Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 3:23am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What are my options here?

I know there is a solution to this, there must be a reason everyone tells me to sit on my heels when in the guard, but for the life of me I canít figure it out.

I have a tall guy in my guard and his arse is well off his heels and heís postured straight up, I canít control his posture by his arms due to the sweat of no-gi and the underhooks and head control are so far up I donít have a hope of getting it. I canít hip bump or scissor sweep without control of his posture/arm (my go-to moves).

What I can do is underhook either leg, but once I get here Iím stuck. My flower sweep is ok (I use it from failed armbars successfully) but without that posture control it must look like Iím trying to have my way with the guyís leg. Any suggestions?
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 7:05am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    there must be a reason everyone tells me to sit on my heels when in the guard, but for the life of me I can’t figure it out.
    This sounds odd. Do you mean when in someone else's guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I have a tall guy in my guard and his arse is well off his heels and he’s postured straight up, I can’t control his posture by his arms due to the sweat of no-gi and the underhooks and head control are so far up I don’t have a hope of getting it.
    Where are his hands? By this description it sounds like he is just standing on his knees.

Also, wrist control. Regardless of height his hands have to be somewhere near you.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    This sounds odd. Do you mean when in someone else's guard?
    Yeah when in someone else's guard we're taught to have our weight sunk back on our heels, hands tight and pushing into the floating ribs, posture straight. Have i had this backwards and standing straight up on your knees is correct?

Where are his hands? By this description it sounds like he is just standing on his knees.
    Also, wrist control. Regardless of height his hands have to be somewhere near you.
    Pretty much straight up on his knees, the guy is 7 foot tall but his hands are still there. Problem is i'm unable to control him with just his wrists and two hands on one of his arms just ends up with him slipping straight out due to sweat.

I've never been so consistently trounced by someone with similar experience to me before. My go-to strategy with this guy lately has been to let him pass to side control and work from there.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight back hands on floating ribs is fine. I just was confused by your original post and thought you were talking about your own guard.

If he is standing straight up on his knees hop up to your knees and work. There is no reason to keep yourself on the ground and try to pull him down. I'd open my guard and get higher so I can get better grips. Still though work on your wrist control if you are grabbing the wrist in the right spot (just behind the hand) sweat shouldn't make that much difference.

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, thank you! Never even considered getting up myself.

Next maybe you can teach me how to deal with the jab of a 7 foot tall man, this guy is causing me headaches all over the gym :P.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the jab of a 7 foot tall guy is just a bag of suck.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 4:48pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If neither of his hands/arms are on your body (or if they are, they are below your belly button), keep your guard locked and bring your knees to your chest (reverse crunch) to make him fall forward. Do this the moment his butt leaves his heels. Trap the arm that he uses to prevent face-planting and get your underhook/over-under grip. If you get this timing down, you will frustrate the hell out of people who have bad posture in guard (lift their butt off their heels, but aren't trying to stand).

Also, if he isn't sitting on his heels, then his knees are no longer blocking the sides of your hips. Come up on an edge/elbow and quickly begin moving yourself around him with your guard locked. He'll probably panic and give you an arm. You can again reverse crunch to get him to fall forward from that angle (opens up the back further).

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 7:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking forward to trying some of those tips tomorrow, thanks Skippy.
    Kenny Weldon

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 10:51pm

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    If neither of his hands/arms are on your body (or if they are, they are below your belly button), keep your guard locked and bring your knees to your chest (reverse crunch) to make him fall forward. Do this the moment his butt leaves his heels. Trap the arm that he uses to prevent face-planting and get your underhook/over-under grip. If you get this timing down, you will frustrate the hell out of people who have bad posture in guard (lift their butt off their heels, but aren't trying to stand).

Also, if he isn't sitting on his heels, then his knees are no longer blocking the sides of your hips. Come up on an edge/elbow and quickly begin moving yourself around him with your guard locked. He'll probably panic and give you an arm. You can again reverse crunch to get him to fall forward from that angle (opens up the back further).
    If you start to get low on his leg while in half guard, bringing your knees to your chest with the same "reverse crunch" is a great example of moving yourself instead of your sparring partner. Although in this case you end up moving him up and over you in order to take his base away and set him up for the sweep.

Here's a related tip. When you're in the guard, have decent control of at least one arm and leg and from the viewpoint of the horizontal plane, anytime you can maneuver yourself so that your partner's center of gravity (somewhere in the abdominal region for most folks) is more than 6-8 inches (15-20 centimeters) past your own center of gravity, you will have significantly compromised his base.

Now if you found that explanation confusing, I'll say it like this instead. For a huge number of sweeps, you have to get underneath him to successfully sweep him.

Also related to bringing the knees to the chest while in the guard (and on my side), bringing the top knee up to my chest and making a frame by gluing my elbow to the inside of said knee when I start to get passed is an integral part of my re-guard game.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

Also related to bringing the knees to the chest while in the guard (and on my side), bringing the top knee up to my chest and making a frame by gluing my elbow to the inside of said knee when I start to get passed is an integral part of my re-guard game.
    We should work this next time you come in. It's a safe option for my knee.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast