Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 6:46am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All Alone

I have been thinking of taking advantage of my boxing gym's workout facilities.

I am planning on coming in at around 1pm on Mondays and Wednesdays since those are the only times I have free other than the official times coach is present. Thing is- since this whole thing is located in a community centre and the gym isn't exactly big or luxurious (wooden floors, no air con, only one dead lift bar, one running mill, one rowing machine etc) they could not be bothered to hire a trainer/fitness instructor and the boxing coach does not know anything about lifting. I came to check at those times twice and there were no one working out then either (again, its a small place).

So, question:
    Let loose in a gym but with no idea to do and no one to help, should I start following stuff I read from the internet/books (e.g. the ones that are stickied here or information about StrongLift 5x5) or what??? I really am looking forwards to toning my body so starting as soon as possible is recommended :)

Thank you!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 7:17am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't advise strong lifts without someone around to spot/help if you get in trouble - especially if you are not an experienced lifter. Maxing out on the bench and not being able to get that last lift off your chest is one possible problem, as is getting stuck in a squat or losing balance and dropping the bar. it's a different story if you're lifting lighter weights at higher reps but 5x5's involve lifting weights you can't push with proper form to a 6th rep.
    Any time I ever ended up alone at training for striking I usually work on bag work or shadow boxing with a focus on the technical aspects. That and maybe some skipping or kettlebells will give you a good solo workout.

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 7:41am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...=2170990908026

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...=2171056709671

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...=2103736346704

These days I will do a five minute set of weights with a five minute set of abbs and so on.
    For simplicity just pick an exersize and do it for a minute and then change exersize. Dont worry about all that tabata stuff.

My abbs would be

1 minute sprawls.
    1 minute planks.
    1 minute side plank
    1 minute side plank
    1 minute sprawls

Should be easy enough to find a bit of weight and start throwing it around. (I really need to film our kettlebell routine.)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a heavy bag? Are you good at skipping rope?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 6:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are going to do stuff like stronglifts hire an experienced trainer to show you the correct technique and make sure you have it down.

Depends what you are really after and enjoy doing. Any fitness goals you want to achieve can be done via barbell training, kettlebells, body weight, etc.. I hate going to gyms so I focus on bodyweight and kettlebells.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 9:28pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Is there a heavy bag? Are you good at skipping rope?
    Yes there is and I am decent at skipping rope but I want to do something else I wouldn't normally be doing in class anyways :P

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 10:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there's a squat rack, a bar, and some plates, then buy yourself a copy of Starting Strength and start learning to lift. (StrongLifts is OK, but the instruction is much better and more comprehensive in Rippetoe's book.) Do squats, deadlifts, overhead press, power clean, chin-ups. Ignore the bench press if you don't have a spotter.

If you have a camera, take video of yourself doing the lifts after a few weeks and get your form critiqued.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 8:06pm

Style: mostly BJJ with some Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have just a bar and some plates....

learn a basic deadlift variant....hits most of the muscles on the backside of the body and a fair few on the front

learn to strict press...this hits the tris, delts etc

from there, once you have a basic foundation in these lifts maybe you are hitting 1.5+xBW for a few reps and you are pressing half BW for a rep or two.....you might want to think about learning a few of the quick lifts eg power cleans, power snatches, push presses etc

if you have a power rack to SQ in...you should be okay to train on your own....provided the safety pins and other things are in good shape and your technique is good.....i would advise as the others have that you obtain some hands on instruction if possible but you can learn from a book as i did...but it will take longer depending on how good an athlete you are.

no need to complicate this stuff, you are a fighter first and lift to improve your boxing not the other way around...

for instruction on the basics Rippetoe's stuff is good and for the OL stuff....Tommy Kono's book is the ****....though it is geared more towards the comp lifts not the power variants.

hth,
    phil