There is a chance we will see Cormier drop to LHW since he is teammates with Cain.

I think this is going to result in better PPV cards and more free cards. They have to put fights on Fox and FX
    Last edited by skey91; 12/16/2011 10:16am at . Reason: Expand

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 11:01am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG the heavyweights might have to work as hard as the lightweights now!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 11:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how this can be interpreted as anything other than good news.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast