Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678
  1. #71
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,005
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl View Post
    again, it depends on the style. some are more literal, some are abstract, and some just use another art altogether. the goal in translating weapons work to empty-hand is to not have to learn a new way to fight just because neither you nor your opponent(s) have a weapon. it's not to be the best at empty-hand fighting, it's to be good enough to survive.


    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. In Guro Inosanto's old book on FMA, starting on page 130, he has a series of pics showing a variety of strikes all coming in on Angle #1 - a staff, a stick, a barong, a dagger, an overhand punch, a nunchaku, a staff (swinging backhanded), a palm strike, knife hand, hammer fist, dagger in icepick grip, backfist, and hammerfist swinging backhanded.

    The point is, they're all coming in through that same zone, and there are going to be many commonalities to dealing with a strike coming in through that zone. Rather than worry about "this is a nunchaku technique" or "this is a sword technique", focus on the elements that make them the same, to streamline your training. In every one of the strikes mentioned above, you could use the exact same footwork (modified for range, as I mentioned in an earlier comment upthread).

    (oh, and in reply to Eskrimador regarding sinawali being the blueprint of FMA, I disagree)
    OK, thanks to both of you. That clears a lot up for me. Also, what is the name of that book? I'm always up for a good book. I've got Remy Presa's Modern Arnis book, but have been looking for more.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  2. #72

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    158
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    OK, thanks to both of you. That clears a lot up for me. Also, what is the name of that book? I'm always up for a good book. I've got Remy Presa's Modern Arnis book, but have been looking for more.
    it's called "the filipino martial arts as taught by dan inosanto." it's long out of print, but you can probably find it on the net somewhere. also, the 'history' section is more myth than history, so if you find something interesting in there, research it before believing it.

  3. #73
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Filipino Martial Arts is available in PDF form on the net if you look around a bit. I have it on my computer but its been there a long time and I don't remember how it got there.

  4. #74
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,005
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. In Guro Inosanto's old book on FMA, starting on page 130, he has a series of pics showing a variety of strikes all coming in on Angle #1 - a staff, a stick, a barong, a dagger, an overhand punch, a nunchaku, a staff (swinging backhanded), a palm strike, knife hand, hammer fist, dagger in icepick grip, backfist, and hammerfist swinging backhanded.

    The point is, they're all coming in through that same zone, and there are going to be many commonalities to dealing with a strike coming in through that zone. Rather than worry about "this is a nunchaku technique" or "this is a sword technique", focus on the elements that make them the same, to streamline your training. In every one of the strikes mentioned above, you could use the exact same footwork (modified for range, as I mentioned in an earlier comment upthread).

    (oh, and in reply to Eskrimador regarding sinawali being the blueprint of FMA, I disagree)
    Thanks, I just down loaded the book! Funny, I guess I wasn't too far off, based on that book. When I described the literal translation of the #1 angle and related it to and over hand right.

    I'll be picking through this one for a while!
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    61
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskrimador View Post
    Again, and I've said this before, it's a general style. South East Asian Combatives. It's a mixture of various forms.
    Okay, understood.

    Is there a website? What are the root systems that were mixed together to create SEAC?

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically if you've only done the drilling with your FMA, your ability to transfer to live opponents will be relatively weak, as a lot of the highly transferable stuff only comes out once you're covering distance with a fair amount of force. Sorry to be super-late, I haven't been checking bullshido as much.

  7. #77
    It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy.... supporting member
    Dr._Tzun_Tzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,528
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. In Guro Inosanto's old book on FMA, starting on page 130, he has a series of pics showing a variety of strikes all coming in on Angle #1 - a staff, a stick, a barong, a dagger, an overhand punch, a nunchaku, a staff (swinging backhanded), a palm strike, knife hand, hammer fist, dagger in icepick grip, backfist......

    ..... all coming in through that same zone, and there are going to be many commonalities to dealing with a strike coming in through that zone.
    Like this?


    It is called Transition in Latosa Escrima.

    "If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc


  8. #78

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Oxfordshire UK
    Posts
    10
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    OK, thanks to both of you. That clears a lot up for me. Also, what is the name of that book? I'm always up for a good book. I've got Remy Presa's Modern Arnis book, but have been looking for more.
    Krishna Godhania's "Eskrima: Filipino Martial Art" is recent book worth checking out (trying to avoid being bias here due to training in Warriors Eskrima) which covers a broad range of FMA's aspects including the usual stuff like single stick, baraw, pangamut/panantukan, double stick, sibat, espada y daga, flexible weapons and projectiles. It also has nice sections on anatomy and the Self Defence and the Law.

    My first post was not meant to be a plug or anything, some times thats just the way she goes. A lot of good points raised in the thread.

  9. #79
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,005
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalichap View Post
    Krishna Godhania's "Eskrima: Filipino Martial Art" is recent book worth checking out (trying to avoid being bias here due to training in Warriors Eskrima) which covers a broad range of FMA's aspects including the usual stuff like single stick, baraw, pangamut/panantukan, double stick, sibat, espada y daga, flexible weapons and projectiles. It also has nice sections on anatomy and the Self Defence and the Law.

    My first post was not meant to be a plug or anything, some times thats just the way she goes. A lot of good points raised in the thread.
    Thanks, I'll check it out! And you should start a thread in noob town, and tell your background and where you train.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do the weapons translate to other weapons and empty hand usage? The reality of it is, not necessarily. To be proficient in a specific weapon you train with it. Every weapon has it's differences, its up to the user to know what works with what weapon.

Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO