Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 5:22am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gongkwon Yusul

Does anyone have first or second hand experience with Gongkwon Yusul?

Apparently it's a mix of BJJ and Kyokushin, which sounds just lovely. I'm going to be in Seoul for a year, and this might be something to have a look into.

As far as I can tell, Kyok striking rules, No striking from the clinch and grapple (from what I can see), and Judo style takedowns.

Anyway, what I'm actually looking for is personal opinions on it. I'll probably go and have a look myself, but I know very little about striking. Is this good striking or not?

(There's a caveat on this for me, I'd like to do striking, but as I'm blind in my right eye, I want to lessen the amount of shots to the head I'll take, hence an interest in kyokushin style striking, kicks notwithstanding)
    Last edited by 100xobm; 12/15/2011 5:32am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 8:46am

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SAERCH PHUNKSHUN KNOB!!!

There are a couple of threads in this very forum I would post them for you but I'm not sure how to do that with Tapatalk

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beak The Halls View Post
    SAERCH PHUNKSHUN KNOB!!!

There are a couple of threads in this very forum I would post them for you but I'm not sure how to do that with Tapatalk
    I have searched. That's how I've gotten the information that I have.

What I was more interested in are first or second hand experiences because all I could find was

"Lordy Lou, That looks interesting." or an analysis of the videos. I have not found someone say

"I smasha de face in gongkwon yusul! Next dojang he goes to better have wheelchair access amirite?" which would be handy.

I'll search again anyway.
    For you.

(Edit) Sorry, let me clarify, I meant GKY in Korea, not the American seminar. There seems to be quality control issues regarding satellite branches.
    Last edited by 100xobm; 12/15/2011 5:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    (Edit) Sorry, let me clarify, I meant GKY in Korea, not the American seminar. There seems to be quality control issues regarding satellite branches.

Ok that's going to be tough. I just did a 10 min search all over the internet and couldn't find any first hand experience just a whole bunch of the stuff you don't want.

Either way I can't let you go without a heaving spoonful of some good olde fashion unsolicited advice.

When ever you get to Korea if you do decided to train GKY please get a supporting membership and start a training log so we can finally have the firsthand experience angel on GKY.

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 11:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beak The Halls View Post
    Ok that's going to be tough. I just did a 10 min search all over the internet and couldn't find any first hand experience just a whole bunch of the stuff you don't want.

Either way I can't let you go without a heaving spoonful of some good olde fashion unsolicited advice.

When ever you get to Korea if you do decided to train GKY please get a supporting membership and start a training log so we can finally have the firsthand experience angel on GKY.
    I do crave the blue name thingy as much as a BJJ blue sash.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2011 3:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tukkong, Gongkwon Yusul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I originally wrote about Gongkwon several years ago on this site and others.

Just 2 quick points:
    1. Master Kang (the Founder) now speaks pretty good English. When I first started, he didn't speak any. I used to sit and answer all the English emails for him.
    2. Some of the fighters in the video do not appear to be Gongkwon students. Based on the uniforms, there are some Teukgong Moosool, and possibly Hapkido students.

One point I did notice when training in Gongkwon is that several of the students held dan ranks in other styles. I remember one of the Gongkwon yellow belts beating the blackbelts in grappling. When I commented about how amazing the guy was, I was told that he already had a 3rd dan in Yudo/Judo. Its somewhat rare for Koreans to change styles when they are of that rank, so it speaks highly for Gongkwon.

You are correct when you mention the Yudo style take downs. Master Kang has a strong background in Yudo, although his original dojang style was Hapkido.

Finally, Gongkwon has very strong "manners". At the end of training, everyone goes around and shakes hands. One thing that did impress me was there was never any macho BS.

There is another kiwi who has trained in Gongkwon - more recently than me. He sometimes lurks around so maybe he will post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2011 11:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey OP are you still planning on heading to SK with all that might go down in the North?
    Tapatalk