Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 3:47pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay so i've managed to get the scarf hold negated into normal side guard for now so it's 1 thing that's pretty much not bothering me anymore.. but the fury and rage that i feel towards side control..if my feelings would have mass i would implode and turn into a black hole the size of which the universe could not contain.. my rage would swallow up HISTORY itself to destroy side control. my fury would wipe out the starting lineage of whoever it was that came up with the mere idea of side control and the lineages leading to his lineage..it would **** up the past so badly that there wouldn't be a future anymore.. (/rantover)

right so im trying my damn everything..i'm basically imitating a wild horse gone crazy on steroids and crack on the bottom i can somewhat prevent the crossface (and get kimurae'd 8 times out of 10) well the best i've got was with the hip bump but i guess the guy was expecting that and kinda just rode with me

im .. that close (the space between the dots) to just strapping myself full of knives and needles and mines just to avoid side control :S hell so far the best way to "escape" it was to ask the guy to just mount me

maybe my brain just isn't properly wired for grappling :S maybe i'm just that damn stupid as to miss something vital (or maybe..just maybe i'm letting my anger cloud my thoughts in when i get side controlled..but..its just sucking the very essence from me..suffocating my soul and destroying my dreams and hopes)

yes i did just get out of mat practice. yes i did get side mounted like hell. yes i am rather emotional and peeved off about it.. mostly because i feel like there's basically no progress in that area for like forever and i'm expecting better from myself

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenitys View Post
    (i've only trained groundwork for about 10 months) the anxiety part is more or less "i'm not doing something thus i am losing" mentality for m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenitys View Post
    maybe my brain just isn't properly wired for grappling :S maybe i'm just that damn stupid as to miss something vital (or maybe..just maybe i'm letting my anger cloud my thoughts in when i get side controlled..but..its just sucking the very essence from me..suffocating my soul and destroying my dreams and hopes)

Dude, you've been at this for 10 months. If you're going to ponder the maybes, then maybe you're just an egotistical idiot perfectionist who needs intensive sports psychology counseling.

Seriously: STFU. HTFU. Train. Train again.

I think it bears repeating without abbreviations: Shut the **** up. Harden the **** up. Train. Train again.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ this. Keep at it killer, side control escapes are easier if they are proactive instead of reactive. Also have the mentality of not letting him settle into the position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 7:52pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To quote Aesopian:

"At 6 month you think you got it, but you don't. At a year you know you didn't have it before, but that you do now. After three years, you know you didn't have it before and you're only starting to get it."

Or something like this.

Basically, you're still a noob. STFU and train.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 8:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Step 1. Find friendly higher belt, if BJJ, purple or above preferably.

Step 2. Show him/her the position you always get caught in and how you got there.

Step 3. Ask for him/her to show you some solutions.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 5:14am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Tom said is 100+% true. It will come and fall into place, you will get there. It's a long journey. Two months ago I thought I would never get good at passing and establishing any kind of solid control. Now I do that effortlessly. From how I read it, you restrict yourself too much. Keep an open mind, train harder and you will get there. Side control is a bitch if someone does it well. I have training with very competitive BJJers who have a certain problem when I lock side control (from where I usually don't really know what to do ;))...

Also read what jnp said about asking higher belts :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 6:08am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i should refrain myself from posting right after soul crushing practice... but yes i agree i am a very egotistical perfectionist :S

don't worry i will just shut up and go train now :P

(oh i just realized i invented T3H R34L anti-grapple strapping myself with land mines = anti-grapple)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 1:24am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn to recognize when side control is likely to happen and fight for good posture. Don't be flattened out, don't give up the cross face, etc. This will make your experience of it less harsh and your escape much easier. Yeah I knows, easier said than done, but practice. When it's just normal training, don't feel you need to tire yourself out working for the escape if he's just pinning you and not advancing for better position or subs... wait for him to try something and that's your moment of opportunity. <--- absolutely NOTS expert advice

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 9:06pm

Style: Muay-Thai, Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trouble with side control as well, I find mount easier to escape...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 2:16pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The vids and advice from the experienced grapplers in this thread is great and has helped me a lot.

One thing I am trying that has really helped with my side control escapes is...try not to get pinned flat on your back (duh), if i realize they are going to get there I turn into them and get on my side to create space and not allow them to get fully set in top side. It seems to help get me some space to get the knee in.

I am still terrible (8 month white belt) but this seems to have made bottom side mount less intimidating.

Are there any other good transition tricks if you know your opponent is gonna get to top side?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast