218358 Bullies, 7234 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 8:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    Also to some extent I agree with Goju.
    I think the beatings Lesnar took in both the Carwin and Velasquez fights have completely rocked Lesnars confidence.
    I agree 100% those beatings shook his confidence - because he realized he had a serious flaw as a fighter.

That's not Goju's position though. His view is it was the disease that fucked Lesnar's confidence.

Goju also wants to somehow blame what he views as a shitty gameplan against Overeem on the disease.

I'm tired of this argument so I'll end here. In closing - **** Lesnar. He's a dick. I'm glad he'll never have a UFC title again because he didn't give a **** about the sport. He wasn't a student of the game. He made zero effort to connect with the fans. He had zero respect for his competitors, at least until they started stomping his ass. He was only in it for the money and status. Who wants champions like that representing the sport? Not me.

Lesnar had a strong but limited skillset. There was no way he could've had consistent success over the long haul with his deficiencies as a fighter. It took a few fights for his competitors to figure him out, but when they did he was finished. If he had been forced to work his way up like everyone else this process would've occurred before he ever made it to contender status and he probably never would have even earned a title shot.

Adios, schlong chest.
    Last edited by Devil; 1/05/2012 8:56am at .

:)

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll leave these here.

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll add these then...

:)

Posted On:
    1/05/2012 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 9:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    Now all we need is for Rogan to learn the names of the throws rather than just calling everything "judo Throw" or "Judo toss"
    I was thinking the same thing during the fight. I felt like classifying all Judo techniques as a "Judo throw" was a bit embarrassing. I understand Rogan is a BJJ guy and is clueless about the intricacies of Judo but I thought it would be nice to hear the names of the throws. I could certainly learn from it since I can fit my Judo knowledge in a thimble.

But...I've been thinking about it a little more and honestly I'm wondering if it would be too much for many casual fans.

I can hear it now. "Wut is Joe Rogain talkin' 'bout? Why is this mutherfucker talkin' Chinese?"

I was talking to my brother-in-law a few weeks ago. He loves MMA but all his martial arts knowledge comes from watching the UFC and Strikeforce. He's been watching a long time but he thought BJJ and Gracie JJ were two completely different martial arts. He thought Ceasar Gracie's team was so successful because they do GJJ instead of BJJ.

I don't know if expecting the fans to understand the relationship between Judo and BJJ is too much. Considering Judo may have several different names for variations of throws that look exactly the same to non-Judo players, I don't know if it makes sense. Maybe it would be better to use English terminology like "inner reap" and "outer reap." Keep it broad and simple rather than trying to share the Japanese name for every technique.

I know the casual fan has been able to learn names like omoplata, etc. so you would think they could benefit from hearing the names of Judo throws. But omoplata and other subs are seen as "finishing moves" and they're usually easily recognizable. I don't think you'll ever achieve that level of understanding with judo throws.

What do you guys think?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 9:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These things have perfectly comprehensible English names in wrestling, he could just use those. Mir did it all the time when he commentated on the WEC.

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 9:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He only really needs to learn one throw name - Harai goshi.

I actually think saying 'Judo throw' is better than naming each technique in Japanese.

1. Because Goldberg will **** the names up and Rogan will never be able to properly correct him.

2. Saying 'Judo throw' consistently re-enforces the name Judo with spectacular throws in the fans minds. That's no bad thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 9:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scut Farkus View Post
    I was thinking the same thing during the fight. I felt like classifying all Judo techniques as a "Judo throw" was a bit embarrassing. I understand Rogan is a BJJ guy and is clueless about the intricacies of Judo but I thought it would be nice to hear the names of the throws. I could certainly learn from it since I can fit my Judo knowledge in a thimble.

But...I've been thinking about it a little more and honestly I'm wondering if it would be too much for many casual fans.

I can hear it now. "Wut is Joe Rogain talkin' 'bout? Why is this mutherfucker talkin' Chinese?"

I was talking to my brother-in-law a few weeks ago. He loves MMA but all his martial arts knowledge comes from watching the UFC and Strikeforce. He's been watching a long time but he thought BJJ and Gracie JJ were two completely different martial arts. He thought Ceasar Gracie's team was so successful because they do GJJ instead of BJJ.

I don't know if expecting the fans to understand the relationship between Judo and BJJ is too much. Considering Judo may have several different names for variations of throws that look exactly the same to non-Judo players, I don't know if it makes sense. Maybe it would be better to use English terminology like "inner reap" and "outer reap." Keep it broad and simple rather than trying to share the Japanese name for every technique.

I know the casual fan has been able to learn names like omoplata, etc. so you would think they could benefit from hearing the names of Judo throws. But omoplata and other subs are seen as "finishing moves" and they're usually easily recognizable. I don't think you'll ever achieve that level of understanding with judo throws.

What do you guys think?
    There's probably only about half a dozen or so Judo throws that ever get used in MMA so I don't think it would be that difficult for him to learn and use the names.

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 9:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Saying 'Judo throw' consistently re-enforces the name Judo with spectacular throws in the fans minds. That's no bad thing.
    That's a really good point. The reason I was thinking about it in the first place was because it seemed like a shame to minimize Judo by basically lumping all Judo technique together. I didn't think about it that way, though.

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 10:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scut Farkus View Post
    That's a really good point. The reason I was thinking about it in the first place was because it seemed like a shame to minimize Judo by basically lumping all Judo technique together. I didn't think about it that way, though.
    Yah, just have a browse over the proliferation of Hettes threads post 141 in MMA and other MA forums they're all titled along the lines 'sweet Judo', 'awesome Judo toss' etc...

So even people who don't really know what Judo is and have never set foot in a dojo will think Judo = awesome takedowns. I'm content with that.
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast