Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 9:26am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering that I am alive thanks to breathing control, it's not bullshit. Granted, it wasn't breathing control ALONE but alot of things(corticosteriod nasal sprays, ventilstors etc.) that kept me alive when I was a kid. Being immunocompromised due to having bad baby-sitters that starved me, having allergic rhinitis AND asthma, I have to tell you that breathing control really HELPED me survive that ****.

More importantly, it keeps me in a relatively healthy state in the present.

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 1:56pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Breath control is indeed doable and usable. A fun way to get some bio feedback is with a heartmonitor wrist watch. Watch the HR and increase or decrease your breathing. You can with practice raise and lower your HR at will.

Deep breathing also can be used for things like meditation or self hypnosis. I had to learn that technique for dental procedures, I'm highly resistant to novicain and have an unusally thick jaw that you simply cannot get a nerve block on. So ya. All dental prodecures are done without a nerve block.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 5:22pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Not fecies but I think more complicated than just a Booj deep breathing exersize. I train with a guy who does free diving and because of that pays a lot of attention to breathing oxigen depravation maintaining Co2 levels.

I have had it explained but it is mostly over my head. But if you are smarter than me that is direction I would suggest you look to get a good understanding

What I can do though is give you an example of my first ice bath. which sent me into a mild panic attack and then required breathing control to sort out.

And watching me have a **** fit should be fun anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=1791933431826
    lol. Is your voice always that high? or was that the ice talking?
    So slowing your breathing when you're knackered CAN help you recover? When your body is screaming for oxygen is restricting intake really the answer?
    Last edited by jdempsey; 12/17/2011 5:31pm at .

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    So slowing your breathing when you're knackered CAN help you recover? When your body is screaming for oxygen is restricting intake really the answer?
    If that breathing is being controlled and you are focused on the exhalation phase of the breath than yes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 5:44pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when doing my fight training I have been paying a lot of attention to deep breathing in between rounds, sometimes I even close my eyes. I feel this deep breathing and reaching a semi meditative state helps me maximize my recovery in a one minute rest period.

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 3:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are looking for a recovery breathing method between rounds you may want to check out vibration drills. Sonnon has a DVD called RESET thats pretty good. For a short version lets go to the video;

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 8:08am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    Normally I sound like barry white.

Otherwise yes sorta. Think about hyperventilation and 16 year old girls passing out because they have too much oxygen in their system. (An expert will come in and correct this to some sort of Co2 register thingy).

I think it is two fold. Slowing your breathing empties your lungs allowing space for air to get in and slows your heart rate so you require less air.

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 11:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    If you are looking for a recovery breathing method between rounds you may want to check out vibration drills.
    Actually I was looking for something to help when I find myself talking too fast. Seems to happen just after lunch usually.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The breathing technique I was taught is to sit up strait, and breathe in through your nose while focusing on air going into your abdomen as well as the lungs. When you have a full breath, breathe out through your mouth slowly. When all of the air is out, push a little more air out of your stomach until ALL the air is out, then repeat.

It has the side effect of having to focus on your breathing in order to get all the air in and out. This allows you to block out some of the other thoughts that can jump in and out of your mind.

So I use this to recover in between rounds, as well as helping me focus when I've got too much going on.

As to the proof, and all that stuff, try it out and see what you think.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 12:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good video on "Samba" and shallow water blackout for those interested:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast