Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 9:44pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    The most fundamental escape from under mount or side mount is the elbow escape. That is where you should start. Here's the no-gi variation. This is the best video I found after a 10 minute search. This gentlemen covers a few key points that some of the others I watched left out.

Notice how he drops his hips to make the space to insert his knee. Another example of moving yourself instead of trying to move a resisting partner.
    I've noted those two different ideas with the head control for framing. Both shown here

Kurt/Lemmy had the arm inside the head, to create pressure from the neck.

JNP's vid shows pushing on the outside of the head, Demian Maia shows it this way also.

Are there positives and negatives to each of these? Which is more effective? or is it more a attack whichever is the weaker angle at the time kinda thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:06pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    Are there positives and negatives to each of these? Which is more effective? or is it more a attack whichever is the weaker angle at the time kinda thing?
    They are both excellent techniques, and it is a case of "attack whichever is the weaker angle at the time kinda thing". In other words, there are positions where one of these techniques is the better answer in both cases.

In fact, using them in an alternating manner would be a good example of one of the two step chains that Petter mentioned earlier.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 3:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the guy is super tight with his side control you won't be able to frame inside ala the Kurt video. Also, doing so can sometimes open up a wrist-lock counter. To my mind the Maia version is more powerful, but you have to let him closer to do it and, if bodged badly, there's a far-side armbar opening.

You can also, as jnp alluded to, do the Maia/outside of the head version in order to open space to get your hands inside. I do that a lot, works also against being cross-faced in the half-gaurd.

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 4:19pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    If the guy is super tight with his side control you won't be able to frame inside ala the Kurt video. Also, doing so can sometimes open up a wrist-lock counter. To my mind the Maia version is more powerful, but you have to let him closer to do it and, if bodged badly, there's a far-side armbar opening.

You can also, as jnp alluded to, do the Maia/outside of the head version in order to open space to get your hands inside. I do that a lot, works also against being cross-faced in the half-gaurd.
    Thank you fellas.

Followup question:
    Much risk of the bad guy slipping his head around into an arm triangle on the maia version?

EDIT: Bad guy? **** I'm tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bad news is you either suck big time or work with people who know the value of a good pin. The good news is it seems, given your brief description, you're at least getting some halfway competent live instruction - thus, you'll get better with more time in.
    So, stop worrying about it. If you can't let it go, come to NYC and I'll introduce you to a tiny little old man Judoka who happens to have a world-class pin. He'll squash your anxiety over being flat on your back right out of you.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 12/16/2011 7:16pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 7:42pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uhm was that directed at me ? i admit to sucking gleefully :D (i've only trained groundwork for about 10 months) the anxiety part is more or less "i'm not doing something thus i am losing" mentality for me

by pinning in this do you mean tightly making sure there's no space for your opponent to pretty much do anything (including breathing in some uhm "slightly" bigger cases)

i should've probably added that this was the latest thing i was working on before my sick leave from practice and i wanted mostly food for thought and ideas what to start working on when i get back to training instead of simply you know being still and healing up

i am also flattered by your invitation and would take you up on it would i have moneys to fly halfway over the world (well almost)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 12:39pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, side control will for always suck. Its such an established position, because its solid and hard to escape. If the other guy is halfway decent at keeping side control, and that's all he's doing, you're likely not going to escape right now. If he is working for other options from the side control, that is the time to escape.

that, or right before he establishes a crushing side control you gotta be gone already.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let them control your head use your frames to prevent this (ie T-rex arms) side control becomes infinitely easier to escape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 3:50pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well syphilis i tend to agree with you as i usually hope for dear life that once someone gets side control that someone will try to mount me and i make absolutely no resistance to people mounting me from side control as it feels to be a hundred times easier to escape

now as to this controlling the head i meant to ask earlier what exactly do you mean by this, like do you mean someone getting an arm under your head ? pushing head to the side ? (i feel both of these somewhat categorize to head control but my feeling and reality are often 2 very different things)

or did i completely miss the point and if so please explain :D

goddamn i think im asking too many questions and not just doing enough practice (2 more weeks >.>)

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenitys View Post
    now as to this controlling the head i meant to ask earlier what exactly do you mean by this, like do you mean someone getting an arm under your head ? pushing head to the side ? (i feel both of these somewhat categorize to head control but my feeling and reality are often 2 very different things)
    Exactly the crossface. For now focusing on blocking that arm from controlling your head. This will allow you to shrimp as well escape to your knees.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast