Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 4:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is breath control bull feces?

I just realised I'm still doing **** I learned in the Bujinkan. Is it possible to slow your heart rate or calm yourself down by deliberately taking slow deep breaths, or is this just more BS?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 4:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it does. Relaxing, settling the heart, and relieving tension via breathing is fundamental to meditation. Or massage, for that matter, if you ever have a therapeutic massage, you'll notice that the more relaxed you get, the deeper your breathing, and lower your heart rate.

You can test it too, if you have a home blood pressure kit, or just check your pulse before and after.

Your heart pumps faster when your body feels it needs more oxygen, so by deep breathing (making each breath maximally efficient in terms of oxygen intake) especially with the diaphragm, your blood pressure will generally be lower. With practice you can learn to breath like this while doing some high intensity exercises.

As an asthmatic, this kind of breathing is the only way I can do that kind of thing without passing out.

I also know at least two people who feel that qigong-type breathing exercises have helped with their high blood pressure.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/15/2011 4:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 5:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mastering your breathing is probably the most important thing you will ever do for your health. Also, plenty of top grapplers such as Rickson Gracie and Erik Paulson say that diaphragmic breathing while grappling gives you more endurance and faster recovery. To do this visualize on breathing into your stomach not your chest.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Breath control is useful for all sorts of things. Ever learn to take a punch to the guts? You probably used breath control. Sitting in meditation for long periods uses the breath in more than one way.

Controlling the breath can definitely calm a person down. When dealing with terrified or upset people, they'll calm down quite a bit if you can get them to establish calm breathing.

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 6:03pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh80 View Post
    Mastering your breathing is probably the most important thing you will ever do for your health.
    Not even close. You sound like a systema (guy, practitioner, ist?). Eating right, getting a decent amount of exercise and sleep, and even brushing your teeth 2x day are much, much more important than breathing "correctly." Don't major in the minors, as they say. Get these things straightened out and then worry about things like breath control.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 6:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Hole View Post
    Of course it does. Relaxing, settling the heart, and relieving tension via breathing is fundamental to meditation. Or massage, for that matter, if you ever have a therapeutic massage, you'll notice that the more relaxed you get, the deeper your breathing, and lower your heart rate.
    While I agree with your overall point, this sir is a fallacy of false cause.

relaxing activity slowing breathing =/= slow breathing causing relaxing.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 7:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Not even close. You sound like a systema (guy, practitioner, ist?). Eating right, getting a decent amount of exercise and sleep, and even brushing your teeth 2x day are much, much more important than breathing "correctly." Don't major in the minors, as they say. Get these things straightened out and then worry about things like breath control.
    Systema practitioner, thats a bit below the belt. Yes, I now realize saying "the most important" is not correct. My point is that correct breathing is overlooked and correct breath control is vital in many applications. Eg. Using power breathing to not seriously injury yourself when lifting a heavy weight.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 7:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PT forum some of you need to calm down.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not fecies but I think more complicated than just a Booj deep breathing exersize. I train with a guy who does free diving and because of that pays a lot of attention to breathing oxigen depravation maintaining Co2 levels.

I have had it explained but it is mostly over my head. But if you are smarter than me that is direction I would suggest you look to get a good understanding

What I can do though is give you an example of my first ice bath. which sent me into a mild panic attack and then required breathing control to sort out.

And watching me have a **** fit should be fun anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=1791933431826
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 12/16/2011 7:19am at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    While I agree with your overall point, this sir is a fallacy of false cause.

relaxing activity slowing breathing =/= slow breathing causing relaxing.
    I don't know that these are 100% mutually exclusive, because with zazen meditation for example, controlling and focusing on how you are breathing is exactly how one reaches a relaxed , meditative state.

Sure they are not the same thing, but I think it's more a biofeedback mechanism than one or the other exclusively. Learning to breath right helps you relax, which helps you breath slower and easier and more regulated, which also helps you relax better, and so on...
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast