Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 10:23am

Style: spectator

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Well, if you would say that anything is better than nothing, then you would be content with what they get now.
    Heh. Cute. But I cleverly phrased it as a question, deferring to you experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    What is so baffling? How would you propose training a bunch of cops on different shifts, when you have a limited budget, and no instructors in the area?
    I don't know (flinging hands up in frustration). It's just that most professional careers require some sort of continuing education, so I was thinking that law enforcement ought to, too.

[OT: let's see if I did this quoting thing correctly]

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 10:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if we are going to be realistic the quality of "continuing education" can be just as useless in other professions. Also, it doesn't always address the real needs of the job. Half the "continuing education" my mom did for her library had nothing to do with library science. They do have continuing qualifications/education of certain areas within their job.

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 12:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    if we are going to be realistic the quality of "continuing education" can be just as useless in other professions. Also, it doesn't always address the real needs of the job. Half the "continuing education" my mom did for her library had nothing to do with library science. They do have continuing qualifications/education of certain areas within their job.

For our industry we have to do defensive tactics as a continuation of our licence. It generally comes out of the same package that seems to be brought out for all of those government acredited workskills training that I have done . five minutes of instruction three hours of bookwork.

BTW I gooseneck people but I do it with two guys. If I am one up and want to arm lock somone I use the hammerlock mostly.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 1/13/2012 12:44pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 12:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's exactly what I mean. I do the same the thing as well. All of ours our are online. They actually put in a program that forces people to slow down.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MovableBookLady View Post
    I don't know (flinging hands up in frustration). It's just that most professional careers require some sort of continuing education, so I was thinking that law enforcement ought to, too.
    All cops go through continuing education. It is done yearly at the minimum, some do it quarterly or bi-anually. But if the techniques used to begin with are bad, it just creates a continuation of uselessness. But in some places, thats all that is available. And it is the only thing aproved by the state for acceptable tecniques to use. What can you do?

Some people (my situation) are on special squads or teams, that get more advanced training. The squads trained monthly in all sorts of advanced defensive tactics. Like advanced ground fighting, special munitions, and baton techniques. But this type of training is not available to everyone because the logistics of it would be impossible.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 5:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MovableBookLady View Post
    As several people have mentioned, there are many skills sets to be trained in LE. Most continuing ed allows the officer to self select what they will take. This leads to reinforcing rather than evening of skills. When I was a reserve I always made range training. I'm a gunny, go figure. I understand the need to do DT work and know it is one of my weaknesses, but I did not make it to the DT sustainment training.

In high crime areas you also occasionally see the "crime is too bad to pay officers not to protect us" argument. Budget cutters, civic hand wringers and politically minded police leadership sometimes claim things are so bad that we absolutely must have officers on patrol every second they are on the clock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 6:02pm

Style: spectator

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point, chemsoldier, about reinforcing rather than evening out the skill set as a result of self-selection.

I guess all I can I can say is good luck to you folks on the line ( and even better luck to the ones who don't have good skills).

Thanks to all for the informative replies.

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost
    What do you guys think about this lock?

It's fairly widely taught in law enforcement and security, but you never really see it in any kind of competition.
    Tori should have uke's elbow in his armpit while pushing uke's head away with his right hand to maintain distance from his toolbelt, putting an obstacle against a possible punch to the head and keeping him unbalanced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 1:10pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a personal note I feel what some people don't notice (if they have never done this kind of shift thing) and as Diesel mentioned is that time is very hard to plan when you are in a shift-system like most LE officers are. Even if they have the money to pay for it themselves they don't have the time-frame which others have to continue and be training each day or at least regularly.

We did Wing Tsun and ATF standards when I was active in the Military Police. But when it's late and you have had a few bad night shifts you want to get back home, kiss wife and kids and not into a gym.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123