POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've been trying to find some information on this. I remember being told, or possibly read, that this high stance was an older style of holding your hands that was used before golves were intraduced to the sport in Thailand. The reason was that it would be better to use your elbows to protect your head because if someone kicked your hands into your face, it wasn't going to be a very effective defense.

Once gloves were intraduced, it was realized that a lower guard could be more effective in protecting the ribs and head at the same time, but it was still common to raise the hands up and cover the head with the elbow if you could respond in time to head kicks and punches.

If I find the a link I'll put it in here. But most instructors that I have came accross teach a stance that is almost just like a boxing stance, with the foot placement a little different due to kicking.
    As long as you bring the forearm up to block you can easily use a boxing stance without relying on your gloves to absorb impact. a decent example of what I'm getting at would be Crazy Monkey style - I don't mean to endorse their style, but the blocking aspect of it is definitely sound.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real high elbows out guard is used when you can throw elbows to the head. Obviously having your elbows low and tucked against your body is not a great position if you want to elbow someone in the face. The more boxing like guards come from so many people fighting without elbows and/or clinch in play.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll tell you what my coach tells us, "PUT YOUR FUCKING HANDS UP."

I was always told that as you get tired your hands start to drop. By building the habit of the hands high up on the head, as they drop they're still in a position to protect your face.

New people at my gym are constantly reminded to keep both hands glued to their head. As a person develops their game, then they can start adjusting the hand position to better fit their own fighting style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 12:20am

Style: VAJ, Sei Shin Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best advice I received when training and what I teach now is to not concentrate so much on keeping your hands up, but keeping your elbows into your ribs. This accomplishes three things:

1. It protects the body with the arms, keeps people from throwing blows underneath the elbows, and keeps you in a crouched position.

2. If your elbows are in then it is much more difficult for your hands to come down away from your face because it is an unnatural position to have your hands out.

3. Your punches are thrown in a more relaxed position because when you throw you actually loosen the elbows away from the body. A more relaxed punch is faster than one thrown really tight.

This is what I teach and there are a lot of different styles that work well for different people.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 9:07am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My teacher was so anal about keeping your hands up when you are new, that if you dropped your hands you had to do your entire work out for the rest of the day while holding a ball to your head pressed between your glove and your cheek.

That sucked!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 11:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinstitute View Post
    The best advice I received when training and what I teach now is to not concentrate so much on keeping your hands up, but keeping your elbows into your ribs. This accomplishes three things:

1. It protects the body with the arms, keeps people from throwing blows underneath the elbows, and keeps you in a crouched position.

2. If your elbows are in then it is much more difficult for your hands to come down away from your face because it is an unnatural position to have your hands out.

3. Your punches are thrown in a more relaxed position because when you throw you actually loosen the elbows away from the body. A more relaxed punch is faster than one thrown really tight.

This is what I teach and there are a lot of different styles that work well for different people.
    Great idea unless you're throwing elbows. The different guards have different applications.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 11:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like sparring elbow-flarers.

When the opposition has hands up to his face, his flared arms can help feed an uppercut, uppercut-elbow or front-kick to the underside of the jaw when he's moving...and the elbows need only be slightly flared for it to work like a charm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are absolutely correct about the different applications. I know Thai style fighters that fight in much more of a walking style with the hands out in front of them and everything is forward, forward, forward, punches and kicks be damned.

I fight and train with elbows as well and while it's a little slower, the protection of the body outweighs the advantage of the speed. I also throw my elbows after a punch when the elbow is turned out so I'm not leading with an elbow strike.

Like I said before, lots of different styles that work great.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinstitute View Post
    You are absolutely correct about the different applications. I know Thai style fighters that fight in much more of a walking style with the hands out in front of them and everything is forward, forward, forward, punches and kicks be damned.

I fight and train with elbows as well and while it's a little slower, the protection of the body outweighs the advantage of the speed. I also throw my elbows after a punch when the elbow is turned out so I'm not leading with an elbow strike.

Like I said before, lots of different styles that work great.
    You compete with elbows? What style?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't compete anymore. I suppose I should have stated "spar" up above and not "fight." My apologies. But my fighters compete in Mixed Martial Arts and they are allowed to throw elbows in competition here in Colorado. Just recently they changed the rules and made elbows legal only to the body for amateurs. However Pros are still able to throw elbows to the head.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12